Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type engine light and possible misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type engine light and possible misfire

Hi,

I have a 2003 manual X-Type. A couple of months ago the engine warning light came up on the dashboard. I couldn't find anything noticeably wrong with the car so continued to drive it and after a couple of days it disappeared. It has since then occasionally come back on but it is quite rare.

Over the last week or so a problem has started to develop under hard acceleration. The engine seems to struggle and judder which I believe may be the result of a misfire. It doesn't always happen but when it does dropping it down a gear usually resolves the issue. I've noticed it happen at varying speeds but most commonly at around the 3K-4k rev mark. Once or twice when this has happened the engine warning light will flash.

Any ideas what might be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Raslok,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 02-25-2016, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome to the forums, Raslok. A lot of friendly helpful people here.

As to your issue, it sounds like the car is going into Safe Mode, where the car will not go over 3K RPMs. When the light is flashing that is not good and means the issue is severe enough it could start causing damage to the catalytic converters. So, whatever is causing that have it addressed quickly. Probably the best way to get the most accurate help is to have the codes read and post the numbers here.

My first guesses would be the plugs need changing or the intake manifold gaskets are leaking and there is oil in one of more of the plug wells causing the misfire. Or possibly a vacuum leak. I know it probably sounds catastrophic, but chances are it won't be too bad to address. So, post the codes first.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

+1 get codes

If it's misfiring as it sounds, you're busy destroying the cat(s).