X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type Engine Oil Leaks plus Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Type Engine Oil Leaks plus Noise

Hi, this is Martin in Ohio. My car is a 2005 X Type Estate Wagon in BRG.

Two questions: Engine Oil persistent leak. I have tightened all of the pan bolts which can be reached from under the car. These are limited to the rear facing side of the engine block. On the fronts, can I access the front pan bolts by removing the underside splash shield or even the front bumper?
Here at home, I an not able to lift the engine or drop the front suspension as per the recommended way. Just want to tighten the pan bolts.

Second Question. Squeak noise coming from right rear side, over rough pavement. Related to driving over bumps or concrete separations. Otherwise, silent. Is there a way to identify the squeak (i.e, half shaft, universal joint, shock absorber, control arm bushing)?? I don't have a lift
although I can put the car up on stands.

Any advice is appreciated,

Best Regards,

Martin

Old 02-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Removing the front bumper will do you no good. Taking down the splash shield will, and it's much easier. I've seen some posts about oil pan leaks and/or pan gasket replacement. Maybe some more experienced members can advise you.

When I got my car last May I noticed some "junk in the trunk" noise that needed looking at, especially from right rear. I found that the bushings in the forward lower control arms were shot. I ordered Dorman replacements from Rock Auto, and ended up doing sway bar links, then later on some Bilstein shocks. By the way, the Moog sway bar links are not good quality, even though they were made in Germany; one came apart not two months after I put it in, and there's plenty of others on the forum with the same complaint. I replaced the bad one with a Lemforder part that's much better quality. For your car, I'd say put it up, remove the wheels and have a look. Replacement is pretty straightforward, but the M12 attachment bolts are a bear to get out. Here's a video I've seen that also may help:

Attached Thumbnails X Type Engine Oil Leaks plus Noise-r-lower-fwd-arms.jpg   X Type Engine Oil Leaks plus Noise-r-lower-fwd-arms1.jpg   X Type Engine Oil Leaks plus Noise-r-sway-links.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 02-05-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added video.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:39 AM
Default 2005 X Type

Thanks, SwingWing

I'll make the inspection as you suggested. Here's a pic of my car.

Attached Thumbnails X Type Engine Oil Leaks plus Noise-jaguar-x-type-2005-estate-wagon.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 05:50 PM

Re your oil loss, have you checked around the main crank pulley area! The crank seal can/does leak

Old 02-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Wagon looks great - very rare I'm sure.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

While you are under there, give the oil filter a twist. I once thought my pan was leaking but ended up my filter was loose.
Many squeak causes, if jacking up the rear 1st try moving the top-bottom of the wheel in and out, if any wobble it's the bearing. Check and see if the swing arm had a jack put under it and bent it. Eliminate them easy ones then go on to the rubber parts, shocks.