Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Fan stays on (new)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017 | 04:38 AM
|
Default X-Type Fan stays on (new)

Good Afternoon,

I know there are other posts containing similar problems, however, none of them address this particular issue.

I have a 2006 X-Type 2.0 and have recently (3 months ago) changed Ignition coils, plugs, etc. and more recently (last week) have had to change the knock-sensor.

Yesterday, after a trip on the freeway (about 40 km) and upon parking the vehicle, I noticed the fan was still running - I ignored this (as it was quite warm here in sunny Johannesburg), thinking it may switch itself off in a few minutes.
I returned over 2 hours later and the fan was still running. Luckily, the car started and I drove home (the return 40 km).

The heat gauge stood perfectly in the middle,
the Aircon worked fine
There was sufficient coolant.

When I arrived home and turned the car off, the fan continued. I removed the battery terminal. This morning I reconnected the battery and the fan immediately turned on. Engine cold, had been standing over night, coolant still full, no apparent leaks. Aircon was off, so was the cabin fan and still, the radiator fan continued.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this problem?

thanks in advance

Roshan

Old 01-30-2017 | 06:49 AM

I'd say it's a failed fan control module, which is the silver box in upper left corner of the fan shroud. The problem is finding a replacement, as Jaguar does not sell the module by itself. They want you to buy an expensive new fan assembly.

Attached Thumbnails X-Type Fan stays on (new)-fan1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Roshan Naidoo (01-31-2017)
Old 01-30-2017 | 08:09 AM

My car did this and it was a faulty cylinder head sensor. I found if when stopped and the fan was running if I switched off then on again the fan stopped.

The following users liked this post:
Roshan Naidoo (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017 | 03:41 AM
|

Thanks Swingwing,
Hope I can get an Auto electrician to 'fix' it...

Old 01-31-2017 | 03:43 AM
|

Thank you Dunks,
Will give it a try and pray it works. Although, I vaguely remember switching on an off a few times... will give it a conscious try though.

Old 02-02-2017 | 03:27 AM
|

Hi folks,

has anyone any idea on how one might be able to test the cooling fan control module (relay)? As Swingwing explained, Jag doesn't sell this separately and it cost around 10 grand here for a complete fan assemble. I can import a control unit from China for $70 - but that will take about 12 - 30 days transit. Is there a way to test it or repair it?

Old 02-02-2017 | 08:27 AM

Have you tried looking at local breaker yards?

Old 02-03-2017 | 04:38 AM
|

Hi Swingwing,

Yes I've tried all that I could find. Also tried online - people stripping and selling off spares. no luck...

No matter though, have placed the order from China via ebay - no choice now but to wait.

Thanks for all the feedback.

regards
Roshan

Old 04-06-2017 | 02:33 AM
|

Hi Everyone,
Just an update on the cooling fan module...

I received the part from China around the 22nd of March and fitted it. Once I reconnected everything and turned the ignition on, the fan immediately came on at high speed! I switched the connectors around (top to bottom) with the same result. I decided to live with it... the next time I drove the car, about 3-5 Km and switched off for a few minutes (dropped my kid off at school) when I restarted the car, the fan did not come on... I smiled, thinking the problem had sorted itself out. I was mistaken, by the time I got back home, the car was slightly over-heating... Smile gone!!! turns out, the module stopped working. I sent the manufacturers a note and they were kind enough to send me a new one for free (courier at my expense). However, I received the new one yesterday and fitted it last night. Sad to say, I had the same result, the fan is activated as soon as the ignition is turned on. I haven't driven the car yet.
Just a side note: the fan remains on high speed until I turn on the aircon, then it drops to a lower speed.

Any thoughts at this point would be greatly appreciated.

regards
Roshan

Old 04-13-2017 | 06:25 PM

Roshan, I am surprised you were not able to find a used module. There are regular adverts on Gumtree by scrapyards in your area breaking up X-types. My view is that the R11000 or so plus labour that it will cost you to fit new parts is small compared with what it will cost you if the engine overheats. Get a quote from Jaguar.

Old 04-18-2017 | 02:15 AM
|

Originally Posted by Davidvdm
Roshan, I am surprised you were not able to find a used module. There are regular adverts on Gumtree by scrapyards in your area breaking up X-types. My view is that the R11000 or so plus labour that it will cost you to fit new parts is small compared with what it will cost you if the engine overheats. Get a quote from Jaguar.

Hello Davidvdm, thanks for the advice. As for the Gumtree ads. I called pretty much all of them and in all cases they had already sold these modules. I will keep looking though.

Old 04-24-2017 | 02:29 AM
|
Default Cooling fan Drama - part 2

So I managed to find a scrapyard with the module still on the fan. They insisted on selling the complete part, so now I have a spare fan.

Anyway, I fitted the module, turned the ignition and the fan stayed off.
I let the car Idle for 30 minutes and when the the temperature was high enough the fans turned on.

Yesterday (Sunday) I decided to take it for a drive. Temperature reached normal and fans worked. Until the gauge passed the middle point. The fans were on full speed but the gauge kept rising. I had to switch off and let it cool down several times until I got back home. The fans stayed on for quite some time but turned of by themselves, eventually.

Can I assume that I now have a problem with the thermostat?

thank you
Roshan