Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type or Ford Focus

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Det
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default X-Type or Ford Focus

I'm new to the forums and just posted a question in the new member intro.

I've now found this section and realised I probably should have posted it here.

Sooo..

I'm here to find out why diesel X-Types are so cheap to buy when they look like such a great deal.

My wife is looking for a car and has her mind set on a Ford Focus. I, on the other hand, would like something that turns me on as well and have always wanted a Jag so I'm working to persuade her that a diesel X-Type would be a great option.

My problem is that she wants to know why, if Jags are such terrific cars, we can buy one for less than an equivilent aged Ford. I'm afraid I can't answer that.

So help me out please and make my Jag ownership dream a reality.

Please bear in mind that if I buy a dud she'll never let me forget it.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (01-14-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Get your wife to test drive both. She'll fall in love with the X Type, they are that good. I'm on my second and would usually have changed again by now. I love it so much I'm keeping it. Do the usual used car checks. Pick a good one and it will cost no more to run than the Focus but will make you feel special every time you get in it.

The following 2 users liked this post by hebally:
Det (01-13-2014), Stuart Beattie (01-15-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Det

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think I'd broken some taboo by mentioning the Focus on here.

That's just the type of thing I can use to back up my case.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:58 PM

I think the X Type is the most under rated car on the market. People assume they cost a fortune to run and it deflates prices. Which is great when you are buying one!

I just noticed you're a fellow Scot. I'm on the Isle of Lewis, where do you live? :-)

Stuart Beattie (01-15-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Det

I'm over near Elgin, but I'm afraid I'm an incomer.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:24 PM

That just means you had the good taste to move to Scotland!

There's another thread running here and I just posted some tips on what to look for when buying an X Type. It may help (and will save me typing it again).

The following 2 users liked this post by hebally:
fay66 (01-15-2014), Stuart Beattie (01-14-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 05:26 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Det
Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think I'd broken some taboo by mentioning the Focus on here. ...........
No problem mentioning the Ford Focus. Whatever you do, just don't go and buy it!

Graham

Old 01-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Det

Hi GGG.

I'm getting there. She's now at the 'if you want one then get one stage'. It may sound like agreement but those of us who are married realise the pitfalls of taking such a statement to imply such.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Det

Originally Posted by hebally
That just means you had the good taste to move to Scotland!

There's another thread running here and I just posted some tips on what to look for when buying an X Type. It may help (and will save me typing it again).
I'll go and find it. Cheers.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Det
'if you want one then get one'
For what it's worth my wife was like that when I got mine. She has now threatened divorce if I sell it. As if that's going to happen, I'd miss her too much............I'll let you decide which!!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

Det, part of what you are facing is the fact that you are dealing with the old time "traits" of a Jaguar where they needed constant tuning and the electrical system was "less than stellar". That is still holding over to this day. So, there are a lot of people that don't want them because of this "fear". The tuning issues have all but gone away with modern day computers and the electrical system is as strong as any car made as the harness is essentially the same one that goes in the Ford Mondeo/Volvo S40. Are there little problems with the car. Of course. But, name a car that doesn't have little problems. The trick is, we know what the problems are and it makes fixing it super easy.

The one "issue" with the car that may be a show stopper is if the car is the AWD version. If you want something that goes light to light, this is going to be an expensive car to own. The transfer case has issues and if you abuse the transfer case, it will fail and abuse you in your wallet. But, you drive sensibly and you can get a car that will last forever. I have 146K miles (over 200,000 KM) on my car still on the factory transfer case. The X-Type is a great cruiser, not so much a sports car for zooming around a track (granted, some members have done that and say they keep up with higher power cars due to the cornering ability of the car). The transfer case is what kills a lot of people from buying it here in the US as this has grown way out of control.

If you are looking at a FWD version of the car, then you really have nothing to fear. I say to get the car and enjoy the nice ride, the looks of "how can he afford a car like that" and just smile back as you live in luxury.

The following 3 users liked this post by Thermo:
Det (01-15-2014), fay66 (01-15-2014), Stuart Beattie (01-15-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Please tell me you are NOT comparing a Jaguar to a Ford :0

Old 01-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Well, the Focus is in a different class altogether, segment-wise and price-wise. And style-wise, really.

In the end, it's a choice between a 100% Ford and a 19% Ford

Old 01-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Its a question of popularity ...Focus is a default choice Medium mom & dad , cant go wrong , our Freds got one , safe ( If boring hatch back ) Jaguar is Oh my god Jags are expensive to run , old mans , rich git , I think he's a bank robber , they have just won the lottery , car. Funnily , I see more females driving X's than men . Just beware , that nice as it is , Diesel X's dont have the greatest reliability record.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Det
Hi GGG.

I'm getting there. She's now at the 'if you want one then get one stage'. It may sound like agreement but those of us who are married realise the pitfalls of taking such a statement to imply such.
In the thirty five years we've been married, I have never discussed the purchase of a car with my wife. The only complaint she has ever raised was when I had a 12 Seater Land Rover Safari. Going out for dinner one evening she did mutter "I hope we're not going in that bloody tractor" On that occasion I relented and took the Aston.

In the same thirty five period, she has never consulted me about decor.

Once you agree on the strengths and weaknesses, domestic harmony is considerably more certain.

Graham

Stuart Beattie (01-15-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Det,

Welcome to the forum.

I think you've had very good advice here and I take it you are after the deisel variant? If so then the AWD is out, which I think is the better car, alas I have no experience of the diesel so it is merely my opinion.

That said people I have met like the diesel and in my experience, if you buy a good detailed, respected and maintained vehicle with sound paperwork, then you are halfway there at least.

Being in Bonnie Scotland (and the state of OUR ROADS), rings in my ears because certain X Types have been prone to rust from the sills as they are badly designed and if its not cared for the rust will cost you on a lot of welding or worse!

I try to run my hand along the side sills when i wash the car to get rid of any trapped grime but obviously if you don't look out for it, it will do damage.

At the garage where I have my petrol X Type seen to, a guy spent a fortune having both sides of his diesel X Type welded (a lot of man hours and I'd hate to see the bill!!)

BUT in my humble opinion, that's a serious message of intent that the owner likes his X Type!!! And he wants to KEEP HER!

Having the AWD petrol car, I try to look after her the best I can and I think most Jag or X type owners and drivers in general would agree that the car is better when care is taken and I have had heaps of advice from this great place: www.jaguarforums.com

Here is one for the Missus, just in case :

Common Ford Focus problems - What Car?

I personally would by choice not buy any ford as I have had friends and family ripped off by unscrupulous ford dealers who deny there is an issue or fault and I hate them!

I can only think of the many (hundreds) of cases where the Ford Zetec engine has developed known faults, resulting in complete failure and cutouts/breakdowns on BRAND NEW CARS and they have denied the fault completely, to the point where several owners were forced to resell their vehicles at a substantial loss to second hand dealers who admitted there were faults AND FUNNILY ENOUGH *** THEY COULD FIX THEM AND SELL THEM ON AS FAULTLESS ***SHARKS*** IN MY OPINION. Check the HISTORY

But Ford and a dealer I know of, let's just say "arnie Joan of Arc" were completely in denial and refused any compensation apart form 1 person I know very well who dumped the car back on them and threatened legal action and they actually gave in.

But that case took around 6 months and a lot of stress was involved!

I agree with All the sound advice passed here and would just reitorate that I do believe many potential Jag buyers are brainwashed into thinking J A G.... ooh gutsy.. that'll cost a forch!!! (fortune!)

Byt the diesel is very frugal and jaguar put a lot of work into it and for resale value, I would choose the 2.2 over the smaller variant as they do seem to be more in demand.

But at the end of the day it's your choice Det, GOOD LUCK !

I for one would not have anything else, I have the X type and My Fair lady has a 2.7 Grand Cherokee and I think it's a damn good mix we have.... Obviously I''m saving for the XKR and the Mazerati just now .................

Regards, Stu and keep us posted, I'd love to hear how you get on?

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 01-15-2014 at 07:40 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart Beattie:
Bfitzy64 (01-14-2014), Det (01-15-2014), Five Speed (01-14-2014), GGG (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Det

Thanks to all for the advice and welcomes.

The car I had my eye on was advertised on Autotrader as a 2002 50k car at less than 2 grand.

Unfortunately when I finally got the ok from my wonderful wife and phoned the dealer, I discovered that it was actually a 2.5 petrol.

Now I need to persuade her that it is a good idea to spend half as much again over the Focus since the Jag is a much better car. This is going to be tough as my entire argument had been based on spending the same amount of money for more luxury and street cred.

I think I'll just work harder, buy her a Focus and have a Jag for myself.

Stuart Beattie (01-20-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Go for the 2.5 petrol. ( I've got one great all rounder ) 25....31 MPG . Great noise & no smokey exhaust , plus you get twin tail pipes ( added bling bonus ) If you are going to do less than 10.000 per year diesels are a bit of a waste . My petrol, hasnt been perfect , But easy to diagnose faults & wont cost a fortune to put right .

Stuart Beattie (01-20-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Det

I appreciate all the advice.

Thanks to all who took the time to help me.

I finally settled on a 2004 diesel X-Type SE. Full cream leather and all the trimmings. The petrol version was out of the question I'm afraid as I put around 25k miles a year on my cars and with the price of fuel here in the UK I simply can't afford the cost.

But I'm happy with the diesel.

Being an old man now I only drive slow anyway.

Stuart Beattie (01-21-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Det,

Thanks for the update and informing us of your most welcome choice, Good Luck and happy days in YOUR JAG!!!

The SE is I think a great choice with all the chrome and the Cream Leather!

Regarding the speed you drive, its your choice and I wish you safe sound and cherished adventures!!! Regards, Stu