X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type handling in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wifes X-Type does great in the snow. It is one of the reasons I purchased it for her. She has the Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on it. It really makes a difference for the winters here in upstate NY, more so for us being in the Adirondacks.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dennis Black

Hey Dennis Black, the black looks really nice. I have a 02 x-tpye 2.5, that is Pacific Blue. I believe Jaguar calls it a Antarctic blue, but the blue is a sweet color, everyone always tells me how much they like the color. I just wanted to comment on the rims you have on your Black, I know there not stock. But I'll tell you with the Black the chrome rims really bring out the good looks, and the grill makes the rest. Good looking car, but aren't all Jaguars good looking??? LOL

Old 02-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Almost of them all mesmerizing lol

Old 02-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Wow Dennis Black, gorgeous!! Same year as mine, 5 speed also. Where did you get that grill?? Can you order that, or did you modify one? I too like your rims.... great looking ride.....

Old 09-15-2010, 12:58 PM

I agree with everyone. AWD rocks on this car. I have a friend that has a Cadilac Scalade and he gets stock in snow, while I cruise right by him.

:-) I LOVE MY CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to chime in here and say I absolutely agree with how well this car handles in snowy and icy conditions. It used to take me three hours to get home when we had bad winter roads when I had my Chrysler mini van and then I got stuck in my own driveway. So when we had our first snow, I was out shoveling snow in the driveway to get the car out. This Jaguar just rides on through it no problem. I really shouldn't have worried. She just grabs the road!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

I can't wait to see how this does in the snow (02 X-type) - we should be getting some soon, so I'll report back on my first impressions after a good fall.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This will be my first minter here in Michigan with the Jag. Cant wait!

Was just wondering on some of these posts, why are the 02-03 Jags "better" for snow? Some of you keep mentioning it. What changed?

Old 10-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type
This will be my first minter here in Michigan with the Jag. Cant wait!

Was just wondering on some of these posts, why are the 02-03 Jags "better" for snow? Some of you keep mentioning it. What changed?
I think it has something to do with the distribution of power between the front and rear axles. Supposedly, the 02-03 models have a 50-50 split, while later models do a 60-40 ratio which results in a bit less control. Anyone that can confirm/deny this?

Old 10-25-2010, 11:56 PM

Blaydes....makes sense i guess. Ive heard people talk about the transfer cases goin a lot in 02-03 and the 50-50 would put more strain on it ;(

Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 PM

I wish i get snow this year so i can test my baby out... 03 3.0 x type

Old 10-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard that the 02-03 X-Types do better in the snow, but don't let that make you think the 04+ X-Types struggle. Both of the 18-20" snowstorms we got here in northern Virginia last winter had most of our neighbors abandoning all hope of leaving their homes for a day or two (due to Virginia not being at all prepared to deal with that amount of snow), but my 2004 X-Type plowed right through the stuff, even with the rather sporty directional tires I have on the car. I figured my wife's FWD SUV would do better in deep snow because of its significant clearance advantage (combined with FWD, which is pretty good in snow, and truck-ish tires), but there was no contest—the SUV (a Ford Escape) got stuck several times, but the X-Type never even hesitated. The Jag's manual transmission definitely helped, but the AWD gets most of the credit.

Incidentally, this is not saying anything against the Escape—it is an awesome small SUV.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the awd on my 02, I had instances up here in Canada that big trucks got stuck, ( their quite abundant) and my baby jag just plowed through, the leaper leading the way.

These cars are tanks in winter...literally and I think the only thing that would truly stop them is just running out of gas

Old 10-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Well after hearing all these posts...im actually excited about the snow this year!! LOL.

I wont be skitish on what tires then. Ill keep it an all season tire but sporty.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

What kind of all season tire?

AWD does not help you brake.

In Michigan, I'd still advise you to get a set of snow/ice tires if you plan to drive the X all winter long. While all-seasons may be somewhat acceptable, the danger is feeling overconfident with AWD. Also the car does not have much ground clearance. The rubber compound of a snow/ice tire will really make the car grip and go/stop.

I had aftermarket wheels with summer tires, I used the OEM wheels to mount a set of Hankook IceBear W300's. A great lower-cost snow/ice tire. With this set-up I never got stuck in 7 years of Pittsburgh winters - and we have some very hilly terrain.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tires and sstuff

Here at Lake Tahoe, we get snow all year round. In the winter we get tons. All season aren't what anyone who lives in snow country uses...They are for an occasional small snow amount. I have been running mud/snow Goodrich all year, and they work in the worst conditions. I have a 03 sport, and the tires come from COSTCO. Got the high speed and total cost was under $800, and they gave me a $80 discount. They will rotate, and balance every 2000 to 3000 miles, and fill with nitrogen..all included. Best deal in town. Just my oponion.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Well ive used all season on other vehicles and had good results but i see what your sayin. But here in my area of Michigan there isnt many hills. Ill see what happens.

Thanks

Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Default Excited!

New to the site, and loving what I'm reading in this thread! I can't wait to get my '06 X out on the wintery roads in Buffalo, NY. Set myself up with a set of some 16" steels and Cooper winter tires, and will be looking for the snow. First year up here without my Subaru AWD, so I have some high expectations to say the least. Here's to hoping Jaguar has better AWD than my past Impreza!

Old 11-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

GROUND CLEARANCE pfffft not a problem for the jag. yes I was running winter tires, toyo, I believe and they were great, My recommendation for winter drive like you would a rear wheel drive car, under no circumstance should you believe awd, abs, dsc, will prevent a accident all the time.

Driver ability= crashability

Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type
Well ive used all season on other vehicles and had good results but i see what your sayin. But here in my area of Michigan there isnt many hills. Ill see what happens.

Thanks
What part of Michigan are you in? I'm halfway between Flint and Ann Arbor.

I'll tell you my X-type was HORRIBLE in the snow when I first got it. But it had some sort of Goodyear tires on it that apparently were only sold at Walmart, and had very poor reviews when I looked them up. I swapped them out for Continental ExtremeContacts and it has made a world of difference. I highly recomend those tires for the price.

Since I put the Conti's on there I didn't have any concern about not making it where I wanted to go last winter, but the winter was sort of mild too. No really deep stuff to try to get through. We will see what this winter brings.

Quick Reply: X-Type handling in the snow