X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type no crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 09:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X-Type no crank no start

ok, i am at my witts end here. if it were not that this was my sons first car for high schol and college i would give up. it has been to fields jaguar in waukesha... there for 7 months and finally told we don't have anyone that can work on that old stuff. then to a transmission place friend of mine on the off chance he could find out. nope. then to Milwaukee motorwerks. They saif probably a module but they didnt have the equipement to be 100 percent sure. Is there anyone in the southeaster wisconson area that can get this thing going? do I have to junk a 90k mile car that is in great shape because of this? HELP PLEASE. I have other cars that I have rebuilt but these modern ones throw me. thanks in advance. Bob

Old 02-23-2023, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Your note is very thin on facts regarding the problem,but the most obvious cause of a no crank and no start situation is a failed battery. So, have you tried a fully charged (and that is important) new battery? Is the fob battery good?

Old 02-23-2023, 10:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Your note is very thin on facts regarding the problem,but the most obvious cause of a no crank and no start situation is a failed battery. So, have you tried a fully charged (and that is important) new battery? Is the fob battery good?
yes battery good and key fob good

Old 02-23-2023, 12:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

mphy98, there are tons of things that can make the car not want to start. So, lets start with determining if it is a security issue or if it is a power issue. What I want you to do is to get into the car and attempt to start it. But, as you start it, look down at the center console. You should see a black piece there with a red LED (the black piece is a coin holder). While attempting to start the car, is this light red? If so, your engine and whatnot is not the source of the problem, but more it is the safety/security system of the car that is not seeing something. IF you do get this red LED, try your second key (assuming you have one). Do you have the same issue? If yes, then most likely, you have either a problem with your instrument cluster, your ECU, or there is a transponder ring around where you put in your key. This is where having a program called SDD would be helpful as it would give a bit more info as to what the car is seeing and make it so you just hvae to replace a single module and you can reprogram the module yourself.

If the light is out when attempting to start the car, the next thing I would try is moving the gear shift to NEUTRAL and attempting again. If the car starts, then you need to adjust the shift cable some. If the car still does not start, then what I want you to do is to turn on the MAP light in the ceiling and then attempt to start the car. Does the light remain bright, go out completely, or does it dim.

We will start here. Beyond this, we start getting to deep into the troubleshooting tree and it can start to be confusing.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:06 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mphy98
yes battery good and key fob good
The battery in the key fob has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether the car starts or not. The transponder chip is powered by the sensor ring that reads it.