X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X type - Off topic section

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Hits V Post ratios!

Hah, I know exactly how you feel Aquill!

Give those blokes an exige, and they'll be happy all day. Myself, I love the Lightning. I was never into trucks (still not really into it), but recall back in '02 when this beautiful red lightning did I nice pass through downtown Ann Arbor. The side exhaust immediately grabbed my attention, as I then the whine and instantly nutted my pants!!!

At the time I wasn't aware of the Lightning, later I talked with my buddy who was really into the car scene back then (had a gorgeous FD), and he told me all about the Lightning.

It's my favorite truck and the only truck I'd ever drive. Now, I know there's debate that the Lightning didn't start it off for powerful trucks given the Typhoon, but I think a lot of respect should be given to the Lightning. It's such an overlooked car today. The bad thing is the stupid value really holds on these things.

If I ever have a lot of disposable income, I'd love to add a red one to my collection.

Heh, that episode of TG pissed me off too. I understand that American and British transportation routes vary quite vastly, but for the application the Lightning is a 'fun' car while surving a purpose. Doesn't given them a right to put off the car just b/c it doesn't handle the curves of your roads. I know the guys put off American cars to draw more interest by bringing in more controversy, but we still can't overlook that Hamilton has a collection of Stangs, while I believe Clarkson has a GT (not sure if he returned it or not, from what I heard he didn't enjoy much--idiot!!!). I also believe Tiff has been into some of the domestics. I recall seeing him driving the Focus ST on some show and having a blast in it.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I know! I was out selling some car audio near outside and I looked up saw this camaro swerve over and floor it...all of a sudden this huge noise like a freaking diesel had just floored it and you could hear some power screaming, I thought it was the camaro and he floored it so he could get over...nope he swerved in front of a lightning that was just freaking loud as heck...It was soo sweet! I didn't even notice it until it passed me! The sweetest part is that 380-390hp stock but you slap an intake, cat back exhaust and a pulley and your already looking at nearly 500hp if not more! You put a set of slicks or slick/radials and the thing would be even faster. I wouldn't care if it were a 1999 or newer I'd even take a 93-95! I had a 94 flareside. Although I'm pretty sure that 5.8 gets worse gas mileage! You can easily find a 99 for around $10k! Anyways yeah I pretty much didn't like how they write it off because their roads aren't anything like ours! I was p-ed off when he was driving the thing off-road! I'd love to see him take a s-type r out there and drive that off road...I really wouldn't but its the same thing! The truck ain't meant for the mud!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:26 PM

pistons=the suck.

What is wrong with this team? We can't beat the bulls apparently. So forget Boston, we'll be nable to beat the Bulls before we get to the eastern conference finals...shesh

Old 01-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Don't worry...no biggie! Look at boston they lost 3 or more in a row last week alone...how bout those wings? Shoot I watched like 3-4 goals in a matter of a 1/2 hour! Man I love that kind of hockey! So exciting! BTW you might want to check the NAIAS 08 post...

Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  6.4 KB

ORIGINAL: ancientsanskrit
Heh, that episode of TG pissed me off too. I understand that American and British transportation routes vary quite vastly, but for the application the Lightning is a 'fun' car while surving a purpose. Doesn't given them a right to put off the car just b/c it doesn't handle the curves of your roads. I know the guys put off American cars to draw more interest by bringing in more controversy, but we still can't overlook that Hamilton has a collection of Stangs, while I believe Clarkson has a GT (not sure if he returned it or not, from what I heard he didn't enjoy much--idiot!!!). I also believe Tiff has been into some of the domestics. I recall seeing him driving the Focus ST on some show and having a blast in it.
Unless I missed sumthin I think he still has it ancient. Loved it too as he said numerous times on the show.

Jim

Old 01-20-2008, 09:38 AM

Hmmm...thought I recalled him rambling about a couple of issues, plus it had some earlier recalls, which he wasn't too pleased about. Perhaps, I'm mistaken.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 24
Views: 22
Views: 19

Possibly mate. He's said on numerous shows about the American muscle cars being great, sounding great with the V8's and being fast " in a straight line" just not very good at going round corners or bends.
Mentioned the Caddies a few times with their soft suspension where you just bounce up n down forever after hitting a bump an all that.

I guess some its true and some of it is unfair

Jim

Old 01-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

I couldn't see them driving a ford! But ford has a totally different image and feel over that way...man I'd never not drive a ford if the cars looked like they do over there...I'd love the new mondeo! I love jims! Not to mention the 50mpg would be sick!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:04 AM

No joke, aquill. We always get shafted here. Look at the new Focus...that's one ugly car. Look at their Focus ST, :drool!

The thing is, while we pay next to nothing for Fords here, over there, being an import, they are a pretty expensive vehicle i.e. not for the common man. I maybe misunderstood, and one of you Brits can correct me, but take the Focus ST for example. I believe it's upwards of mid 20ks euros. Aquill, do you know anyone over here who would pay mid $20k for a Focus, I think not.

It does stink that we get that shaft on nearly everything over here, though. Would love to see some of those cars over here, too.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

A quote from a buddy :
"I'd like to eat a hamburger" ..... [&:]
Well, ignore it wrong quote the correct one is :
"I'd rather walk then own a Ford"

Old 01-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 20
Views: 26

You guys are soo hard on Ford! There's been a love affair over here with Ford for many years for many people, and there's been some fantastic cars over the years.
Why the big difference from the cars built here to the cars available in the states? I really don't know. Different markets I guess
Ancient - The Focus base model, Focus Studio starts at £11,695 up to the Focus ST at £17,995
The NEW Mondeo base model is the Mondeo Edge and starts at £15,195 up to the Mondeo Titanium X at £20,645

Jim

Old 01-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Your cars look way better than the cars here! They are so much sportier and you'd just have to see the cars.
For instance...(keep in mind I feel the taurus were great cars for little money and they are dependable and last for a while but they are frigin UGLY!)

Or this...

Or this...

NEED I SAY MORE???

Old 01-20-2008, 11:52 PM

Dude, that's not even cool!!!

I owned an Aerostar!!!! My first car, albeit for a month or so was an '89 Aerostar (dad gave it to me after he bought his Taurus)....now that thing was a blast to drive. RWD minivan for the loss! I recall it being a nightmare in the winter getting the damn thing up the driveway...haha

Now you know why I get so po'ed when I read about 16 yrs old kids getting X-types as their first cars...and I was 18 when I got the Aerostar, which shortly broke down. I was then car-less for two years after that!!

God, you know it's bad, when your direct family has owned at least two cars in that list. My father now drives a 99 Taurus!

Now, your post is not very fair though. All those cars predate back to the mid and late 90s, with exception to the Aerostar which goes back to late 80's.

This is a little more fair:

I know some people find them attractive, but I think they look awful.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 19

Hmmm I see what you mean Aquill. Isn't it just maybe the budget low end to mid range type of cars though?
There are some satunning examples of muscle cars that look awesome

Jim

Old 01-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah but even the budget cars you have over that way are still better than our cars...the look is totally different than here. Like the mondeo, I don't know why they don't bring stuff like that over here. Don't get me wrong though Jim I'm a ford guy, not a I won't drive anything but ford guy but I'm a ford guy that will stick up for ford whenever! Actually of the cars I've owned...Pontiac phoenix, Ford f150 flareside, chevrolet monte carlo, ford escape and the jag. I'm looking at another ford by way of mercury mountaineer.
This is what the 84' pontiac phoenix looked like...700 bucks and all I had to put on it were tires and muffler. So for like 900 bucks I got a car that had 13,000 original miles. The thing was like brand new. I don't have any actual pics on me as there were no reasons to take pictures!

1994 ford f150 flareside sold with 220,000miles

1997 Chevrolet monte carlo sold it with 204,000 miles

2001 ford escape...

The jag...you all know what that looks like...

Oh yeah I did have a 1994 ford thunderbird a couple of years ago...that was pretty decent...

Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 34
Views: 25

Really liked the F150 when I saw it on Top Gear...........for a big truck that baby could shift too. Of course JC went on about how it couldn't turn corners....lol but jeez that thing was quick n big enough for 2 families.
The monte carlo looks like a nice ride too Aquill.............did some mods on that I bet?

Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Ford Excursion ?
[8D]

Old 01-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Wheels and niteshade (transparent spray paint for lights) other than that just a radio...the f150 was stock with everything you see there. My dad bought it brand new in 1994 brand new from the dealer with custom red leather interior, custom wood trim, wheels, ground effects, 8.5 wide gay wheels, custom roll pan, two tone paint job, color matching front bumper and grill. Man I miss that truck! I'd love to get one again and get that paint job on it I loved the paint job!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 17
Views: 31
Views: 25

Deffo a nice piece of kit mate

Jim

Old 01-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks mate! Hey your going to be banned on here until you post some pics of your newly acquired ride!

Quick Reply: X type - Off topic section