X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Opinions/Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-Type Opinions/Help

So looking at changing spark plugs and intake gaskets on my 2002 X/w 3.0 auto. It looks straight forward but I am going to go ahead and dig a little deeper and change the knock sensor as well as the O-rings for the coolant tube and outlet that seems to be a known problem. Nothing is wrong with the sensor or losing coolant, but while I am in there I want to take care of it plus any other problems that I might find. Problem 1: Knock sensor. I have found two options. One is about $25 USD the other is much more. The cheap one states that it is for the "top" of the engine. The other says for the "side" of the engine. From the pics, they both look the same. Which one should I use? I don't want to tear down and install a new one just to find out I installed the wrong detonation sensor. Also will be flushing the cooling system at the same time. Any recommendations on coolant that meets the Jag spec without purchasing from a dealer?

One last thing. It's very odd and has happened twice. Pulling off the freeway at a high speed (those that live in New England know how fast people travel) on a short off ramp, with the A/C on and turning at the same time while braking rather heavily the transmission down shifts as normal but between 30 MPH and zero the engine stalls every great once in awhile. Kick it into neutral (whether still rolling or not) and starts right back up. I have noted it only happens on this particular exit while turning and braking with the air on. I have noted on other exits coming off of highway speeds with the air on and braking but not turning so sharp that the RPM's do dip really low around 450-500 but the computer catches it and comes back up to normal RPM. I can find no vacuum leaks, codes etc. Never seen any vehicle I have ever driven or serviced pull this one off.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Oh and the conditions (I have heard of wet ECU's and such) dry and warm. Between 80 to 95 degrees.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 195 Likes on 165 Posts

My wife had an'89 Ford Probe that had a similar problem. Turned out the inertia switch was a bit touchy.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

JXT, personally, I would not recommend changing the knock sensor unless you are getting trouble codes from it. Those are pretty tough sensors and I have only really heard of them failing due to being struck by something and breaking the outside of the sensor at the plug.

As for doing the plug change, if you are in that far and you want to do things beyond question, then also do not forget about swapping out the upper and lower intake gaskets. You can pick these up at your local Checkers/Schucks/Advanced/O'Reilly's. If you need the part numbers, let me know. They will know what the upper ones are, but will look at you funny for the lowers.

As for your loss of engine problem, I can understand that. Granted, I would much rather drive up in New England area than down here in DC. As for fixing your condition, I would say to first try a tune up and see how things are after that. Secondly I would say to get a tranny flush done. It may be that your tranny is just shifting a little slow and due to the rapid speed change I am envisioning, the tranny just isn't getting out of a gear fast enough and it is pulling the engine too low.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:11 AM

Thanks Thermo. Awhile back it did throw a P0333 code. After scanning the computer I cleared it. It hasn't returned yet. I have a little over 126K mi on her right now. Serviced the tranny not too long ago. I will take a look at the color of the oil and see if she might have pumped some more crud out of the guts. The first time I dropped the tranny oil it was pure black. Kept flushing till it was bright red. Really what my goal is for digging around, is that the car will be going to Hawaii with me and I want to take care of any problems I might find and take care of them while on the main land where the parts are slightly cheaper and easier to get. The cost of everything in Hawaii is allot higher plus the wait to have them shipped in if not in stock. The slow down shift theory intrigues me. I will pay attention to that next time I notice it happening and try manually down shifting or pop it into neutral and see if the RPM's jump back up.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

JXT, the simple thing would be before you have to start slowing down, let off the gas and give the brake pedal a quick tap. What this does is causes the tranny to unlock the torque converter. What this will allow to happen is as the car is slowing down, the tranny is not going to be able to force the motor to slow down as much since the torque converter will be unlocked and the motor will be a load on the tranny. This should allow the RPMs of the motor to remain a little higher.

Enjoy your time out in Hawaii. May I recommend living in on-base housing. Most of it out there is really, really nice. They were going through when I was out there and tearing all of the buildings that were over 30 years old down and building new. I lived in the Navy housing right across the street from the airport there on Oahu. I know where I lived has been bulldozed and new put up. If you have any questions about moving out there, let me know. As for the cost of stuff, as long as you shop on base, things are not too bad. It is when you can't get what you want on base that it can't be costly. You will also find that if you try to learn the culture and their way of talking, you will find your stay there will be much more enjoyable.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Thanks again Thermo. I will take the X up to the same exit and try tapping the brake pedal and see what happens and will let you know. I do have to know though, you seem to have a wealth of knowledge of these cars, have you worked for Jag after the Navy? Or the school of hard knocks? LOL. I was a prior heavy diesel mechanic for Caterpillar for six years prior to an extreme career change to Navy submarines.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

JXT, just a guy that likes to work on vehicles and I have access to the necessary technical manuals. You can call me a jack of all trades. I grew up working on vehicles (built a 1923 T-bucket with my dad amongst the normal daily driver vehicles). But then, I got into the navy at 18 and got into the electronics field along with nuclear operations. From there, I continually searched out ways to expand both my electronics and mechanical knowledge. Now I am relating all the tidbits of knowledge I have with everything else in life. So, between 20 years of submarine life, another 3 at a nuclear power plant where i am now diving into security system related stuff, and a general taste for learning anything I can, I have a very wide base to play in.

The information is out there, you just have to be willing to go out and go searching for it.