X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type panel removal and speakers change

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type panel removal and speakers change

Good afternoon to all members, I am new here and would like to introduce myself first: I bought a used 2005 2.0D executive X-type with 62000 km, yes a 16 years old car, in love with the design and convinced this will be a modern classic very soon.
I retake a topic that has been discussed many times here, helped me a lot when doing it myself, and just to add my own experience and maybe some info.
I changed the speakers of the front part, having the basic config with two "crap" Philipps down and two "crap" twitters on the top of the panel.
Removal of panels was as described in other posts: impossible not to break any of the clips, so I had previously bought a set of 20 clips in Amazon, Ford or Jaguar part number and a couple of speakers (average) discounted in my local shop:

I then followed instructions to pop out the panel and got to this, with a lot of broken clips:

Good news: this particular speakers are thin enough to fit the gap, without needing any of the spacers, nor hitting the window, so basically they go like this in the hole, fitting them with the supplied steel attachments provided with the speakers, in the three holes of the existing spacer.

Replaced all the broken clips and reinstalled panels as this :

All this improving dramatically the sound quality of the android unit bought on Amazon:

As I reading the forum, any speaker of any decent brand will considerably improve the sound quality, in my case those Kenwood have the right fit, no need of spacers, and we are talking of a 20 euros set of speakers. Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to add something: I'm not a big fan of tuning but my plastic center console was having some stories, especially the ashtray cover. I tried first to match the anthracite paint color and repainted it but with no great results: it was peeling somehow with every scratch of key or whatever. I decided to buy a carbon fibre vinyl in Amazon and do the job like this since can always peel it away if not happy with the result. The result happened to be better than expected, lot of work especially with the air con panel (lots of buttons and the electronic board to remove), hoping this helps. The last two pics are before and after. Quite satisfied with the results.