X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X type parking sensor fault help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X type parking sensor fault help needed

Can anyone give me some advice please, I have a 2004 x type and rear parking sensors not working.3 of the sensors click when I put my ear to them 1 doesn't will the 1 faulty sensor stop the rest working as I'm not getting any noise from the buzzer which I have replaced with new one.
Any help would be great.

Cheers chris

Old 04-23-2015, 08:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

giddy, yes, if one sensor is not functioning, it will make it so the system will not tell you that you are getting close to something. You should be getting a long single tone every time you put the car in reverse (regardless of whether there is something behind you or not, about 3 seconds in length). This is telling you that there is a problem with the system.

Replace the sensor that is not making any noise and you should be golden. Of note, there are 2 different kind of sensors back there. One has a plug that comes straight out the back of the sensor. The other has the plug coming out the side. So, make sure you get the correct one for your application. One other tidbit that you will find helpful. When removing the old sensor, use 2 small screw drivers to hold the tabs out so they do not engage the retaining hooks. Then using your thumb, push the sensor in towards the center of the car. If you try and twist the sensor to remove it. you are going to destroy the old sensor and still have to fight to get it out. Don't ask how I know.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi chris thanks for your reply but I am not getting any tone at all and I have already replaced the speaker not any tone at all even when you put the car in reverse I've ordered a new sensor but reading your post I should still get a tone from speaker even if I have a faulty sensor so still a bit stumped.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:47 PM
Veteran member

giddym3, you would not be the first person to suffer from a bad speaker or whatnot. I know your computer is getting power because you are hearing clicking from the other sensors. So, that eliminates a few things. I would next try accessing the sounder/speaker that you replaced and put a multimeter across the 2 wires going to it. With the multimeter set to monitor VDC, you should see it jump up to around 12 VDC for the first few seconds after putting the vehicle in reverse. If you aren't getting that, then I would repeat the test at the computer itself (in the spare tire well, left side as you are looking into the back of the car). If you aren't getting power there, then you have a problem inside the computer with the sounder. If you do have power there, then you have a bad wire between the computer and the sounder.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there thermo n giddym3, I am too having some problems with this rear parking aid. i did a retro fit from an automatic x type n put it in my manual x type, I installed everything as illustrated in the directions, wiring loom, computer(located where the spare wheel goes), the sensors and the buzzer. Now the buzzer beeps for 4 seconds only when I turn on the ignition. But it doesn't beep as I get close to objects. So I'm guessing the buzzer is good now the question is if the sensors are bad or the computer itself ? Any way to test both individually?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

eden, it sounds like you have something mis-wired. The sounder should not sound when you start the car. It should only make a sound when you have the car in reverse.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
eden, it sounds like you have something mis-wired. The sounder should not sound when you start the car. It should only make a sound when you have the car in reverse.
I apologize for my misunderstanding, I'm new with this parking aid technology so your telling me that the transmission being manual doesn't have anything to do with it?

Old 04-25-2015, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

eden, the parking aide system only looks at the wiring going to the reverse lights to tell whether it needs to turn on or not. It does not receive anything from the ECU or other computers to say "I'm backing up". So, if your reverse lights are getting power, then the wire that turns on the parking aide should be activated and have power too. This would then turn on the whole parking aide system.

Because you are getting sounds as you start the vehicle, this is telling me that the power to the computer (at a minimum) is not connected to something correctly. The parking aide should be silent as the vehicle starts. Now, with a manual, if you have the clutch pushed in and the tranny selected to reverse, you may have the parking aide system come on right away. So, I would try starting the car in any other gear but reverse and see if it does the same thing on start up. If it does, then this confirms a wiring issue. If it goes away, then it could be simply the voltage fluctuations as the car is starting is making the system sound off.

Do you know how to read wiring diagrams? If so, I can send you a wiring diagram of your vehicle. Bringing this up, did the wiring diagram you get with the parking aide system tell you that there is a difference between years? Because you have a 204 vehicle, I need to know the month/year it was made so I send you the correct diagram. In March 2004, jaguar put a different wiring diagram into the vehicle and it renumbered some things and also changed a few wiring colors and whatnot. So, you may have very well wired it "correctly" based on the drawing that you have, but because of the changes made, it is in actuality incorrect.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:16 AM

eden, the parking aide system only looks at the wiring going to the reverse lights to tell whether it needs to turn on or not. It does not receive anything from the ECU or other computers to say "I'm backing up". So, if your reverse lights are getting power, then the wire that turns on the parking aide should be activated and have power too. This would then turn on the whole parking aide system.

Because you are getting sounds as you start the vehicle, this is telling me that the power to the computer (at a minimum) is not connected to something correctly. The parking aide should be silent as the vehicle starts. Now, with a manual, if you have the clutch pushed in and the tranny selected to reverse, you may have the parking aide system come on right away. So, I would try starting the car in any other gear but reverse and see if it does the same thing on start up. If it does, then this confirms a wiring issue. If it goes away, then it could be simply the voltage fluctuations as the car is starting is making the system sound off.

Do you know how to read wiring diagrams? If so, I can send you a wiring diagram of your vehicle. Bringing this up, did the wiring diagram you get with the parking aide system tell you that there is a difference between years? Because you have a 204 vehicle, I need to know the month/year it was made so I send you the correct diagram. In March 2004, jaguar put a different wiring diagram into the vehicle and it renumbered some things and also changed a few wiring colors and whatnot. So, you may have very well wired it "correctly" based on the drawing that you have, but because of the changes made, it is in actuality incorrect.
Mines a 2002 model, n surely would appreciate the help thanks thermo 👍

Old 04-27-2015, 08:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The newer models might behave differently. My 2005 sounds the 4 second fault code when the key is turned to run, then stays silent. There is a bad sensor.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

bigdiver, the 4 second pulse is telling you that there is a fault with the system. In the case of the newer models, you have both rear and front sensors. So, I would expect a tone upon starting in that case as it is sensing the system not in 100% condition for the forward sensing function.

Eden, PM me your e-mail address and I will forward you a set of diagrams so you can verify what the instructions told you to do against the wiring diagrams.