X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type positive appreciation thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Nope, no diesel Jaguars. We have some diesel Mercedes-Benz, Audi/VW, BMW and maybe a few more (not including pickup trucks and such) that I can't think of. The issue with some of them is they require urea injection systems that have to be refilled by a dealer periodically. Apparently this is in order to meet our stringent emissions standards. I don't think the Audi/VW requires the urea but I believe the Benz Bluetec and the BMW do (?)

The fact that gas(petrol) is quite cheap here is probably the primary reason.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well they say you learn something new everyday.

Its crazy to think that you guys in the states have such stringent emission standards. You can drive such big engine cars like 3.0ltr petrols that give out big Co2 emissions, yet you cant have a diesel.
Here in the Uk the bigger the engine size = more emissions. The government tax us on this ("road tax") the smaller more environmentally friendly car the cheaper the tax. You roll up in a brand new Range Rover Sport and you will be taxed £950 per year before you can even drive a mile!
If you have say a diesel 2 ltr X type you will pay less tax as less emissions. My Jag is 2.0 ltr petrol and I will pay more than the diesel of that size.

I dont want to even get started on fuel tax but lets just say that petrol is about £1.20 per ltr and I believe that about 70% of that is tax. The irony of that we then pay VAT (Value added Tax) so for your £1.20 we are paying tax on tax.Combined with tax to drive it tax on all services parts labour insurance. Oh the list goes on. Just typing this is making me get up on my soap box!!!agghhh

Old 05-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

LOL, yes I certainly don't envy you for all of the taxing that you chaps have to deal with over there. We have a few taxes for registrations and stuff like that, but really the only car based tax is a "gas guzzler tax"...but usually only applies to very high end cars and performance cars, with a few exceptions.

The hilarious part is the gas guzzler tax doesn't apply to trucks, vans, or SUV's, as the EPA who administers the rules say that because the tax was passed in 1978, and those types of vehicles were not in wide use in 1978, then they don't apply. Twisted! So I don't pay any guzzler tax on my Rover that plugs along at 13mpg.

We used to have a luxury tax (modeled after the VAT mostly), but it was repealed some time ago.

As for emissions, some states will test your car for emissions, some do not. Where I live in PA, some counties do a thorough emissions test, while others just do a visual inspection. You do have to pay extra for the test. But many states don't have emissions tests at all. Regardless there is no tax per car for emissions discharge (that I know of). What we do is if the car pollutes more that the limit, it doesn't get sold - usually in California first, they have the strictest standards in the US.

It all boils down to this - emissions really has little impact for buyer's selection of vehicle, other than one's own particular position on such a thing.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just skimmed through all of the above. There's not much I can add really! Excellent idea for a thread though, extolling the values of out delicious vehicles.

I've had mine, a 2.2D Sport for about 15 months now and apart from consumable items (tyres/brakes etc) I've only had to fork out for an intercooler, not the cars fault bless it, but a damned huge stone went through it :-(

Unfortunately, I didn't realise it had punctured the intercooler, so drove around for another 3k miles. Eventually the poor thing could take no more. The EGR valve was so gunked up, I couldn't get my little finger inside without getting the 'tar' on it :-( . . . Stay with me, this isn't going to slate the X lol . . . I took the EGR off, the inlet manifold off, cleaned them all up (an easier job than the majority of '70's & '80's cars I was used to!) Went like a dream afterwards. Then I decided to blank the EGR off altogether, this resulted in more MPG and a shade more power . . .

I am and always have been in love with my X

P.S. Sorry to all you stateside guys waffling on about an oil burner lol

Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,009 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  19.3 KB

Jeeesh, don't apologise 06
Oil burners are better than ever they were, having driven them for 20 years+ now.
The X type in 2.0d is great, the 2.2d is even better and has decent performance as well as fuel economy...all good

Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bolly
I dont want to even get started on fuel tax but lets just say that petrol is about £1.20 per ltr and I believe that about 70% of that is tax. The irony of that we then pay VAT (Value added Tax) so for your £1.20 we are paying tax on tax.Combined with tax to drive it tax on all services parts labour insurance. Oh the list goes on. Just typing this is making me get up on my soap box!!!agghhh
British taxes. There's a reason we threw all that tea in the harbor and started a revolution.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ruddigger
british taxes. There's a reason we threw all that tea in the harbor and started a revolution.
hahahaha +1

Old 05-27-2010, 05:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Nope, no diesel Jaguars. We have some diesel Mercedes-Benz, Audi/VW, BMW and maybe a few more (not including pickup trucks and such) that I can't think of. The issue with some of them is they require urea injection systems that have to be refilled by a dealer periodically. Apparently this is in order to meet our stringent emissions standards. I don't think the Audi/VW requires the urea but I believe the Benz Bluetec and the BMW do (?)

The fact that gas(petrol) is quite cheap here is probably the primary reason.
Yes, the cost to create the proper emissions system is a barrier to some manufacturers for bringing diesels over. Another is the fact that they have to do more than emissions to get their cars to run correctly on our diesel formulas. Our diesel fuel is a little bit different than that sold in Europe...BUT...There are two larger issues that prevent them from catching on...One is the perceived short comings of diesels...I remember when gas spiked in the late 70's early 80's...Everyone was selling a diesel back then in the US. It was a way to get better MPG. But man did they smell and make noise..People hated them. Then General Motors introduced a diesel engine based on a gas engine..and they blew up..Well that pretty much sealed the fate..
The other reason is diesel fuel is actually more expensive here. In Europe it is taxed differently (I believe) therefore it is cheaper. Here, it is often more money per gallon than premium fuel.. So, the perception is "why pay more for fuel in a car that performs less"...Remember, these are the silly people that think hybrids are the "greenest" cars around....

Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

^ yep, I agree. There still is the "rattletrap" perception even though the modern oil burners are pretty quiet. If I had a long commute I would definitely get one, even with the cost per gallon differential. Eventually the extra purchase cost would even out, and I wouldn't have to drive a deathbox Smart car or something to get similar MPG in a petrol.

I sold my Cummins turbo diesel pickup several years ago, I still regret it to this day. I used it primarily for towing and hauling....bulletproof.

Anyway....back on topic.

I thrashed a nice twisty back road this morning on my way to the office. Damn I love the handling of this car! A little more seat support would be nice though.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 AM

^

I thrashed a nice twisty back road this morning on my way to the office. Damn I love the handling of this car! A little more seat support would be nice though.
Roll cage,Harness & helmet might help you!

Handling is good on these motors. Yet another good positive point about the X Type.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

^LOL...well I wasn't thrashing THAT hard...lol. Just a good healthy sprint through the twisties, using the J gate to keep the 2.5 boiling in the meat of the powerband. I did have all 4 tires howling at one point, but they are almost shot so that doesn't say much.

Out of all of the things I like about the X, the handling is probably my favorite attribute. The balance and predictable understeer make driving quick easy, even for ham fisted operators like me.

Post 51!! Keep going!!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Talking

I'd have to say that I agree with all that extoll the virtues of the X type. I have never kept a car as long as I have this one (a mere 103K miles) and I still love to drive the car. The handling, the performance and for me the mileage all have added up to one enjoyable ride. I work for the former owner of Jag, and could drive all the new stuff we have, which is pretty darn good these days, but I still would rather drive the X and will continue to do so until the day when I no longer like the drive....

Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

^

That little bit of extra side bolster in the seats of the Sport model do come in handy for the twistys.

Same deal here in Canada on the diesel. It used to be cheaper than regular gas and many boys bought the diesel trucks for the towing power for toys and 5th wheel trailers (large caravans? across the pond). Now diesel is quite expensive. i think it's a ploy by the oil companies. Get everybody into huge diesel trucks and then jack the prices for diesel in an economy where you can't turn the $60k truck over without losing your shirt.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I am in a serious relationship with my pussycat too. Last weekend I bathed her, dressed her up in a fresh coat of wax, and took her out to the park where I took some photos before we went out for a romantic dinner. Isn't she beautiful? (Shhh.... I think my Girlfriend is starting to suspect something.... )

Last edited by MeatBag; 05-30-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: woops. Fixed pix.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MeatBag
I am in a serious relationship with my pussycat too. Last weekend I bathed her, dressed her up in a fresh coat of wax, and took her out to the park where I took some photos before we went out for a romantic dinner. Isn't she beautiful? (Shhh.... I think my Girlfriend is starting to suspect something.... )

LOL, she sounds like a real catch! Unfortunately she also looks like a box with a red X....can't see the pic on this end. Anybody else?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:20 PM

Same here pal. Your cat is Shy ;-)

Man I am away for a week as from tomorrow so will miss the progression of this thread!!!
Of to Prague Czech Republic.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,009 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  19.3 KB

Red X for me too meatbag? Is yours Red?...lol
Bolly - how bout a headcount for Jags while you're there? Maybe could recruit for the forum too?

Guy down the street has a 3-4 yr old XJR....man what a nice rumble off that cat as she passes by

Old 05-30-2010, 02:45 AM

Your on Jim. I know Prague very well not seen too many Jags there in the past. Its like always though if your not thinking about it you dont see them, this time I expect to see quite a few ;-)

XJR, is my favourite, aggressive elegance.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

This thread is a Gi-Gantic Jag-Gasm!!!

Old 05-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Cause everyone loves this thread!

Quick Reply: X Type positive appreciation thread