X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type Rear ended

My 2004 X-Type 3.0 L automatic was rear ended at a stop light by a Ford F250. On the drive home check engine light came on and car shakes horribly when above 35 mph when pressing accelerator at those higher speeds. The code is catalytic converter and diagnostic computer something. Mechanic at Collision Center said both rear hubs are bad or have play ...and the check engine light and vibration is coincidental or unrelated to getting rear ended. I had the car 6 weeks when it got hit. How do I prove the mechanical problems are a direct result of accident? My Jag has 198,000 miles on it. There is damage to bumper and perhaps to inside of trunk side wall above bumper. I sustained injuries to my neck and back and the stress and pain has raised my blood pressure. Such a pretty car and no justice at Collision Centers who I find must be in "collusion" with Insurance companies, that's the case it appears so far.

Last edited by SirCanU; 06-03-2017 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Emphasise Model & Year
Old 06-02-2017, 06:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum SirCanU,

Sorry to hear about the accident and your injuries.

I've copied the question from your Intro to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to advise about the vehicle damage.

Graham

Old 06-03-2017, 03:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your driveshaft, had the same thing happen to me a while back and the result was the rubber on the carrier bearing was torn.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:15 AM

Thank you, I was hoping something simple like driveshaft and saw post of member replacing right driveshaft.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

SirCanU, I would simply argue with the insurance company that before you were rear ended, the car drove fine. After the incident, there is a problem with the rear end. I don't think you will get anywhere with the check engine light, especially with the codes that you are getting unless the exhaust was pushed forward and there is damage to that, resulting in excessive restriction in the exhaust. Granted, based on the year car, I would not be surprised to hear the insurance company total the car if you have damage to the rear wall of the trunk area. I know it sounds like a sad statement to make, but with the value of the car, it doesn't take much in the way of damage to make it so the insurance company will want to total it out.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:07 AM

Thank you Thermo. I see the field adjuster Monday morning. From phone conversations, the insurance company is saying it won't be totaled. They're more than happy to fix bumper, but that doesn't make it run like it did is what I keep telling them.All I've heard is people knocking the car because of her high mileage. My own insurance said "mileage plus it's a 13-14 year old car." Blasphemy! I should have responded, regarding her age and she is a Jag! She cost over $37,700 new (like they all do), I have original sticker.This "old girl" was a daily driver. Pardon Me, I should tell them, not a weekender.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:19 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's all numbers to the bean counters. They don't typically take into consideration the fact that these cars can be wound up quite high in the odometer.

Prove it was a daily driver with no issues prior to the accident. Find someone to collaborate that things were indeed shifted.

I've also successfully used a tactic where they write it off as a total, give me a check, and I keep the car. Get it fixed AND have pocket money for later maintenance/upgrades

Old 06-03-2017, 06:34 AM

You know that red X-Type that drove down a ski slope on Top Gear (video on youtube-amazing)...I met that car. Umm, the owner said he bought the car in Germany and that his car is that car. I wonder was that ski slope in Germany? The car was a beauty and it had the black grill. Does anyone know how they pulled off that stunt? The car I saw and his owner was in Branson. Please move this post to a new thread if you know how, so we can get maybe lots of comments.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:05 AM

Yardbird, Thanks. I got my info from carfax .I don't have a man to help me negotiate with the bean counters.;-( I've heard of diminished value claim. They're basically taking advantage of me so far. Monday afternoon, she'll go to 3rd Collision Center for an estimate to a place that has more than a body shop and doesn't sub the mechanical work out. First place subs work out, not sure on 2nd one but 3rd place has auto repair separate. I don't like having to drive car especially with catalytic code and have to drive slow or there's shaking. Branson is small so I'm not driving far. I've met or talked to so many mechanics and used car dealers that despise Jaguars. Should I give up on the Jaguar or this one and take the money for the bumper and buy something else? There is a repair shop in Ozark that likes Jags but doesn't charge Jag prices, but that's pretty far from Branson and all up hill to have to drive or limp her to.