Sponsored by:

X-Type seat wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type seat wiring help

Hi all,
really need some help!
I have two lovely leather power seats from a X type that I want to install into a van. Can anyone give me a clue as to what wires need to be grouped and either powered or grounded? I tried connecting power to the main BN/GN and earthed the BK, but nothing happened
The seat tag says 5X4314C719
These are the colours I have that I haven't connected.
Thick WHThick BK GN/BKWH GNGY
BUOG
twisted BK/WHTwisted RD/WH
RDBK

So now that I know it's not as easy as main power and earth, could someone help me get powered up? I've got a MOT on the horizon, and need at least forward and back to work!
thanks in advance
Duncan

Old 04-28-2021, 12:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

Duncan, can you give me a little more information on the seats. Specifically, do you know what year car they came from? Ironically, if you had the pig tails for the seats, that would make things a lot easier. Making an assumption that they are 8 say seats from a 2002-2004 car, you want to focus on the gray plug that you show in your second picture. That should be a 12 pin connector. If you follow the wires back, most of the wiring should go to the seat motors. Unfortunately, you should have the switch pack to the seat too. Because, coming off of the switch pack would be an orange green (left side) or an orange yellow (right side) wire. That would provide all the positive voltage for the seat. Then you would have a black wire that would be your ground. This would make the seat do its 8 way motion. The power comes in on Pin 6 and is grounded via Pin 1. Not sure if that may make things easier. But, if you are having to go to pins at this point, you are going to need to create a switch panel to control the seat.

The other thing that I would be looking at (this is a long shot) is the first picture, there is an orange plug with 2 wires on it (green and appears to be gray). Follow those back and see if those go to the switch pack on the side of the seat. If they do, there are your 2 wires for powering the seat. But, the green wire appears to be too green (should have a thin green line on it, not be mainly green) and the gray wire I am wondering is just a bad black (see it all the time at my work).

Work with me and we can make this seat function.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Duncan, can you give me a little more information on the seats. Specifically, do you know what year car they came from? Ironically, if you had the pig tails for the seats, that would make things a lot easier. Making an assumption that they are 8 say seats from a 2002-2004 car, you want to focus on the gray plug that you show in your second picture. That should be a 12 pin connector. If you follow the wires back, most of the wiring should go to the seat motors. Unfortunately, you should have the switch pack to the seat too. Because, coming off of the switch pack would be an orange green (left side) or an orange yellow (right side) wire. That would provide all the positive voltage for the seat. Then you would have a black wire that would be your ground. This would make the seat do its 8 way motion. The power comes in on Pin 6 and is grounded via Pin 1. Not sure if that may make things easier. But, if you are having to go to pins at this point, you are going to need to create a switch panel to control the seat.

The other thing that I would be looking at (this is a long shot) is the first picture, there is an orange plug with 2 wires on it (green and appears to be gray). Follow those back and see if those go to the switch pack on the side of the seat. If they do, there are your 2 wires for powering the seat. But, the green wire appears to be too green (should have a thin green line on it, not be mainly green) and the gray wire I am wondering is just a bad black (see it all the time at my work).

Work with me and we can make this seat function.
​​​​​​ Thanks for the encouragement! Had a pole around, and the orange plug with very green wire and grey wire seem to go to the seat belt buckle
looking at the back of the grey socket I've tried to get a better pic. There is also a label that says 2004 👍

Old 04-29-2021, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

Duncan, well, lets try going about this a different way then. Do you still have the switch pack on the side of the seat? If not, then odds are, we are going to have to create our own switch pack using the 16 pin plug that you have. Not the end of the world, just a bit more work on your part to make something that is usable. I can get you the diagram for how to make the switch panel.

Now, if you do have the switch panel, you will have a harness coming off of that panel (there will be a plug that goes into the panel). You need to follow this harness out to the area where all the seat plugs are. This is where you will find your seat power. What you should find is that all the wires are going to start branching off to the various motors except for 2 wires. Those should run to another plug. That is going to be your seat power. Unfortunately, my diagrams do not show the wiring colors inside the seat. Just the colors leading up to the plugs. With these 2 wires, you should see that one is going to be brighter colors than the other. the brighter colored lead should be your positive. The darker one, the ground. The other hint that you can take is normally the ground wire is going to have a black stripe on it, if not a black wire.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:50 AM
Old 04-29-2021, 11:54 AM

So it looks like we are talking about this last spur at the top as the others are going to switches . I did wonder if it was something to do with the four remaining wires that go in the same directioj as the power and earth m I wondered if one was a trigger to turn the circuit on?

Old 04-29-2021, 04:11 PM
Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

It may help to visit Gus at JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource.
He has kindly posted the electrical info that you need.
Don't forget to send a Paypal donation to help defray cost of the website.
They ain't free.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:17 PM
Veteran member

Duncan, let me take a look at the diagrams again. You have memory seats. I was looking at just the 8 way seats. This is all helping me get to a solution.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:20 AM
Veteran member

Duncan, ok, I think we are striking gold now. This is going to be a bit more involved because of the memory function. But, it is doable. There is a safety feature built in that only allows the seat to be moved when the door is shut. So, we are going to have to play a little bit here. But, lets first start with locating all the wires. Looking at the last post you made that had pictures, if you look at the first picture, I think the plug that we are after is the near row, at the top of that row. This is going to be most of the power that we need to play with. Any which way, we are looking directly on the switch panel that controls the seat (at all the plugs). What we are looking for is a plug that has the following colored wires in the following locations, all on the same plug:

PIn 1: Orange wire with a green stripe (battery power)
Pin 3: Black wire (Ground)
Pin 4: Green wire with a black stripe (switched power)
Pin 5: Black wire (ground)
Pin 6: Green wire with a black stripe (battery power)
Pin 10: Black wire (ground).

On a separate plug, we are looking for a red wire connected to Pin 22. You may be able to trace this one out and it will be on one of the 2 wire plugs in the center of the seat. This is your safety wire. This is connected to the door switch and needs to be grounded to make the seat work.

So, to make the seat work, you can either take the three power wires, tie them together, and attach them to the battery power, or you can split out the switchable power and wire that to something that turns on and off with the car (this will make it so the seat will only move when the car is on. You will then take all the black wires, tie them together and attach them to any ground in the car. As for the red wire (for the door safety), you will either have to find the door switch in the truck that you are looking at and hope that it grounds when the door shuts (most cars are made that way), you can tie it with the black wires (this will allow the seat to move whether the door is open or not), or you will have to create your own switch that will sense when the door is shut.

That should take care of you.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:33 PM

Hi Thermo, had another look at the seats today, but I'm struggling to identify those wires. I have tried to get better pictures of the black and grey plugs at the front of the seat
on the black plug I have coloured sockets , but no numbers on them other than 1&2 written on the back.
On the yellow socket there is a twisted red/white wire and a twisted black/white wireOn the brown socket, there is red wire and a black wireOn the green socket, there is a blue wire and a red wireOn the blue socket, there is a green with darker green striped wire , and a white wireOn the orange socket , there is a green wire and a grey wireOn the purple socket, there is a thicker black wire and white wire.

Now for the 16 pin grey plugPin 1 is green with black stripePin 2 is white /orange stripePin 3 is brownPin 4 is yellow and browny red stripePin 5 is brownPin 6 is redPin 7 is yellow red stripePin 8 is green/red stripe
pin 9 is white / red stripe
Pin 10 is yellow
Pin 11 is greenPin 12 is redRemaining slots to 16 are unused

I haven't found the whereabouts of number 22 as yet, as I'm concerned my colours are different ? Thankyou for your patience

Old 05-04-2021, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

Duncan, I am not giving up on this. If you look back at your post with a time stamp of 04/29/21 5:54 PM, the second picture is what I think we are after. I keep looking at US driver's seats (left seat) and I just realized that you have a right seat. So, we are looking for a Green/black wire, a white/blue wire, an orange/yellow wire, and 3 black wires. That seems to be pretty close to the picture I mentioned earlier. This would then leave the red wire for the door safety. The only wire missing is a 3rd black wire for ground. This may take a little tracing of the wire bundle back a little bit to find this last wire. You can then tie the 3 black wires together with the red wire to the battery ground and then the green/black, white/blue, and orange/yellow wires together for powering the seat. You can try powering the seat without the 3rd black wire, but I can't say what functions you may or may not have.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:46 AM

Hello Sir, i have the same seat and i wanna install on an X-Type... But the original seat of the car are without memory, and half manual, half power... the connector it looks the same... but no work, no move, no life, nothing...I'm going crazy cause I spent a lot of money to buy that seat... 🙏🙏🙏