Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Theft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 02:06 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default X-Type Theft?

Hi...been a while since I been around!

I am getting ready to embark on a new journey that will take about 1700 miles of driving which means some hotel stops. I am moving (all the big stuff will be in a Mayflower truck) and I will have some stuff packed in my car. My concern is keeping my belongings and my car along the way when parked overnight at hotels. My Jag has never spent a single night outside a garage where she is safe.

So my question is, are X-Types an easy car for thieves to steal? I did read one article that said Jaguars in general were in the bottom percentage of thefts and that is kind of comforting...but I would like to here what the experts here have to say. Tips - advice on securing the car.

Also, I am moving to a very cold climate (North Dakota) and I am wondering about engine block heaters or even if I need one. The car will be garaged there also...but I have heard people plug in their cars a bit before starting them to heat the engine block. Also would I change oil grades in a cold climate or stick with 5w30?

Any help, advice always appreciated ;-)

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 11-17-2021, 02:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,870 Likes on 12,186 Posts

A cynic would say it takes huge effort and perseverence to keep a Jaguar going, who would want to steal one.

Like you, my Jaguars (there's been a lot over the years) are always garaged when at home. However, I've also used them for extensive Continental touring across Europe so they have spent many nights outside hotels. Only had one attempted forced entry to my last XK in southern Spain. Broke the door handle but didn't get in.

One precaution we do take is never to leave anything on view inside the vehicle. Regardless of country or location, I'm sure stealing property is considerably more likely than an attempt to steal the vehicle. It often means a few trips from parking spot to hotel room but does zero this risk.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Grant Francis (11-17-2021), Mr rx-7 tt (11-21-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 06:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,932 Likes on 3,228 Posts

DaddyLogan, being a person that has had to make numerous moves (you know, small moves like going from Hawaii to Virginia), I know your pain. The best advice thta I can give you is to try and keep as much as you can out of sight. Reduce the temptation. So, what you can put in the trunk, do. If you have to put stuff in the interior of the car, make it stuff that people are not going to be interested in. Put your clothes or stuff in suitcases there. This will be less desireable than putting say a stereo in there.

As for people breaking into cars, if someone wants something that they see, they are going to get it. Whether it is breaking a window or using some sort of slim jim to pop the door, they will get in. So, I would not worry about it. Keep the desireable stuff either in the trunk or inside the moving truck. Keep the less desireable in the X-Type. If it makes you feel better, you may want to spend say $200 to have the windows tinted. This will make seeing what is in hte back seat that much harder and less desireable to take the chance.

As for a block heater for the car, that is kinda a mute point now as putting one in the car would be a major pain at this point. I would say that if you are keep the car inside a garage, then the need for a block heater will not be there. The garage is going to keep it fairly warm (is, 40+F). So, I would not worry about it too much.

Old 11-17-2021, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,224 Likes on 2,120 Posts

Somewhat oddly, the Canadian market X Types did not have a block heater fitted from the factory. I have one on the shelf, I just have never got around to fitting it yet. It's the same as the Ford Contour and Taurus with the 3.0 DOHC engine, there is a plug above the oil filter that gets removed and the heater put in.

Instead of plugging in the car, in the winter I use 0W30 synthetic oil, and if you have a good battery the car will start. Of course, it will start easier if it is warmed up with a block heater. If you happen to be getting the coolant changed, by all means get a heater fitted at that time, but don't worry about it if you don't have one. Removing the plug is the bets way to ensure the coolant is all drained from the block, but the oil filter also has to come off to get to it.

Last edited by Jagboi64; 11-17-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:14 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

As my good friend Dell would say "search is a wonderful thing" (or something to that effect.)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...x-type-174966/

Old 11-17-2021, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 678 Posts

Well, is it not? =;~)
and is marvelous (think Billie Crystal mimicking Ricardo Montoban) it simply mah-vah-lus.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 11-17-2021 at 10:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BlownKitty (11-18-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 06:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having moved from California to Colorado be aware of the windshield washer fluid that's probably in your car. You simply cannot buy the good stuff in much of California, especially the lower elevations, if you use an oil change place they will use the cheapest stuff (i.e. not the lower temp versions). Ideally you want the stuff that works beyond -30 or so in the Dakotas (think windchill). Once the existing stuff freezes while you are parked overnight it can clog or even break your lines and won't melt from engine heat, but worse you can't clean your windshield while driving on slushy roads (slushy due to icemelt from plow trucks, not warmer temps). So before leaving look around for a lower temp version of what you perhaps have on the shelf and then when in transit getting gas look inside the gas station marts to see what they have available. If you're moving in the winter I probably would NOT leave home with a full washer bottle but rather carry a gallon or two in the trunk and refill as needed until you get a bottle of the lower temp stuff enroute, then dump that in after squirting out the old stuff. Depending on the weather you'll be surprised how much of it you use. It's a good idea to replace the wipers as well and perhaps even have a spare set on hand. The old style metal "cage" type sometimes will clog with ice and then lift the wiper off the glass, the modern "blade" style wiper seems to have less of an issue with ice build up.

Old 11-21-2021, 04:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As others have said don't leave items in the car. I would ask if you could get a floor room and park the car in front of your room if possible. I would also put items in the trunk and anything I couldn't get in the trunk I would take to the room.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:28 AM
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

My advice would be not to move from California to North Dakota, but since you are... Maybe buy a dash cam with parking mode so it will switch from always recording to low power, coming on when motion is detected. I think most any would-be car thief will see the lights on the camera come on and will move on to easier targets. You can get a dash cam with good reviews that has this feature for as little as $50 on Amazon. Or buy the basic under $20 dash cam from Walmart, just the presence of a camera will scare off many thieves.

Another option is to stay only at hotels in cities where you can leave the car in a parking garage.