X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type won't start

When I went out to start the car today the car made a chattering noise from under the dash and would not start. All the lights work but I get a clicking noise when I try to turn it over (not mechanical i.e. solnoid, starter)...additionally the car did this once before after I filled the tank and I got a gear box fault indicator on the dash....I let it sit for about 1/2 hour and it started up and has every time since. Lately I have been seeing dash tell me cruise control won't work but it does and F92 fuse is not blown. Not sure what the issue may be, I disconnected the battery tonight in hopes tomorrow it will at least get it cleared to run again.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:55 AM

No luck still won't start.....

Old 12-27-2010, 06:01 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

There could be many reasons for a no-start, but let's get the easiest stuff out of the way first:

Check that you have a fully charged battery. You need at least 12.1v. Next (but you can do this before the charge), check the negative battery cable for loose or corroded connections on both ends. The connection opposite the battery end is notorious for causing these starting issues, even though there will be enough battery to power lights and accessories. If that doesn't get you running then come back - we'll work on other things.

Don't diagnose "Cruise Not Available" as an independent variable. This function is automatically disabled and dependent on several other engine management faults because whatever caused the primary fault impacts the way the ECU is able to exercise one or more of the functions of cruise. Once the primary fault is repaired and codes cleared, Cruise will be restored w/o any other diagnosis or intervention related directly to cruise.

Disconnecting the battery does nothing to repair faults or clear codes. In fact, by doing so you have probably now lost the ability to read the codes as the display is stored in volitale memory, but not the fault. Since the battery is disconnected, consider first performing the cable check above, then charge, then reconnect, then try starting. After you get running we can deal with any other unrelated faults.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Default That was exactly it

The next morning when I hooked up the battery it wouldn't start again.....I noticed the battery terminals with the green corrosion on it...cleaned it off with a wire brush; charged it all day and it started right up and haven't had an issue since....thanks for the feedback!