X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The X-TypeE

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 12:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The X-TypeE

X-Type engine runs beautiful when it's good, but once something happened it give you lots of head ache, time and money. I like the X-Type body style and sheet metal seem like never rusted; I thought of when my cat come to its last 9 life, I'm going to looking for a wrecked Tesla model3 to convert my X-Type to be the X-TypeE. I know it's not going to be easy, and probably costly too, but it'll be fun and worth it. If any body think about that?

Old 05-06-2021, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 758 Posts

Hi Thanguar,

I like the theoretical concept but there a lot of hurdles that immediately spring to mind with your potential project, as you are not just ripping out a dumb power plant and dropping in another lump of cast iron in its place.
If you were simply tearing out a points or CDI driven pre 1980's motor from an analogue car with the intention of marrying up a jet engine starter motor onto the prop shaft or into the input shaft of your manual gearbox, then Life would be fun and relatively straight forward.

However, how would you propose to satisfy the missing ECU comms data that keep all the other Cat sub-systems talking properly and obeying orders?
Traction control, ABS, stability modules, safety systems, access control, all talk among themselves in concert with ECU, so that will be a massively huge technical hurdle to overcome.
You will need a new vacuum source to run the brake servo (a minor problem compared to the above issues).
Climate control will need a heat source and the AC compressor driven.

Most of the Tesla models have integrated Lithium batteries embedded throughout the chassis - which is why they are a pain if they need any battery replacements and also darn hard to put out when they catch fire!
So you likely won't be recovering those batteries. You will also need somewhere to put the new battery banks, which will likely redistribute the weight in the car, changing ride heights and suspension handling characteristics of the vehicle you love so much as it is.

Hey don't get me wrong, if you were prepared to "gut" the Cat and start again from "scratch" (puns intended) to create a minimal rolling chassis then you might be onto something as an exotic track curiosity.
However you can probably forget about ever achieving "compliance" to put it back on the public roads if you can't meet the burden of getting all the critical safety systems working properly and certification of the engineering modifications you have had to do to chassis and drive train.

Over here we can't replace an engine with a higher powered one if it represents as anything more than a 20% increase from the original. You can swap compatible engines fine, but upgrades are a different thing.
You can't modify a chassis without engineering certificates and certified welders. I had to get compliance for making two brackets to move my drivers seat back 2 inches in a Santa Fe!
You might enjoy far greater latitude to create home project cars where you are.....if so, I wish the best of luck to you.
As for me, when it is time for my Cat to be put down, I will no doubt shed a tear and give it a good burial and then choose to remember the good times.