X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xtype Potential buy or blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 07:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xtype Potential buy or blown head gasket?

Hi,

Was wondering if the experts on here recon this potential purchase is a Head Gasket that has blown, look at the bubbles on the plastic and general corrosion around the bay. I literally am a novice but was wondering if this looks like one to avoid? It’s everything great on paper, V6, 3.0 and Manual. Has someone ruined it in the past? I’d like to buy this particular spec but not a engine that’s blown up in the past!

Thanks for any advice!

Old 08-10-2022, 10:01 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Need more info. Year, mileage, foamy oil, location, cost. If engine is bad, you can check with Welsh. They have a bunch of new/old stock X-type engines.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Because of being a novice with engine work, this would not be the car for you to get your hands greasy with. Yes, the motor is fairly easy to work on. There is enough info here that you can probably get it all done on the first shot. The big problem I see you having is the engine does not come out the top of the engine bay. It actually drops out the bottom of the car as a big assembly with the front strut towers and some other parts. So, do you have the ability to lift the shell of the car up 4 feet into the air to slide the motor out from under neath. Then you are still most likely looking at say $3000 to get the proper machining done and buying replacement parts to get the motor back to 100%. So, is the car worth say $4000 and many, many hours of your time? I still have not gotten to any other issues that the car may have. You could probably get a decent X-TYpe for under $3000 right now. I wlll give you that when you are done, the motor will be worth pretty much the whole value of the car and should not give you any grief for quite awhile.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:48 PM

Thanks everyone. The car in question is:

2003 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 V6 Sport 4dr4 WEE[ DRIVE SALOON Petrol Manual

90k miles on the clock, Worcestershire, £2000

Agree hard to learn on! You need a ramp, but was hoping to fix cosmetic bits myself. I’ve already owned one and the mechanic said the radiator was a ****, to drop and replace. Annoyingly just too small to put a Mondeo rad in! Typical Jag How wonderful it would be to fix everything myself tho? I really love this car, I had a 3.0 Auto and that was lots of fun, a manual would be even better. I found the auto left you hanging a bit going through the gears.

I have replaced the header tank a few times, rear view mirror, bonnet nips for the screen wash, just little bits. The wiring loom had the poor Electrical Mechanic needing counselling! So would get a pro for that.

I would like to try changing the interior, it’s black so was thinking that could be something I could do perhaps, prefer the cream.

Thanks again for thoughts, also on getting a manual gearbox version.

S

Old 08-11-2022, 04:50 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

To piggyback other’s responses, for blown head gasket you’re going to have air bubbles in the recovery tank, water in the oil (looks milky on the dipstick), moisture on the oil filler cap, and maybe smoke from the exhaust.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:02 AM

Thanks RB, think that pretty much covers head gaskets, thanks, detailed. Ok, so one can assume I am incorrect in my fears. 100 miles, that’s hiding something, just want to know what!

Old 08-13-2022, 01:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it's definitely low on coolant so must have some sort of leak. The coolant tank is well known for leaking, I've had two on mine. These are 20 year old cars now so the radiator could also be the problem (again I've fitted two on mine), they aren't too bad to fit once you get over the seized up radiator support bolts. Have you actually bought this car now?

Old 08-13-2022, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by topanga
Well it's definitely low on coolant so must have some sort of leak. The coolant tank is well known for leaking, I've had two on mine. These are 20 year old cars now so the radiator could also be the problem (again I've fitted two on mine), they aren't too bad to fit once you get over the seized up radiator support bolts. Have you actually bought this car now?
Yep, those tanks are at least cheap on eBay, my guess was the radiator too. The coolant’ system is pretty rubbish, forget Aircon when it gets around to summer. All part of the experience. I can live with a replacement rad because there are quite a few, the fan looses teeth! I’ve never owned a car that becomes so brittle in heat, the plastics are shocking. Notice above the engine cover, it’s melted. That’s the scary. Great feedback thanks