X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yes another tranny fluid thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyX
X-type auto was same for all years. I've drained and filled with Castrol Import ATF and will do again after 40,000 miles of service(mostly driving in town).
Just wanted to mention that I also refilled my automatic transmission with the Castrol Import ATF as TonyX suggested back in late 2010 and my transmission shifts perfectly to this day.

This is a good fluid and it's cheap.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also want to replace oil of my automatic gearbox, I own a 2004 X-Type Estate with a low mileage (a bit more than 40 000) but it was mainly driven in city by an old lady, in every case, replacing all fluids of a car I get is a sort of tradition.

I got some Jag documents about oil specs, they mainly talk about 3 specs, JATCO 3100 PL085, Ford M2C922-A1 and Idemitsu K17. Searching compatible oils was quite tedious, it is easy to find fluids meeting Ford specs, but I wanted something compatible with the three specs, not only one or two.

And then I found the holy grail: It is named Fuchs Titan ATF 4400, both Fuchs german and french websites (strangely not the english one but I found a pdf translated in english on Fuchs' german site, I put the link above) clearly specify that this fluid meets Jatco Ford and K17 specs.

Here's the link: http://www.fuchs-europe.de/fileadmin...ish_1-2012.pdf

This fluid can be found on ebay and is much cheaper than the Jaguar one.

I also found something interesting for rear axle and transfer case, it is made by another german brand (Liqui Moly) and perfectly fits with what I think we need in our cars. I don't have the exact reference with me (actually at work, following the traditional "wednesday boring meeting" ...) but I will put it here this evening from home.

Last edited by Lioguar; 06-06-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Just talked to my Jaguar dealer and they still are not willing to do a transmission fluid change. Instead, they emailed me the factory maintenance check sheet that does not show any transmission service interval...

The check sheet calls for replacements for spark plugs, air/pollen filters, brake fluid, coolant, and "fan" belt, but no ATF.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 06-09-2012, 01:42 AM

Hello Pab, we've probably had a look on the same check list. However, I don't believe in life-lubrication claimed by Jaguar, even the best fluid of the world will "mature" with time, humidity and temperature and will loose its initial caracteristics.

I've ALWAYS periodically replaced all the fluids of my cars even if it wasn't specified in maintenance sheets, the result was more silence (no more little transmission noises, I usually add a little percentage (2% of the nominal volume) of a super lubricant named P18) and I never had any gearbox problem on one of my cars.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you use Royal Purple? And did it work?

Old 06-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Never used Royal Purple, I live in France and this brand is quite unknown here.

I usually use Motul 300V for the engines (choosing the viscosity according to the engine and to "what I do with the car"), in gearboxes something like Kernite (wonderful !) or Motul Motylgear, still trying to select the most adapted viscosity.

For the X-Type, I will drain and refill with:

- Motul 300 V 5W40 for the engine, I know that Jaguar gives 5W30 as standard but I often use my car on motorways (and not always at legal speeds ... ) so I prefered something more tough at high temperatures, summers in southern France are sometimes warm.

- Fuchs Titan ATF 4400 for the gearbox, meets all Jaguar requirements, see my message above for the technical sheet.

- Liqui Moly GL 5 SAE 75W-140 LS for the differential and the transfer case, first because it meets Ford WSL-M2C 192A spec (required by Jaguar) and also because Liqui Moly is a wonderful brand that remembers me my boy-racer youth. This one is to be confirmed, I'm checking the "LS" point, I'd like to know which additives they put on it.

Last edited by Lioguar; 06-09-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>we've probably had a look on the same check list.

Ya, I know...

But the thing that really cheeses me off is that the dealer refuses to do a fluid replacement. I can see no reason for a dealer to refuse a sensible service request from a steady customer when that request is not connected with a warranty repair. I want to pay to have it done, but the dealer refuses.

Does that make sense to anybody?
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 06-12-2012, 04:32 PM

Strange, indeed ...

Don't you have a little mechanic who you can trust to do the job ? I don't know how it is in the states, but here in France some of them are much more competent than big dealers.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Silvercat
alright guys, ive done my transfer case fluid change, now im willing to tacle the tranny. we have a machine at work that empties and fills the tranny rlly quick, compared to jacking it up at home. so im gonna go ahead and try it, i just need to know what fluid to fill it with.
so if youve changed the tranny fluid on your x type, post here and lemme know what fluid you used and how the car reacted to it over a certain period of time. thanks in advance
where are the fill plugs

Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Default scozia

where are the fill plugs located for the gearbox and the tranny box on a 3ltr sport manual transmission 52 plate

Old 11-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Jaguar recommends Castrol motor oil so I think the Castrol Multi-Import ATF would be a good fit for the transmission.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:31 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

@65Ras,
Yes, Royal Purple Max AFT works and works fantastic! In my personal opinion they have hands down the best oils/lubs on the market.

Something I've noticed about the "x" is that the automatic transmission cooler is extremely small. I would think that it would lead to the transmission fluid overheating (as we all know heat is the number one reason any autotranny fails). So I think it would be a good idea to change it out with a larger one… but that's just personal opinion.

Service schedule on autotrannies is every 30,000 miles or so…

Old 11-10-2013, 06:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

manual transmissions usually don't use ATF.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I wanted to use Royal Purple ATF... I used Royal Purple gear oil for the transfer case. I agree, they make great oil. Problem was for me, paying $6/qt for Castrol or $17/qt. for Royal Purple or however much it is... Really makes the transmission fluid change expensive. Even the Castrol mulit-import was about $70 for 11 bottles. With the new Castrol fluid the transmission shifts a lot stronger too. For me the cost was the real barrier, but I think Castrol makes good products too and I have no problem putting in Castrol ATF, and I'm glad I did. The transmission feels so much stiffer and new. The old fluid was really brown and was due for a change.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

I wouldn't complain about the price now..because back when there was so much controversy about the proper fluid for these JATCO transmissions, it seemed that the only fluid yet then approved was the Specific fluid you could only get from the Dealer and that was like $50.00/qt...