XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

2017 35t coolant low! has anyone else had this issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2017 35t coolant low! has anyone else had this issue

Hello all,

New to this forum. Currently, I am a new Jaguar owner, bought my first Jaguar off a lease, with one previous owner. The Jaguar is a 2017 XE 35T R-Sport and had approximately 29,000 miles on it at the time of purchase.

After Purchase, I installed new air filters, new cabin filter and did an oil change. The vehicle was running perfectly for the first couple of months, until one day I get a message "coolant low". Within the same trip, which was approximately 10 miles from my house, the vehicle quickly overheats and then goes back to normal temperature. I parked that vehicle and let it sit over approximately 12-13 hours, at which time, I checked the coolant reservoir and observed that it was very low, at about 25 percent. I refilled coolant to the appropriate level. It started up like normal, but after a minute or two it began to idle very roughly, while white smoke came out of the muffles and then shut off. From this point on it would not start and I had to get it towed to the nearest Jaguar dealership, which happens to be the dealership that had performed all the previous service on the vehicle. The service department employee I was working with called me and said that the engine was done, that multiple cylinders were failing and that the engine had to be replaced. Luckily for me the vehicle is still under warrant.

My vehicle was with Jaguar for two weeks. During this time they installed an entirely new engine and radiator, only keeping the upper portion of the engine (intake manifold, supercharger). When I got the vehicle back from Jaguar is was running fine and I was not having any issued, the coolant was also back to normal.

On today's date 09/07/2020, I get the same message "coolant low" and I immediately pull over. Upon opening the hood I could smell burnt coolant and a small puddle of coolant had formed underneath my vehicle. I had it towed back to my house since the dealership is closed and I did not want to further damage it.

Has anyone else experienced this with any type of Jaguar or this particular model? Any advice?

The only thing that is on my side is that the car is under warranty but I still don't feel like taking days off for work and spending entire weekends at the dealership.

Sadly this might be my first and last Jaguar.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Sounds like the dealership have not done the engine swap job very well. I would think a coolant hose somewhere is leaking, probably where it is secured to a pipe.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:12 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ericf813

Sadly this might be my first and last Jaguar.
Sorry to hear your issues..
Follow my posts if you're interested in Jaguar issues.

Love the car and the brand but sheesh why do Hyundais run for decades?

It's been 7 days on so what has your dealer said?

Old 09-15-2020, 05:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Eric! So sorry to hear about the issues. I had an XE loaner (35t) a year ago when one dealer had broken the cars incontrol infotainment system. This loaner was fine for a day but on the second day i had it, i got the same message on the highway. I was pretty close to the dealer so i took it back, and they didn't have any other loaners so they decided to take a quick look. When they took it back I noticed something leaking out of it as it drove away. I never thought further until I saw your post. I would try going to another dealer if there is one near you. I tried 3 dealers in my area and 2 left the car more broken than when it came in. The warranty should be applicable at any dealer.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Hi. So it really sounds like a crossover pipe in your new engine. The first coolant leak you had in your original engine was blown headgaskets....but what you describe in the second instance really sound like that pesky y pipe just under the supercharger. Be glad you are under warranty still. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:47 AM
Jng
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Hi. So it really sounds like a crossover pipe in your new engine. The first coolant leak you had in your original engine was blown headgaskets....but what you describe in the second instance really sound like that pesky y pipe just under the supercharger. Be glad you are under warranty still. Good luck.
So I have a 2017 Jaguar XE 35 T R- sport. Sadly I have the same problems. Within 2 months of owning the vehicle, I get a low coolant warning on my dashboard. I pull over I can smell the antifreeze but there's no puddle underneath. I take it home I add the proper antifreeze. Within 15 miles I'm back to the same morning. Check the level and I'm low once again. After 2 gallons of adding antifreeze I take it to the shop. They couldn't replicate any problems. After 15 miles I'm back to load coolant level again. Another trip to the shop, another trip to the shop, another trip to the shop. Finally replace the cap on the reservoir and the car ran just fine for 30 days. Then to no surprise, I'm back to the same routine again. I'm out of ideas I don't see large puddles but I'm going through coolant like I'm going through gas. You think there'd be a recall since I've seen so many threads about this exact same issue. Has anybody discovered what the real problem is?

Old 05-20-2024, 11:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jng
So I have a 2017 Jaguar XE 35 T R- sport. Sadly I have the same problems. Within 2 months of owning the vehicle, I get a low coolant warning on my dashboard. I pull over I can smell the antifreeze but there's no puddle underneath. I take it home I add the proper antifreeze. Within 15 miles I'm back to the same morning. Check the level and I'm low once again. After 2 gallons of adding antifreeze I take it to the shop. They couldn't replicate any problems. After 15 miles I'm back to load coolant level again. Another trip to the shop, another trip to the shop, another trip to the shop. Finally replace the cap on the reservoir and the car ran just fine for 30 days. Then to no surprise, I'm back to the same routine again. I'm out of ideas I don't see large puddles but I'm going through coolant like I'm going through gas. You think there'd be a recall since I've seen so many threads about this exact same issue. Has anybody discovered what the real problem is?
I believe the coolant loss is not visible because it's through the coolant pipes and most of it evaporates from heat.

I had the same issue, not as severe as yours, until dealer replaced the coolant pipes with the new designed ones without seams under warranty.

Last edited by Mazen Ajouz; 05-20-2024 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:18 PM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

There are lots of places where the coolant can run and hide. The belly pan holds an enormous amount of fluid as does the valley between the heads.

The typical leaks are the seamed front/top pipes that require supercharger removal. While you’re there you want to change the water pump and oil cooler. We just bought a 2017 35t that another mechanic did all the work on but did not change the oil cooler gasket. Car still has a very slow lose of coolant. The other one is the heater manifold at the back of the motor.

Old 05-28-2024, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I’m located in Orlando if any of you that are having coolant issues need help let me know I can help! I’m a tech with the Land Rover dealer but we have the same engines as the jags

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (06-01-2024)