XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

2017 Jaguar XE 35t R-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Jaguar XE 35t R-Sport

Hello all.

I'm new to the Jaguar community and doing recon on my first purchase. I am also a member of Rennlist for my Porsche.

I came across a nice looking 2017 Jaguar XE 35t R-Sport at a small import Dealership in Tempe. They seem to have a nice selection with good price points. Clean professional outfit. It is British Racing Green with 29K Miles. It was a Jaguar lease buy back with 1 year factory warranty left. The only issue with it for me is, it is somewhat of a challenge getting in and out. I'm 6'4", 225lbs and with the A-Pillar angle for some reason it is not the easiest to get in and out. Once I'm is it's fine. It seems to be a very sharp looking car.

Are there any issues or Gremlins that are specific to the 2017 XE 35t R-Sport I need to know about? I have watched a few YouTube video's on general driving and handling and everyone seemed to enjoy the ride. Is there any other websites I can look at for research?

The price is in line. I drove it yesterday and it seemed to handle well, smooth power delivery. Hard to tell about the suspension. I had to keep iy in town on surface streets, no highway. This will be a part time DD for my wife and will be used for road trips through the northern AZ & Colorado mountains.

https://www.iautohaus.com/inventory/...l4bv9ha960405/

Thanks!!

Old 06-11-2021, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The only niggle is that the rear of the sills, (US =rocker panel), where they curve outwards at the rear wheel arch suffer from gravel rash, due to stones hitting the paint. There is a Jaguar TSB on this which involves putting on vinyl covers, but is not a warrantable item.
My car has the Comfort suspension, the Sport suspension will be firmer. If your main roads are well maintained in Arizona you should have no problems. My car was bought on 10k miles, and is now on 32k miles. No problems in that time apart from disc judder noticed on test drive and replaced under good will by the local main agent. The Jaguar disc pads produce very little dust; I am agreeably surprised ! I'm not sure if XEs for the US have a spare wheel. I had to buy one, (internet), and also the boot floor for the spare wheel option, the floor for the tyre reflation kit is narrower and sits lower.

The following users liked this post:
J E (04-13-2022)
Old 06-12-2021, 06:11 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't risk relying on a can of "goo" and not having a spare wheel!
I specified a spacesaver spare in my XE and was very glad I did when I got a puncture (flat) in SW Scotland at about 5.00pm on a Sunday night. I was able to put on the spare and drive the 150 miles home without incident. Even though the spacesaver is very "spindly" the car drove without noticeable handling issues - albeit I kept the speed down to around 55mph.
I doubt that the goo would have sealed the particular puncture I had suffered, and because there would have been no tyre dealers open at that time on a Sunday in the sparsely populated SW Scotland area, I'd have had to have the car recovered to the nearest tyre dealer and found somewhere to stay the night until Monday morning when they opened. What a hassle that would have been! Instead I was able to spend the night at home and drive the car to my local tyre dealer on the Monday and get the tyre changed.
At least Jaguars come with the option of specifying a spare - and provide space for it under the boot (trunk) floor. An increasing number of cars in the UK are now sold without even the option of a spare or any space to put one.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa4S
I came across a nice looking 2017 Jaguar XE 35t R-Sport at a small import Dealership in Tempe. They seem to have a nice selection with good price points. Clean professional outfit. It is British Racing Green with 29K Miles. It was a Jaguar lease buy back with 1 year factory warranty left. The only issue with it for me is, it is somewhat of a challenge getting in and out. I'm 6'4", 225lbs and with the A-Pillar angle for some reason it is not the easiest to get in and out. Once I'm is it's fine. It seems to be a very sharp looking car.
I love mine, although it's not an R-Sport or AWD. You should have no issues with the car EXCEPT the entry/exit problem you mentioned. I'm only 6' but have to watch my head getting in. I've knocked off a few hats in the process. Since your height isn't going to change, you need to decide whether it's worth it to have to wiggle your way in. I think you'd get used to it. (I'm near Tucson and the AC handles our weather fine.)

Old 06-13-2021, 10:14 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the same model, It is far and away the most engaging car I have ever owned. The V6 power is smooth and always ready. The car is very quick and handles amazing with AWD (I do not have experience with RWD). I find the car quite comfortable (although I am no where near 6'4").

As to challenges, you will NEVER fit in the back seat LOL. They are very cramped but if the car will rarely have more than 2 people in it, then it isn't an issue. Kids fit fine. My wife who is 5'6" does have to watch her head a little getting into the front seat, but she LOVES the ride and the heated seats which are excellent.

I don't have a lot of experience with other European makes as I graduated from Acura, but in the Colorado mountains, the Jag should be absolutely EPIC!

Old 06-13-2021, 06:57 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought my 2017 XE AWD R-Sport in September, 2016. My previous cars were a BMW 335xi, an Audi S4, and a Saab 9000. I am 5’4”, and I too find it difficult to enter and exit the driver’s seat. Other than that, the XE is at least the equal of any of my previous cars. I have been quite happy with it. It also has had fewer maintenance/warranty issues than my last few cars.

The only real gripe I have (and this is equally true of my previous cars) is the fact that low profile tires just are not intended for third-world road surfaces, such as New York City’s streets and highways. If you have numerous potholes in Arizona, then tire and rim insurance is an absolute must.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by booklaw1
I bought my 2017 XE AWD R-Sport in September, 2016. My previous cars were a BMW 335xi, an Audi S4, and a Saab 9000. I am 5’4”, and I too find it difficult to enter and exit the driver’s seat. Other than that, the XE is at least the equal of any of my previous cars. I have been quite happy with it. It also has had fewer maintenance/warranty issues than my last few cars.

The only real gripe I have (and this is equally true of my previous cars) is the fact that low profile tires just are not intended for third-world road surfaces, such as New York City’s streets and highways. If you have numerous potholes in Arizona, then tire and rim insurance is an absolute must.
Thanks for EVERYONE"S feedback!!

I purchased the JAG EX Saturday & taking delivery Tuesday. Really looking forward to taking it on a couple of shakedown runs.

Where are some good sites to look for accessories and equipment? There were some optional rims that were available that look nice. Also looking for a iPhone mount, etc...

Booklaw1; There was a 1 year YouTube video of this Jag posted. It mentioned it went thru 7 rims in 12 months. I think it was in Michigan. To your access point; Thuinking about it again, I think the A Pillar is at a slightly odd angle.

I only wish it had Apple CarPlay...

Let the fun begin!

Old 06-14-2021, 03:03 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The OEM infotainment software can be updated by the dealer to include Apple Carplay. Usually a dealer charges a few hundred dollars for the update.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:49 PM
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Hidden and very expensive danger that no one has mentioned: within a year of buying mine, I found myself shelling out for....

J E (04-10-2022)
Old 06-17-2021, 11:13 AM

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttttttttt

Old 06-17-2021, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by andrew0068
Hidden and very expensive danger that no one has mentioned: within a year of buying mine, I found myself shelling out for....

Very Nice!!
I see what you mean. I was playing around on the configurator with the F as well.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:31 PM
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Very Nice!!
I see what you mean. I was playing around on the configurator with the F as well.
Jaguar frenzy at my place: I only picked up the F-Type last Friday and the XE is at the dealer having its last under-warranty service as I type this. Oh, and I'm 191cm and can get in and out of both vehicles fine

J E (04-10-2022)
Old 06-17-2021, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by andrew0068
Jaguar frenzy at my place: I only picked up the F-Type last Friday and the XE is at the dealer having its last under-warranty service as I type this. Oh, and I'm 191cm and can get in and out of both vehicles fine
My next door neighbor in Phoenix, Az, USA, has his house for sale. You need to buy it so we can be neighbors & I can drool over your car.

Is there a website for Jaguar whereas you can plug in the VIN & get a build sheet or spec information?

What year & spec is your XE?

Old 06-24-2021, 11:47 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m also 6’4” and leased a 2017 XE 35t. I think you’ll be quite comfortable getting in and out once you get used to it. Mine was not the R-Sport so it had less aggressive suspension, but I still found a noticeable improvement in ride comfort by setting tire pressures for Light Load. If you’re not going to have more than about 400 pounds worth of people on board, it’s definitely worth keeping to Light Load inflation. Just stay on top of it; the dealer insisted on filling the tires back to normal load inflations every time I went in for service or software updates, even with giant handwritten notes that it was set for light load. 🙄

If you have the TouchPro system (larger screen), there was a recent software update that included CarPlay (but only works while the phone is tethered to the USB port). I am pretty sure it included 2017 models.

The following 2 users liked this post by (Not Mick) Jaaaagger:
John Kraft (09-10-2021), Targa4S (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by (Not Mick) Jaaaagger
I’m also 6’4” and leased a 2017 XE 35t. I think you’ll be quite comfortable getting in and out once you get used to it. Mine was not the R-Sport so it had less aggressive suspension, but I still found a noticeable improvement in ride comfort by setting tire pressures for Light Load. If you’re not going to have more than about 400 pounds worth of people on board, it’s definitely worth keeping to Light Load inflation. Just stay on top of it; the dealer insisted on filling the tires back to normal load inflations every time I went in for service or software updates, even with giant handwritten notes that it was set for light load. 🙄

If you have the TouchPro system (larger screen), there was a recent software update that included CarPlay (but only works while the phone is tethered to the USB port). I am pretty sure it included 2017 models.
Thanks for the input.

I don't think I have the touch-pro system. Consequently my head unit screen functionality leaves much to be desired. Actually disappointing for a car of this stature IMO... The Apple CarPlay on my 911 plugs into a rca type jack for the connection. I saw a YouTube video on installing Apple CarPlay Hardware on a 17 XE t35. There ate two modules that fit behind the head unit. Then you have to add the microphone (can't use existing) and add a RCA jack (can't use existing). I will bet once it's said & done it will be close to $1500 installed.

I'll call up my audio guy next week. I don't want to dump $$$ into this XE. This being our first and all...

I'm getting used to exiting & entering. Better than my 911. I'm glad it has the side ground effects I can rest my hand on getting out.

The dealership did not know it had full front PPF. When they detailed it there were tons of tiny swirls on the hood. Not sure what they used, but not PPF Cleaner & Polish. I am not a paint expert however I know the basics. I used some XPel PPF Polish I had & went over the front end with a small DA Pad & it looks showroom ready! The British Racing Green is striking!!

Old 06-24-2021, 05:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on your new ride Targa4S, I am sure you will not be disappointed. I am totally and completely in love with mine (Warts and all!) I have had mine for almost a year now and it is still as thrilling as the first day.

Cheers!
Matt

Old 06-24-2021, 05:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, gorgeous color! The infotainment system is a bit of a weak point, but it never had a problem with phone calls or music streamed from my phone over Bluetooth even though it had no CarPlay. And when you get to start carving up those mountain roads you won’t care how long the infotainment system takes to boot up! Just dial that traction control back and punch it; it’s amazing how well it holds on and keeps its composure.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:49 AM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

Beautiful Color! Makes my black XE jealous, British racing green was my second choice.

Have you considered adding this "paint additive" for your Green XE with the 6cyl? I recommend it for ANY color. I did, it will make your Targa seem slower that you thought it was before. 450HP in an XE is a blast, and would edge out the Porsche 4s 443HP in raw horsepower. The Targa is a bit faster off the line (PDK, Curbweight), this XE pulley and ecu mod will only get you the very low fours 0-60. But you can take three or four friends in the XE, with a large full trunk. Not to mention your insurance is way less for the XE (again, four doors.). ;-)

https://www.velocityap.com/product/3...26-ecu-tuning/

I saw a new 2021 Porsche Carerra S with the dealer tags on it for $166K, the dealer info sheet in the window said it had 443HP, and I grinned a bit as I got into my $43K (bought new in 2017) 450HP RWD XE. There is little comparison when it comes to Value. But I will mention I would jump at a chance to get a Porsche, if I was in that income bracket.

Thanks for the input.

I don't think I have the touch-pro system. Consequently my head unit screen functionality leaves much to be desired. Actually disappointing for a car of this stature IMO... The Apple CarPlay on my 911 plugs into a rca type jack for the connection. I saw a YouTube video on installing Apple CarPlay Hardware on a 17 XE t35. There ate two modules that fit behind the head unit. Then you have to add the microphone (can't use existing) and add a RCA jack (can't use existing). I will bet once it's said & done it will be close to $1500 installed.

I'll call up my audio guy next week. I don't want to dump $$$ into this XE. This being our first and all...

I'm getting used to exiting & entering. Better than my 911. I'm glad it has the side ground effects I can rest my hand on getting out.

The dealership did not know it had full front PPF. When they detailed it there were tons of tiny swirls on the hood. Not sure what they used, but not PPF Cleaner & Polish. I am not a paint expert however I know the basics. I used some XPel PPF Polish I had & went over the front end with a small DA Pad & it looks showroom ready! The British Racing Green is striking!!

Last edited by Austin7; 06-29-2021 at 09:20 AM.
J E (04-13-2022)
Old 06-29-2021, 09:25 PM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great man! Congrats on the sweet ride.

Be careful with that right foot, its real easy to get the est. range down to less than 200 miles

petrmj1 (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 08:41 AM

The color is GORGEOUS! Enjoy the Jag!

Quick Reply: 2017 Jaguar XE 35t R-Sport