XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

2017 XE - What to look for if buying?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default 2017 XE - What to look for if buying?

Have a friend looking at the below listed car. What should we we looking for that are potential problems with this model? What are the good points of the car?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/e...m_trusted=TRUE

Thanks

Tom in Dallas/Plano

Old 09-22-2023, 02:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
Have a friend looking at the below listed car. What should we we looking for that are potential problems with this model? What are the good points of the car?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/e...m_trusted=TRUE

Thanks

Tom in Dallas/Plano
First and foremost, see if you can find a detailed service history. The cooling system is the big weakness from my experience. You'll want to check the water pump, thermostat/housing, and the coolant pipes. I'd check and see if it has the original design coolant pipes, as these are guaranteed to fail at some point and can lead to catastrophic damages to your engine. With the mileage on the car, it has either happened already or will happen if those pipes are still on. You'll want at least the upgraded design plastic pipes, or they do have aluminum aftermarket pipes as well. They actually make a kit with the aluminum pipes, water pump, thermostat housing, etc. Check the wheel bearings, as they can be pretty pricey to replace eventually. These are issues I've had with my 2017 3.0 AWD recently. The cooling system is the big one that is common with these.

If you haven't already, I'd also check and see if they have the spare key. Those can be pricey as well.

Old 09-23-2023, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,464 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Black car, black windows, black interior. Not my kind of car !

Old 09-23-2023, 08:52 PM
Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

2017 XE has 2 GAS 4 cylinder engine versions
1) 2.0 EcoBoost Turbo made by Ford
2) 2.0 25T Ingenium Turbo made by Jaguar/Land Rover

If the oil filter is on the top of the engine, it's an Ingenium. If the oil filter is at the lower side of the engine, it's an EcoBoost.
The 2.0 EcoBoost has problems but it has already been fixed by Ford. Ford is in a lawsuit about thier EcoBoost engines. Google for more info
The 2.0 Ingenium Turbo GAS/PETROL made by Jaguar/Land Rover has a robust and reliable engine. I've been in forums with Jaguar and Land Rover and no reports of engine problems. There seems to have some timing chain issues on Ingenium 2.0 DIESEL engines (for what I read on this forum and Land Rover) but it was corrected before the 2019 models

FYI: There is also a 6 cylinder engine availble for 2017 XE model. But the one you are looking has a 4 cylinder engine (accoriding to the link). I just you to be aware of that.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 09-23-2023 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
2017 XE has 2 GAS 4 cylinder engine versions
1) 2.0 EcoBoost Turbo made by Ford
2) 2.0 25T Ingenium Turbo made by Jaguar/Land Rover

If the oil filter is on the top of the engine, it's an Ingenium. If the oil filter is at the lower side of the engine, it's an EcoBoost.
The 2.0 EcoBoost has problems but it has already been fixed by Ford. Ford is in a lawsuit about thier EcoBoost engines. Google for more info
The 2.0 Ingenium Turbo GAS/PETROL made by Jaguar/Land Rover has a robust and reliable engine. I've been in forums with Jaguar and Land Rover and no reports of engine problems. There seems to have some timing chain issues on Ingenium 2.0 DIESEL engines (for what I read on this forum and Land Rover) but it was corrected before the 2019 models

FYI: There is also a 6 cylinder engine availble for 2017 XE model. But the one you are looking has a 4 cylinder engine (accoriding to the link). I just you to be aware of that.
Seems to be the one built by Jag. Problem for my friend is that it has a rebuilt title, which may or may not bad. It has had one since 2019 it appears.

Thanks

Tom

Old 09-24-2023, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Black car, black windows, black interior. Not my kind of car !
Agree, but not for me.

Thnaks

T

Old 09-25-2023, 05:04 PM
Received 283 Likes on 213 Posts

My 2018 XES has all manner of creaks and rattles in the interior. I was so focused on the handling and power when I test drove it that I was deaf to them, but unfortunately I started noticing them quite quickly. I have three distinct issues - the interior panels (mostly the trim panel around the HUD and the panel that covers the driver's seatbelt retraction mechanism), the sunroof, and the door rubbers. Door rubbers didn't respond to silicon grease or gummi pfledge, so I have UHMW PTFE tape (marketed by 3M as "squeak reduction tape) on the bodywork between the paint and the door rubbers. Sound went away, but the tape is visible so it's not a long-term solution.

I love the car and don't regret my purchase, and I believe most of the rattles will be fixable by throwing enough time at them... but I'd still suggest test driving it thoroughly on bumpy roads, and be sure to go over some driveways and speed humps at an angle to twist the chassis as this is when most of the noises pop up.

Last edited by dangoesfast; 09-25-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
My 2018 XES has all manner of creaks and rattles in the interior. I was so focused on the handling and power when I test drove it that I was deaf to them, but unfortunately I started noticing them quite quickly. I have three distinct issues - the interior panels (mostly the trim panel around the HUD and the panel that covers the driver's seatbelt retraction mechanism), the sunroof, and the door rubbers. Door rubbers didn't respond to silicon grease or gummi pfledge, so I have UHMW PTFE tape (marketed by 3M as "squeak reduction tape) on the bodywork between the paint and the door rubbers. Sound went away, but the tape is visible so it's not a long-term solution.

I love the car and don't regret my purchase, and I believe most of the rattles will be fixable by throwing enough time at them... but I'd still suggest test driving it thoroughly on bumpy roads, and be sure to go over some driveways and speed humps at an angle to twist the chassis as this is when most of the noises pop up.
Thanks

My friend is not going to get the car as it has a rebuilt title.

TBB

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (09-25-2023)