XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

3.0 going beyond a tune and pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 01:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3.0 going beyond a tune and pulley

Hey folks!

Has anyone developed any internal mods for the 3.0l engine? Cams? Heads? Anyone try NO2? Has anyone deleted the cats and put on headers? Since they put the engine into... well everything I am wondering what is available out there.

Thanks for any insight!

Old 12-16-2020, 03:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard that the block is the same as the V8 in the project 8. So it will probably be only a matter of time where someone comes up with an unlock ie. the pistons, upper manifold, extra injectors, and piston rods etc. for it. it would be a 2 cylinder kit with a 8 cyl manifold. and of course exhaust too probably. Its def expensive but I mean if it can be done. that would be cool.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:32 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't think that a conversion is feasible. There is a great article that explains the differences at:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ers-redundant/

Old 12-16-2020, 10:22 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,109 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Right, the block is the same size but internals aren't the same. Ftype17 on the F-type forum has bored his V6 to 3.4 liters and claims crazy power (with lots of other mods).

Old 12-17-2020, 09:31 AM

Right, that makes sense, if you take the v8 bore with the v6 crank, you should get about that (i didn't do the math). A crazy cool engine would be to do the v8 bore, but also mod the block to get rid of the 2 dummy cylinders. That would save 50 lbs (estimate based on the article), and move the weight of the engine 4 inches or so back improving handling! If you assume the VAP tune and pulley power scales linearly, you would be at or very near 500hp with better even better handling! What a monster!

Old 12-17-2020, 11:12 AM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy1
Right, that makes sense, if you take the v8 bore with the v6 crank, you should get about that (i didn't do the math). A crazy cool engine would be to do the v8 bore, but also mod the block to get rid of the 2 dummy cylinders. That would save 50 lbs (estimate based on the article), and move the weight of the engine 4 inches or so back improving handling! If you assume the VAP tune and pulley power scales linearly, you would be at or very near 500hp with better even better handling! What a monster!
After that much effort, it seems an all out engine replacement with the JLR V8 might make as much sense. (AJ133)
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ssible-239132/

Back in the real world, I'm considering a water/meth kit. Not sure I have the ***** to do NO2 as this is my daily driver.

I'd be remiss if I did not mention the VelocityAP Transmission tune, very much worth the money and shaves a good 2/10 sec off your 0-60's. Car pulls harder!

Last edited by Austin7; 12-17-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:43 PM

Yeah it is fun to dream a bit with a car like ours... So nice to start with!

Old 12-17-2020, 11:45 PM
CSL
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin7
After that much effort, it seems an all out engine replacement with the JLR V8 might make as much sense. (AJ133)
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ssible-239132/

Back in the real world, I'm considering a water/meth kit. Not sure I have the ***** to do NO2 as this is my daily driver.

I'd be remiss if I did not mention the VelocityAP Transmission tune, very much worth the money and shaves a good 2/10 sec off your 0-60's. Car pulls harder!
My best -0-60 run was 4.1 with a Dragy on stock P7's and an ehh road. I should have the transmission tune flashed next week-- Sub 4 sec to 60 would be great!

Old 12-18-2020, 10:56 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Would love to see if you can get it under 4!
Thinking of doing the pully/Tune and transmission tune once my warranty is up on the XE S AWD at the end of 2021 - should end up with similar results id imagine

Old 12-18-2020, 12:22 PM

I was very fortunate this month regarding in warranty repair. I noticed some coolant leaking on a short errand I was running two weeks ago after I had the pulley installed.

On the way back home the engine light and a "Low Coolant" nanny popped up, so I immediately exited, parked, and called Jaguar Elitecare for a tow to our newest Jag dealer in Austin, Sewell Jaguar. The tow truck got there in only 20 minutes!

Short version is I had developed a leak on the coolant outlet hose and gasket. They replaced that and pressure tested again, this time the coolant overflow hose leaked, so they replaced that and re-pressure tested, it was finally fixed.

Never was my tune mentioned, even though I have badged my car "Stage II+" on the trunk and grille, and the car is obviously modded under the hood with that shinny upgraded intake pipe kit, and I had told him on the last service visit I had tuned the ECU and to not reflash it, the dealership STILL honored the warranty.

BTW in 2017 I had an email argument with Pianca Vasques , JLR's Executive Liason for JLR usa, and the JLR legal department about "my right to tune the car", so JLR is VERY AWARE I tuned the car. I may have actually won my legal argument with her, although she and the lawyers were not too happy with me. This may have played a role in the honoring of my warranty. (their final stance was "JLR does not recommend modifications like ECU tuning" on their vehicles").

I am also very careful with my relationship with my service writers, I was very patient with them and put their time first, trying to be the best customer possible. Their jobs can get really shitty with mad customers, so if you treat them with respect and understanding, it helps IMHO.

They put me in a Landrover Discovery Sport Loaner that had only 700 miles on it, and when they asked for extra time to get parts in I told them they could take their time, as I was good for the time being. I made my wife drive it to work and back, she liked the truck (as a rule dislikes SUV's). They might get an SUV sale if we can swing it next year, so they know what they are doing with a nice new Landrover loaner, lol.

I'm not sure the experience would have been the same with a major repair like a bent rod or shredded transmission after a tune. Fortunately this engine is way under-tuned from the factory, so when we get these up to 450HP they are not so far out of spec that I worry about the engine. Likewise, that ZF8 tranny can easily handle up to 600Ft/lbs of torque, as we have good headroom there.

Last edited by Austin7; 12-18-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Maybe that new North Austin dealership is a little more tolerant than the one down south...

The one south promptly booted me out of the shop because my car was tuned when my catalytic converters melted last year. Considering how expensive stock cats are, I can understand the pushback. (And its quite likely the pops/crackles tune was a major contribution towards the failure.) The South Austin dealer's maintenance printout showed that they had noted my car was 'modified with springs, exhaust, and a tune' in their system so I've never tried to go back.

Maybe I'll give Sewell a call in the future. Closer to me anyway. I was kind of hoping to get the infotainment system updated to the latest with the hopes I can one day get beyond the bluetooth audio issues. The bluetooth phonebook app fix broke with the android 11 update and I'm back to waiting 10-15 min before I can stream audio.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:52 AM

Sewell is worth the visit if only to see the most modern service bays I've ever seen. They have AT LEAST 48 bays in the facility they opened this year, it's extremely impressive even peering through the window. Real 2020 stuff.

Last edited by Austin7; 12-19-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:01 PM
CSL

Originally Posted by avinaash
Would love to see if you can get it under 4!
Thinking of doing the pully/Tune and transmission tune once my warranty is up on the XE S AWD at the end of 2021 - should end up with similar results id imagine
Cannot emphasize enough how much it will transform the car. And XE S did receive a lot of good updates over the 35t. That + the mods will make worth keeping for a while imo.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:05 PM
CSL

My service advisor has always been pretty open about these mods-- in their eyes as long as it is not a blown engine then warranty should be upheld which makes sense to me.

Cats... I could definitely see how having a tune (and pops and crackles) could lead to warranty denial for that specific item.

Coolant leaks were always a concern of mine even before buying the car... it seems if you don't catch it right away chances are the engine is cooked.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:26 AM

Yup, I pulled over and shut down as soon as I saw the coolant nanny. Not worth taking the risk of going the one mile that would have gotten me home. I had added a gauge earlier and my temps did not exceed 94C, which is normal for my car. This gauge has a high temp alarm set at 99c.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-Car-Da...gAAOSwOWBe4HJk

Back on topic, how does another 50-70HP sound? I should be able to hit over 500HP with one of these, as long as the tank lasts. This Meth kit is cool as it adds progressively more mix as you add more throttle. And you get to keep your teeth!

https://www.nitrousexpress.com/stage...no-210-brd.asp

Last edited by Austin7; 12-20-2020 at 09:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (12-21-2023)
Old 12-20-2020, 10:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You first!

Here I was thinking I had done just about everything that could be done... then you show the Mina intakes, the tranny tune, casually mention plasma spark plugs... now this? Are you sponsored by these folks?!

Old 12-20-2020, 11:59 AM
CSL

Would VAP have an off the shelf tune ready for Water/Meth? If not it might take some back and forth datalogging. Though I'd be interested.... it never ends lol.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by CSL
Would VAP have an off the shelf tune ready for Water/Meth? If not it might take some back and forth datalogging. Though I'd be interested.... it never ends lol.
I've sent a message to VAP about their opinion on the Meth and their tune, will LYK. My sense is I'll need to have my local tuner Josh at Exotic Power and Performance advance my timing and fuel/air mix after datalogging, we should be good.

Check this video where the Snow 2.5 meth/water kit added around 129Ft/lb torque, and around 70Hp. This BMW tester was highly modded, but I love the 3gal stealth tank in the trunk in this install. Love the torque improvement!

That's Plus 129 Ft/lb! Yum yum yum yum...

Last edited by Austin7; 12-20-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:04 AM
CSL

There's a thread over on the F-type forum with a detailed write up on installing a water/meth kit (albeit for the V8)-- no results, impressions, dynos yet so I am waiting to see how that project turns out before considering this. There's a guy on the the XE facebook group who has a water/meth kit installed; again, no dynos, slips, or dragy/vbox results.

I think looking at B8.5 S4/S5 numbers would be a better comparison since our powertrains are very alike.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:27 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,109 Likes on 1,408 Posts

My memory is that PhillySingle also did this on the F-type forum some years ago, though he’s since sold the car and moved on.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...wheels-170959/

Last edited by DJS; 12-22-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 3.0 going beyond a tune and pulley