XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

3.0 going beyond a tune and pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 08:41 AM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

My tuner over at Exotic Power and Performance pointed out the problem with the Meth/Water setup is that it does require a specific tune to work well. This means you need to run with a full tank of water/meth all the time. If you run without any in the tank, you would need to re-tune the engine to run without meth again.
For this reason I am re-focusing on replacing the Radiator with a superior custom made radiator this should help a lot with heat soak and exchange, raising efficiencies of the boost, 24/7.

In all honesty I am enjoying the heck out of this car at 450HP.

Yesterday I got on the freeway and noticed a 2020 Mustang GT 5.0 cooking my direction. I let him pass me (he saw me and gunned it, his pipes were loud, maybe aftermarket?)

As we were both in the right lane he signaled to get into the middle lane, I signaled behind him and crossed into the fast lane to his left. We both nailed it, and I slowly passed him as we climbed to 120 or so. After that I pulled away handily. (we were closely matched, I'd say)

As I waved to him in the review, I could not help but think that dude was pretty disappointed getting beat by a 6cyl, and maybe was thinking that Mustang with 460HP from the factory was not as fast as he thought!

Even as good as this is, I still dream of getting a crate engine and have Josh at EPP rebuild it up for me with larger bore, forged piston rods, the works. This would not require special fuels to run. (Pipe dream?)

Next for me is the v3 suspension, which is on a 90 day lead time from KW. Did I mention how improved this car is with the tranny tune? It's a pretty dramatic difference, much faster and responsive to throttle.

Last edited by Austin7; 12-22-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:16 AM
CSL
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I sent my transmission file over to VAP last night, hoping I get it back before Christmas but that's probably wishful thinking 😅

I enjoy the car with the ~450hp very much. If we could get more out of this powertrain I'd gladly give it a shot but it probably won't scratch that itch until I switch over to an F-Type R or something else with more power. Building an engine sounds badass, especially if it can be done reliably as this is my daily. However, the XE lacks a lot (interior quality, tech, etc.) which deters me from sinking more and more $$$ into the car. An F-Type would still lack some of the tech from newer cars but the power, exhaust, interior quality, and looks would be enough to overcome those shortcomings in my book.