XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Aftermarket Rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket Rims

Hi all,

I have a question about rim sizes, I currently have a 2017 XE R-Sport ( 20" rims ) ( 20x8.5 in the rear 265/30ZR20 (94Y) XL ) ( 20x7.5 in the front 235/35ZR20 (92Y) XL ) I hate the tires that came with the car ( Pirelli P-Zeros) as they pick up every little thing ( like they are coated in bubble gum ) I live around the Portland OR area and with the rain comes the bits of gravel all over the road and the only thing the tires do is fling said gravel all over the place. There is only two other choices for tires Michelin Pilot Sport or Falken Azenis, does anyone have insight on the Michelin if they are sticky, or is my only other option to buy new rims, and if I go with the new rims can I buy the same rim size for all four tires or do I need to keep with the current dims ( front being different than the back)?

Old 03-02-2021, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

I have the michelins on my daily and on the front of our XE (after one of the P Zero's developed an egg). The daily has done maybe 10,000 miles with them on, less on the XE.

The grip is fantastic with them, a huge improvement on the P Zeros although my car will break traction in the wet or dry if it is pushed (bearing in mind it is 450hp now). But much, much better than the P Zeros. Better ride and handling as well.

Even my missus noticed the improvement changing to them on the front of our XE.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey MrJag2020,

I also have the 2017 XE R-Sport (450HP VAP Tune) with the 19" Venom rims. It came brand new with the Pirelli Cintaurato P7's so I didn't have a choice, but I would never choose them again. I popped two at the same time, same pothole...both by the sidewall being pinched. In hindsight, I should have ditched the other two and switched to Michelin's but there was only 2000 miles on the car and tires!

Since the original Pirelli's, I had been running Michelin Sport A/S 3 and then A/S 3+ when they became available. I really liked the Michelin's. Really good grip for an all season tire...never did anything surprising. I do run them at the lower tire pressure light load range setting and change the TPMS setting to Light Load so I don't get the low pressure warnings. I think the sidewalls on the Michelin's are stiffer (and stronger) than the Pirelli's. On the normal load pressure setting 47psi rear / 43psi front they just feel two hard and would skip a little on mid-turn sharp bumps. I prefer the feel of them at around 40psi rear / 37psi front.

Last year I needed new tires. I really wanted to try the Michelin Pilot All Season 4's. I could not find any Michelin Pilots 3, 3+ or 4's anywhere in the sizes for my wheels, I assume because of Covid manufacturing challenges. I've ended up with Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate...stupid marketing name but they actually got rated close to the Michelin A/S 4's on Tire Rack.

The Goodyear's feel to have plenty of grip and were decent in the snow, but I have noticed that where I live, the side streets have quite a bit of loose gravel lately and I can hear it getting flung around in the wheel arches. I don't ever remember hearing this with the Michelin's. I don't know if it's stickiness or tread pattern, but the Goodyear's do it more than then Michelin's.

Anyway, sorry long answer, but if I can get them I'll go back to Michelin's (hopefully A/S 4's) next time new tires are needed. They get my vote for first choice...I'd go with the Goodyear's again as the second choice. Can't comment on the Falken's.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:05 AM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJag2020
Hi all,

I have a question about rim sizes, I currently have a 2017 XE R-Sport ( 20" rims ) ( 20x8.5 in the rear 265/30ZR20 (94Y) XL ) ( 20x7.5 in the front 235/35ZR20 (92Y) XL ) I hate the tires that came with the car ( Pirelli P-Zeros) as they pick up every little thing ( like they are coated in bubble gum ) I live around the Portland OR area and with the rain comes the bits of gravel all over the road and the only thing the tires do is fling said gravel all over the place. There is only two other choices for tires Michelin Pilot Sport or Falken Azenis, does anyone have insight on the Michelin if they are sticky, or is my only other option to buy new rims, and if I go with the new rims can I buy the same rim size for all four tires or do I need to keep with the current dims ( front being different than the back)?
My opinion is go for 19” wheels staggered. The reason is any tire you get for those 20’s are going to be super low profile rubber bands. You can get higher profile tires with the 19’s which preserves the diameter of the wheels and substantially soften the ride. If you go aftermarket may I suggest Savini or Vorsteiner concave? Concave wheels with a lower offset will poke the wheels out a bit so the wheels won’t look so tucked in. They also look really cool.

Personally, I have the same Pirelli P Zero stretched out over Savini 20x9 and 20x10 and they’re fine on my roads. Savini’s and Vorsteiners come in 19’s too. Niche and Velgen are also good possibilities. I’m not sure what offsets to get on the 19’s. Tire sizes for the 19 inch wheels would be Front: 225-40-19 Rear: 255-35-19. I have Michelin Pilot Sports on my Fiesta ST and they improved the ride considerably over OEM.

Edit: here is just one example of what 19” aftermarket wheels can look like. Albeit this is a squared setup. https://www.hubcap-tire-wheel.com/ve...rims-3307.html

Last edited by Jagged Wire; 03-15-2021 at 01:22 AM. Reason: content, provided link