XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Another Flat

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts
Default Another Flat

Last night, I had my third flat in the XE, with the 19" wheels. Luckily, after the 2nd tire was destroyed, I got wheel/tire insurance. Never had a car (have a had a few cars with 19" wheels) that suffered so many tire/wheel issues. Waiting for the dealership to open to figure out how I get the car there etc...

4300 miles and this is 3rd tire... Is this a record?

Old 04-02-2017, 08:56 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

This problem is well known as PEBSWEC.

Problem Exists Between Steering Wheel and Chair

Are you living near new construction zone by chance?

Old 04-02-2017, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ololly
This problem is well known as PEBSWEC.

Problem Exists Between Steering Wheel and Chair

Are you living near new construction zone by chance?
Not at all. This time I think from a pot hole. Major gash on side wall. Dealership opens in 30 minutes.

Have had more flats and wheel damage to this car then all my previous cars combined!

Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Not at all. This time I think from a pot hole. Major gash on side wall. Dealership opens in 30 minutes.

Have had more flats and wheel damage to this car then all my previous cars combined!
Sorry to hear that. Just unlucky I guess... Wheel and tire insurance was a smart move then.

Also you may consider calling to DOT. If that pothole was deeper than certain depth they are responsible for the damage caused by it. IIRC

Old 04-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Just unlucky I guess... Wheel and tire insurance was a smart move then.

Also you may consider calling to DOT. If that pothole was deeper than certain depth they are responsible for the damage caused by it. IIRC
wish i would have know that before!!! I have a similar thing happen to me in a parking lot. Driveing at under 20 MPH, slipped into a freaking pot hole the size of a mortar shell crater...totally destroyed my tire.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Ugh - Massachusetts in spring is pothole heaven Not sure quite how the tire warranty works, but you can try DOT as ololly suggests if it happened on a state highway; otherwise, try the individual town/city (may even have better luck). When I had a blow out on 128 in Peabody a few years ago, MA DOT was useless, as was the city of Peabody because it's a state highway. However, a little research revealed that Continental actually covered replacement for free because I'd just purchased them a month or two earlier, even though I hadn't purchased a separate warranty. I pointed this out to the tire dealer and they covered it for free. Not sure what brand of tires you have, but worth a shot.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

It shouldn't be so easy to get 3 punctures in such a short period of time.

What I am trying to say is that either the tire that you are using has weak sidewalls or the pressure needs to be adjusted (it might also be a combination of those things)

I have already driven over 10K miles in Boston and surrounding areas. I should admit that I've hit a couple of potholes so deep that I had to stop and check if rim/tire was okay.
However, I have not gotten a single puncture. It might be my 18'' rims but I do like to keep my tire pressures fairly high.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
Ugh - Massachusetts in spring is pothole heaven Not sure quite how the tire warranty works, but you can try DOT as ololly suggests if it happened on a state highway; otherwise, try the individual town/city (may even have better luck). When I had a blow out on 128 in Peabody a few years ago, MA DOT was useless, as was the city of Peabody because it's a state highway. However, a little research revealed that Continental actually covered replacement for free because I'd just purchased them a month or two earlier, even though I hadn't purchased a separate warranty. I pointed this out to the tire dealer and they covered it for free. Not sure what brand of tires you have, but worth a shot.
These are Pirelli all season tires. The first tire was due to nail just at the edge of the tire; they were unable to patch it. The 2nd tire was a massive bubble on side wall. Now this... I dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday. Used Jaguar Roadside Assistance to have someone put the spare on. The service worked well; thank you Jaguar. I haven't heard from the dealer yet. Will give them till noon today before I call them.

Was able to check out the Alfa Guilia next door at the new Alfa dealership (share showroom with Maserati, Lamborghini, and Rolls-Bentley). They had a few that stickered around 40K that were pretty nice! I like the over all design inside and out.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Dealership called me this morning and said they ordered the tire and hope to have it delivered today by 1:00 PM. If that happens, I should get my car back today!

So far, the service by both JLR and the dealership has been good. Reminded service writer to make sure there is no previous tire weight adhesive remaining when they re-balance the tire.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Dealership called me this morning and said they ordered the tire and hope to have it delivered today by 1:00 PM. If that happens, I should get my car back today!

So far, the service by both JLR and the dealership has been good. Reminded service writer to make sure there is no previous tire weight adhesive remaining when they re-balance the tire.
They completely covered the tire cost without questions asked, right?

I also got tire and wheel insurance and I know sooner or later, I will have to use it too.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
They completely covered the tire cost without questions asked, right?
The Service Writer said it was completely covered without cost (hopefully that is same story when I go to pick it up). They did not ask me any questions about how it happened.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Just got an update from Service Writer and the tire wasn't delivered to the dealership. He said it would be there first thing tomorrow morning. No loaner car of course... I hope they can at pick me up at my house to get the car. Dealership is 8 miles away.

Name:  IMG_1287_zpssdyoymf2.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  168.9 KB

Old 04-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Car will be delayed until tomorrow afternoon. Jaguar has a service bulletin on a USB cable that needs to be replaced. I told them I could wait until the cable is here tomorrow since I was unable to get the car until after work.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Same wheels, average to poor roads here, 10,000kms - so far no problems (touch wood). We have Dunlop SportMaxx specified on ours, though.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These are Pirelli all season tires. The first tire was due to nail just at the edge of the tire; they were unable to patch it. The 2nd tire was a massive bubble on side wall. Now this... I dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday. Used Jaguar Roadside Assistance to have someone put the spare on. The service worked well; thank you Jaguar. I haven't heard from the dealer yet. Will give them till noon today before I call them.

Was able to check out the Alfa Guilia next door at the new Alfa dealership (share showroom with Maserati, Lamborghini, and Rolls-Bentley). They had a few that stickered around 40K that were pretty nice! I like the over all design inside and out.

That car Alfa Guilia, don't like it at all..... reminds me of the cheap @#$% stereos with all those funky designs they used to sell at Walmart.... maybe they still do....

Old 04-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

These are Pirelli all season tires. The first tire was due to nail just at the edge of the tire; they were unable to patch it. The 2nd tire was a massive bubble on side wall. Now this... I dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday. Used Jaguar Roadside Assistance to have someone put the spare on. The service worked well; thank you Jaguar. .
I have the 2017 XE Prestige--and it comes with the 18" Continental ProContact tires. Despite what some owners have said about the ProContacts, and despite that Jaguar chose them as OEM tires, some reviews call them MIDDLE of the line, not in the top range of tire in their class.

We have pothole mania here in NY after a really mild but wet winter. And although the tire handles well on the road, I find too many stones in the treads, and to me that's a sign it may be inclined to pick up every chunk of shrapnel from crappy-streets. A set of Michelins may cost the same as the Continentals, have great driving reviews, but most importantly, Michelin's I had didn't get more than one puncture every three years, and NEVER a sidewall tear. NY potholes and metal scrap littered streets didn't seem to nick the tires. By next year, I'm going to be switching.

Sometimes I just have to stay pragmatic, and be willing to put a less sporty tire on it, but a more street-savvy tire so the wheels don't get chewed up like hamburger so much.

I'm sure the default Pirellis (19"?) are good for the handling, but I'll bet they aren't the best Pirellis for your buck or for your particular roads. If you're paying for these replacements, see what else comes in your rim size.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been under the impression that with AWD, it is necessary that all four tires be the same. Now I know that the front and rear tires on my AWD R-Sport are different sizes, but the same model and make of tire (19" Pirelli Cinturato). In less than 3000 miles, i've already had to replace two tires and one rim (the other rim had to be repaired).

Is it possible or unwise to replace a single tire with a different make and model of tire of the same size (e.g. to drive on three Pirelli's and a single Michelin?) if that is safe I would upgrade my tires one at a time.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin

I'm sure the default Pirellis (19"?) are good for the handling, but I'll bet they aren't the best Pirellis for your buck or for your particular roads. If you're paying for these replacements, see what else comes in your rim size.
They're OK handling or a decent all season tire, but if the failure rate is similar to mine than not so good. Last all seasons I had were on my XK; Pilot Sport AS+. Also ok/decent tire for all season, but never puncture or bubble.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by booklaw1

Is it possible or unwise to replace a single tire with a different make and model of tire of the same size (e.g. to drive on three Pirelli's and a single Michelin?) if that is safe I would upgrade my tires one at a time.
I would replace them in pairs fronts and backs if going with different tire. I am not sure how many miles a tire can go without mandating it swapped in pairs even if same brand on an AWD car.

The following users liked this post:
booklaw1 (04-04-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

This was my fear as well since I got the 20" Propellers and seen Jag uses the crappy Pirelli tires so they sold me the wheel & tire package Plus for $1750 and they said it covers cosmetic as well.

I just changed the 20" tires to Conti DWS tires and now I feel so much better. I am sorry this is going on with your tires as I have the same fears as you do.