XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Any idea how much rear brakes should cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh cape cod
Parts costs?
400-600 USD depending on oem, aftermarket. Nothing fancy like slotted rotors.

I would buy pads, wear sensor wire, and rotors myself and bring garage of choice. OEM or not your call o parts. I would get the OEM wear sensor wire though.

On my 2018 XE the rotors all corners were shot at about 55-60K miles, so doing pads needed rotors. not abnormal. Bring to Indy garage.

I did my rear brakes myself. Once. The routing of the rear sensor wire is blind with 3-4 push pin clips, and painful on your back....take a pic of the wire routing that is visible around the rotor area its a little hard to determine later. Second time i just had a local shop do them, they know I do some self car work and asked why did not do myself-i laughed and said you will see that rear sensor wire sucked! Any ole shop can do pads and rotors there is nothing crazy about brake work.

NOW note this - at 12-14K miles or so, i did have a defective rear brake issue. Lease car so free maintenance (but not wearable items like pads). The dealer flat our tried to screw me and was dishonest to me (Jaguar of Norwood MA, USA), said I needed pads on rear, which was true. BUT They neglected to tell me that pad was 99% worn on one side of rotor, that did not have the wear sensor (forgot in or outside) , and the other side pad was 0% worn. Both right and left rear side had this issue. They asked for like 1000$USD bucks to do just pads+sensor wire. SO in anger I did myself. If you have dealer do brakes, ask for the pads to be left in car on floor mat or trunk to examine. I should have filed a safety complaint. Never figured out why, the slide pins were new of course. there are reports of similar issue on new Jags....Maybe caliper just was stuck and never released. Never had this issue again.....next set of pads lasted from ~14K to 55K ish.
hello Josh,
picked up a 2019,XE 25T AWD at Norwood used
I looked the car over. Recommended to Norwood Jag. Rotors & pads all around , new continental tires all around and a new windshield , took about 2 weeks to pick up car …. They couldn’t have been nicer …. Normally I do brakes my self but if purchasing for a price …. They did it all
so far pretty pleased with them ,

The following users liked this post:
Rodgerrabbit (01-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2022, 02:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Norwood Jag-

The Good and Great -

a) The sale process was great short and sweet and a good deal 1% msrp for car on lease, owner(son?) handled.
b) picked up the car for service when needed, with a loaner. about an hour drive each way. awesome
c) handled a windshield replacement early on when nobody had Jag windshields for the XE (safelite for example)

The Bad-

a) Brake issue detailed, see pics. 100% wear outside pad, zero wear inside pad that has the wear sensor. Okay, so how did Service handle? The told me it was 1000$ for rear pads, toasted at like 15K ish miles! Rear pads do get worn on these AWD cars beiore front but this was a clear defect/safety issue. So my wife's car was a nearly dangerous scenario. And they should have involved Jag and done the job for free. Next its like 150$ in parts and they wanted 850$ labor for what? an hour?? did them self.

b)Next up, 55kish miles, 2000$ quote for pads/rotors/wires. all 4 corners. thats normal all good on the need. Okay, 500$ ish parts. handed off to Indy garage. so half that price in end

c) I just paid Jag topix90$ to download the shop manual and error codes - lo and behold Jag Norwood Never entered a single bit of work in Topix online.

d) now its off lease, so just did an oil change myself. and engine air filter. Guess what? The dealer never once changed the Engine Air Filter! The screws were rusted, and the filter had a 10/2017 date and was filthy. plus a critter got on top of it sometime. IMO never changed the engine air filter, probably due to fact its annoying. on a 2.0 Turbo clean air is critical.

e) 300-400$ quotes for cabin air filter changes lol i forget the exact cost. It is a PITA who places the filter behind the glove box needing to remove it?

I'm the guy who checks part costs online, grabs a service manual and checks the labor hours noted for the job. I pull the codes with an OBD reader myself. Sometimes I will do the work in my garage, some times I will not. My back is bad these days. I am fine with labor charge a bit more for a dealer, but not being lied 2 on labor times/part costs for simple jobs, never mind a defective new car safety issue with brakes.

I doubt I am a unicorn with Jag Norwood Service dept, just a far more educated and handy person than the normal Jag/Land Rover/Range Rover buyer. It is not the first dealer or even indy shop I have caught being dishonest. I can name a Honda dealer remote location (but not the Honda main dealer ),Audi dealer around Boston, Merc dealer around Boston, and a local garage in Orleans, MA that all tried to pull fast ones. It is probably the norm more than not.

Anyways....I am now dealing with a turbo underboost error P0299, actuator stuck open,l replaced the turbo myself with help this week from a buddy whom is a mechanic. And discovered the dirty air filter after finished turbo job.... I am hoping it is the dirty engine air filter at cause as nothing else looks wrong. New OEM turbo Ebay is 600$, gaskets 100$, scraped hands and cursing, it is done. a 2000$ new part + dealer labor who knows that cost. Otherwise the car has been rock solid! Great MPG. Fun'ish. 247HP Petrol 2.0.

If anyone wants the Topix manual DM me....

Old 12-16-2022, 02:45 PM

pics....

The dirty engine filter I cannot be 100% was never replaced, but i am pretty sure the case. besides the vermin evidence, the filter pleats were filthy, screws appeared to have never been touched the heads were rusty. The filter date code aligns with the build date. I live in the woods of cape cod, so rodentia are a problem with cars not in garage. Usually as gets cold in early winter.

Old 12-17-2022, 08:16 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,156 Likes on 1,445 Posts

I just paid $700 for rear pads, rotors and wear sensor from an indy, at 40k miles. He said he uses parts from the same company that makes them for JLR, so sort of OEM.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
I just paid $700 for rear pads, rotors and wear sensor from an indy, at 40k miles. He said he uses parts from the same company that makes them for JLR, so sort of OEM.
You should check what was our on the car for parts....what brand? Where source parts like NAPA? Rock Auto why not go high end kit then....
Now lets see what rock auto can do....
  • https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+pad+kit,13824
    • rotor/pad kits from 95$ to 280$. skip the low end junk.
    • the power stop kits pads/rotors/wires for 215$ and 270$ are very good!
    • the power stop OEM equivalent is 146, OEM+coated is 215, Z23 slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads 270$.
Labor:

Topix is 1.10 hours for rotors, and .90 hours for pads. aka 2 hours. The hardest part is the wire sensor as it blind routes. easier on lift than your back. Tech can do if faster than 2 hours with any experience. But 2 hour job billing is fine.

Power Stop. Z23 kit. Make sure have correct rotor (3 choices in size)....2 hours labor @ 150$ per is dealer price. I come up with 470 call it 500$ job. Slotted/Drilled rotors, ceramic pads, sensor wire.

I have done both Z23 Power Stop and OEM for pads/rotors./wires. Frankly you cannot tell the difference. I avoid the 200$ OEM rotors that is a theft.

Did you get raped? No. Did your garage prob put lower than OEM on your car and tell you otherwise? Maybe. Maybe not. Definitely did not put slotted/drilled right?

Old 04-02-2024, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably mean Great Neck Jag which is now Freeport Jag.............Very poor work