XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Anybody else don't like the idea of the XE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by GGabriel
It wasn't until the second day that I asked the hp. It had the XE R Sport package. It turned out they were just weirdly configured and only had the 340 hp powertrain. I would've sworn it was the 380 hp engine from how loud they were and just how smoking fast they were.

I could have passed the BMW in front me without trying very hard, and I couldn't get away from the XE on my tail during switch out. It became intimidating, like I was in a ME 109 with a Spitfire about to flare me that I couldn't shake.

The 380 hp XE is going to be a giant killer!
Coming from the F-Type world, you can't tell the difference between the 340 and 380HP versions of the V6. They are identical engines except for the ECU tune.

The power and torque curves are also almost identical until you get north of 5K rpm, which most people never see on the street. In the F-Type, the V6S is only a tenth of a second or so faster in terms of acceleration, which you can't feel in the seat of your pants. There is also no difference in terms of loudness of the exhaust note.

However, in the F-Type, there are other reasons for selecting the 380HP version (V6S). For example, it comes with a locking differential, and the 340HP version does not.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (10-06-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

I know...I've seen the dyno charts and driven many over the last couple of years but I feel the difference in the S over the base before 5k rpm. You can break the rear end with some ease in the S from a dead stop, we're the 340 hp just takes off.

I'll have to look at the tach more and,try to drive like an adult and see if I can tell a difference below.

I did drive a tuned 380 hp F Type S. It must have been an aggressive as Hell tune because it not only felt much stronger it sounded different (deeper).

I checked the exhaust and it was stock. There's a lot of power being held back on these engines. They explained why. On a 8 year cycle they have to have new and improved versions tof capture the repeat owners. If they released the V8's at 650 hp, the trainer asked what do we do for the next 7 years?

Makes sense.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by GGabriel
I know...I've seen the dyno charts and driven many over the last couple of years but I feel the difference in the S over the base before 5k rpm. You can break the rear end with some ease in the S from a dead stop, we're the 340 hp just takes off.

I'll have to look at the tach more and,try to drive like an adult and see if I can tell a difference below.

I did drive a tuned 380 hp F Type S. It must have been an aggressive as Hell tune because it not only felt much stronger it sounded different (deeper).

I checked the exhaust and it was stock. There's a lot of power being held back on these engines. They explained why. On a 8 year cycle they have to have new and improved versions tof capture the repeat owners. If they released the V8's at 650 hp, the trainer asked what do we do for the next 7 years?

Makes sense.
I think your perceptions have deceived you on several things, but perhaps it's because you've only done a few test drives in the F-Type.

1) You can break the rear end loose all day long in both the 340 and 380. The torque curves are identical at launch, and it's torque that causes tires to lose traction. The difference may have been as simple as the conditions on the day you drove each. For example, cooler pavement temperatures on high performance summer tires cause traction loss easily, whereas on hot pavement the same tires stick.

2) The 340 and 380 engine sounds are identical as is the engine (except for ECU tune), but there are different exhaust systems on F-Types. Base cars (340) in 14-15 came standard with an exhaust system with 2 straight pipes coming out of the cats into the muffler The V6S has always come standard with the "active exhaust system," which is the same as the base except the two pipes entering the muffler are split into 4, and 2 of those 4 pipes have valves that open and close with either a switch or when the throttle is opened wide enough. However, the active exhaust system was always optional on the base car and is now std on most base '16 models. It sounds like you drove the 380 with active exhaust and the 340 without. A 340 car with active exhaust sounds exactly the same as the 380 with active exhaust. All the active exhaust does is create the deeper sound tone you heard. It makes no difference in terms of power, as the exits out of mufflers of both systems are identical.

3) Both base and active exhaust systems are not restrictive behind the exhaust manifold. The restriction is at the exhaust manifold, and those are the same in both 340 and 380 cars. Cat-back aftermarket exhaust systems add no additional power on these cars, and the only way you can make it flow better is if someone builds a set of headers that fit. Those are not currently available, but there are people working on them. However, they may cause problems with emissions testing, as well as triggering CEL codes.

4) There may be room for more power in the V8, but likely not safe to do in the V6 for engine longevity reasons. Even the 340 V6 is making more HP per liter (113) than the V8R (110). Most technical experts maintain the V6S (380) is essentially safely maxed out at 127 HP per liter. The V8 would be making 635 HP with the same output per liter. Moreover, the V6 and V8 are exactly the same block externally, but obviously are machined differently internally.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-24-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I hate the look. I would use the XE money and get a pre-owned XJ Supercharged instead. You can call it "corporate brand language" or whatever. I call it "lazy design language". I prefer the corporate 'multi-lingual' days of the XJ8, S-Type, XK8 and even the X-Type -- each one different yet unmistakably Jaguar.

XJ8JR (10-05-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

I like it enough that I have pulled the trigger on one for my wife - IRR 25T petrol, panoramic roof, 19" Vulcans, leather interior, plenty of options including heads up display, infa red windscreen which I wouldn't have necessarily wanted but which might be interesting. Should arrive by the end of November.

I am officially in the good books.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I like it enough that I have pulled the trigger on one for my wife - IRR 25T petrol, panoramic roof, 19" Vulcans, leather interior, plenty of options including heads up display, infa red windscreen which I wouldn't have necessarily wanted but which might be interesting. Should arrive by the end of November.

I am officially in the good books.
Hi virtually ordered the same spec in early Sept. Advised delivery Dec, then Jan now Feb! Heard that JLR are having trouble getting the Ford petrol engines. Appears they have underestimated the take up of petrol engines.
When did you order or expect delivery dates?
Robert

Old 10-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Ahhh, I had been waiting for a basic IRR black pack with 19" Venoms and leather to come in to the local dealership in December, but then it seemed as though it wasn't going to happen. So I called around on Thursday and Friday last week, there are a few dealers with IRR 25T R Sports either in stock on arriving, but they all have plenty of options. There is one at the Sunshine Coast which looks good but no good for us because it has the fabric seats in red and black (cue Sharpei look from wife).

This one was in NSW, arriving in late November. Doesn't have the meridian sound though...

Fair2 (10-26-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Fair 2 - what's the story with the Skoda chrome exhaust tips? The stock tips look a little meh to me, do these other ones fit and where do you get them?

Old 10-27-2015, 05:38 PM

Fair 2 - what's the story with the Skoda chrome exhaust tips? The stock tips look a little meh to me, do these other ones fit and where do you get them?
Hi Bruce, yes they fit. I found the idea from another forum " xe forums.co.uk"
Have a quick look there. I found them on fleebay at a EU site much cheaper than Australia. They are for a Skoda Yeti Chrome Twin Exhaust Tips.
Robert

Attached Thumbnails Anybody else don't like the idea of the XE?-image.jpeg  
BruceTheQuail (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Hey did you drive the 25T? I haven't yet, I've driven the 20T which was brilliant, in fact even though this car is for my wife I think the XE drives so nicely that I'll be pinching it at every opportunity. But I'm interested in hearing views about the 177KW version.

Just ordered the chrome tips, and I reckon I'll be visiting the auto shop to put some wrap on the side skirt and maybe the front chrome blades, coz this one doesn't have the black pack.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:44 PM

Hey did you drive the 25T? I haven't yet, I've driven the 20T which was brilliant, in fact even though this car is for my wife I think the XE drives so nicely that I'll be pinching it at every opportunity. But I'm interested in hearing views about the 177KW version.

Just ordered the chrome tips, and I reckon I'll be visiting the auto shop to put some wrap on the side skirt and maybe the front chrome blades, coz this one doesn't have the black pack.
Hi,
I think this should now be under a new item" those who like the XE" .
Anyway yes drove the 177kw. Could not really test out the power. I think it comes at the top end. However it went like a scalded cat! That is why I ordered it. Similarly it is for my wife. She loved the IRR- her choice ,but wanted the chrome trim. I have a friend who is a car journalist for News Corp and after testing he thought the R-Sport was the better choice for Australia as the 4 cylinder was lighter in the front than the V6 and handled better. So as my wife will be doing a lot of the driving locally , the compromise was the 25t.
Also made up the "R-Sport" badge for the front in the same position as S badge.
Robert

BruceTheQuail (10-28-2015)