RWD
38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

AWD or RWD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD or RWD?

Hi all, I'm about to be a new jag owner of a 2017 r sport. I'm currently looking at two pretty evenly matched cars. I'm having a little trouble deciding and wanted to get some opinions.

First:
  • RWD
  • Ammonite Gray (black wheels)
  • black and white interior (which I prefer)
  • 20k miles
  • $33k
  • local
Second:
  • AWD
  • White with black wheels (which I slightly prefer over the Gray)
  • black and red interior
  • 28k miles
  • $32k
  • not local, but with carmax so transferring is simple

We don't get much snow in Virginia and if we do, I have a 4x4 truck. But, we do get a decent amount of rain. However, there will be times I want to push the car and the idea of rear wheel spin in the RWD is appealing. However, if rear wheel spin is easily accomplished in the AWD, then that's probably the way to go (i've not been able to test drive this model). But if breaking traction isn't very easily accomplished in AWD, I'll go RWD.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2020, 07:15 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 784 Posts

Weighing in with nothing you don’t already know...

As you know, each provides a unique manner in which the car drives, and how you drive it.
It really is a subjective and personal choice.

If you have a long history of driving FWD (front) you may find AWD more intuitive.
Undoubtedly, the maintenance costs are slightly higher with AWD.

Many have suggested that traction and road handling are unequalled with AWD. Partially true. But if you’re not running the right rubber, what does it matter. Also, AWD is forgiving where as RWD may not be.

I like driving. I like driving hard. I drive in all weather, seasons and conditions. And as I’ve stated before, many an AWD WRX can’t get away from me in the wet or snow with my rear wheel drive xkr with the right rubber on.
This being said, when headed to the back 40, the AWD of my LR is welcomed.

Which way are you leaning...

Old 03-05-2020, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by guy

Which way are you leaning...
Man I keep going back and forth. The practicality side of me says go AWD. The young teenager in me says go RWD. I like the white of the AWD more, but the interior of the RWD more.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:29 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 784 Posts

Live a little, change it up, you already have a 4 X 4 ;-)

Get reacquainted with rear wheel drive and make you dad proud:-)

On a personal note, I’m never losing the good side of that teenager side.

Last edited by guy; 03-05-2020 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jagged Wire (05-19-2021)
Old 03-05-2020, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

The RWD cars are rarer FWIW and would be my first pick. Unfortunately, the Jag dealers in my locale do not stock rear drive cars if AWD is available. I really don't think it matter much, but if you had a clean slate to pick what you want.

The first one sounds like a better deal. You'll have money left over for other stuff you many want to do with the car.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,294 Likes on 892 Posts

I havent driven AWD in the XE but we have had 2 RWD XEs and I have a RWD F Type and have driven a few AWD F Types (just establishing the basis for my wild guesses).

The RWD XE is perfectly balanced and the steering is just beautiful. It would be up there with the best steering cars I have driven, if not the best. I would be concerned that (as it does in the F Type) the weight of the AWD interferes with that. It wont make it understeery but you can feel it. So my preference would be the RWD.
I dont think you are going to get much wheel spin in either except in the wet.

The following 3 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
guy (03-06-2020), Jagged Wire (05-31-2021), mosesbotbol (03-06-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

I hit the XE Forum by mistake but Option 1 (RWD) definitely.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

If I didn't live in a zone where AWD is necessary (and if my other set of wheels weren't RWD already), I'd have totally gone RWD. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2020, 10:21 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Right from the website: https://www.jaguarusa.com/about-jagu...ive-range.html
Like the XJ system, AWD is fully variable, but the XE is 90% RWD in normal conditions and uses Intelligent Driveline Dynamics (IDD) to vary the torque between both axles constantly.
This means I kill two birds with one stone if I have AWD .

thecavemankevin (03-08-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 11:36 AM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I would go for the first option.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:46 PM

I just wanted to let yall know I'm still debating but the wife's pathfinder is having the start of some trans troubles and I think we're going to get rid of it. Now I just need to find a suitable 7 seat SUV that isn't a Nissan. Shame the Jag isn't 3 row...

Old 03-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by thecavemankevin
Shame the Jag isn't 3 row...
Go for a Land Rover product then. There must be a couple that are 3 row.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Just buying my XE and I narrowed my search to two cars available here in Serbia - one is AWD and other is RWD (and much better equipped) for the same price and similar millage (both 20d R-Sport, 2017 vs. 2016, white color).
So, I'm in the same doubt as original poster.

Initially, I really wanted AWD (at all costs, as I never drove AWD), but now I'm reading some old thread (and one even older) and the most of users saying that feel in RWD is much better, that it drives better etc. Really?
In my case, RWD is much more reasonable purchase, simply it offers more in all segments (for the same money). But is it worth to go for AWD when we saying about usability, because, here in Serbia there is 2-3 months of snow, but no too much hills/mountains where I live? Will I be able to fight snow roads with RWD and good tires?

Also, is it really true that AWD has 52.7/47.3 weight distribution (comparing to ideal 50/50 for RWD)? I'm asking for 20d, specifically...

Old 05-07-2021, 08:16 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I drive an AWD XE. I do not have a RWD model for comparison, but I love the way my AWD XE handles. And I feel much more secure on snow and wet roads than I would with RWD, given similar tires for each.

stojan.jovic (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 09:21 AM
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

AWD is fine, but maintenance costs will likely be higher. (More driving wheels = more wearing parts). That said, today's automotive technology may have reduced the wear factor substantially. Fuel mileage is usually reduced by AWD (more power used distributed to four driving wheels to push/pull the machine uses more fuel). Unless there is constant snow or slippery road conditions, AWD may just be a "feel good" measure. Many swear by the added traction on the road under high-performance driving conditions. Others prefer the driving dynamics of RWD. Personally, I like RWD because I'm accustomed to the way it handles and like a car that can be less expensive to repair.

It is likely going to be a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by captainobvious1; 05-08-2021 at 09:32 AM.
stojan.jovic (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 11:49 AM

Thank you very much, guys.
Maintenance cost is pretty important to me, I'm wondering is it significantly higher for AWD?
In any case, I know that I need to make decision myself, but main problem here is that I didn't get chance to really drive and test neither one of these two cars, because both of them are imported cars without registration plates. There is procedure to get temporary plates, but that's not so easy and cheap here in Serbia to take it just for one real drive (on the road), so I will probably make my choice based on the subjective feeling which one offers more for the same money (mainly by looking at equipment, car body and engine condition etc.).

Old 05-08-2021, 12:16 PM
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by stojan.jovic
Thank you very much, guys.
Maintenance cost is pretty important to me, I'm wondering is it significantly higher for AWD?
In any case, I know that I need to make decision myself, but main problem here is that I didn't get chance to really drive and test neither one of these two cars, because both of them are imported cars without registration plates. There is procedure to get temporary plates, but that's not so easy and cheap here in Serbia to take it just for one real drive (on the road), so I will probably make my choice based on the subjective feeling which one offers more for the same money (mainly by looking at equipment, car body and engine condition etc.).
If you are concerned about maintenance, RWD is the way to go. I'm sorry, but the unidirectional powertrain is going to require less maintenance. This is just my humble opinion. You can take it for what it's worth.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:16 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My mileage is very low (20,000 miles in 4+ years), so that may be why I have had no maintenance costs at all (other than replacement of damaged tires and bent rims due to hitting potholes at high speed with low-profile tires). So no AWD- related expenses.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:03 AM

Thanks very much for your opinions! Will try to manage some test drive for both and then decide, but first to check service history, condition, etc.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

My XE Portfolio is AWD which I had no choice on as it was a really nice low mileage 20 month old car at half the price of a new one ! So far, there has been nothing occur at all related to the AWD or anything else for that matter, but fuel consumption is higher than one would get on the RWD cars but not much higher, the saving for RWD would be minimal. The transfer box is interesting, as it uses a wide Morse chain to drive the front propshaft. My driving style is such that I don't think the front wheels get driven all that often; OK, I'm now an Old F*rt who drives slowly and carefully and avoids winter driving in it. I don't like to drive the car in winter because of all the salt on the roads, and the perversity and stupidity of other motorists who seem to put a value of 'Nil' on their own cars !

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...zRhbHR3cVFkMTA

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Panthro (06-04-2024), stojan.jovic (05-09-2021)

Quick Reply: AWD or RWD?