XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Buying used 2017 XE - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017 | 03:09 PM
|
Default Buying used 2017 XE - a few questions

Hi,

It looks like I struck a deal to buy a used 2017 35t AWD. It has 1,700 miles on it and almost all options. Vision, Technology, comfort and convenience, etc. I'm buying it from an independent dealer, not a jaguar dealer and it doesn't seem like he knows very much about how the technology works. I've got a few questions, hopefully someone here can help.

1) Do I need to do anything special to get the incontrol app to work (remote start, etc.) with my phone? Or do I just download the app on my phone and then follow some instructions on the ICTP to connect it? Not sure if it was tied to the previous owner's phone and, therefore, I need to notify Jaguar, etc.

2) Was a sim card included on the 2017 models? Not sure if there will be one in the car or not. Does the live navigation need the sim card to work?

3) Is the wifi hotspot included with the 2017 technology package? I thought so when I was researching the car but obviously only the 2018 information is now available on the Jaguar website so not sure.

I'm in the USA, FYI.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Old 10-31-2017 | 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

1 = yes
2 = no
3 = not sure

Old 10-31-2017 | 02:05 PM
|

Moses,

For #1, is that yes, I need to do something special to get the car to sync with my phone or yes, just download the app and shouldn't be an issue? Thanks.

Old 10-31-2017 | 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Byrus
Moses,

For #1, is that yes, I need to do something special to get the car to sync with my phone or yes, just download the app and shouldn't be an issue? Thanks.
It should be download the app and that's it. Your car is under warranty, so go to your local dealer if there is issues.

Old 10-31-2017 | 09:26 PM
|

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2017 | 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Be very careful buying "a used 2017 35t AWD. It has 1,700 miles on it" from " an independent dealer". The only way they get such car is from an auction. This means that dealer decided it wasn't worthwhile to sell it when they got it back. This usually points to problem.

If it is flooded car, was in accident and written off, was lemon and so on... it won't show up on reports for couple months. This gives enough time to auction, do title laundering and sell it on unsuspected driver.

Ask for title history. If you see registration in multiple states you should be suspicious of title laundering.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/0...e-washed-cars/

The following users liked this post:
Austin7 (11-03-2017)
Old 11-01-2017 | 08:42 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>Be very careful buying "a used 2017 35t AWD. It has 1,700 miles on it" from " an independent dealer"

I agree!!!

The only way to obtain a modern Jaguar, used, is CPO from a dealer. These cars are so complex and expensive that you want the protection of a factory warranty, at least until you are ensured that the car has no systemic problems.

Then, when you're able to find a good non-dealer repair shop, you can "self-warranty" it.

Don't, under any circumstances try to go cheap on a Jaguar, only tears will result...

================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 11-03-2017 | 07:46 AM

I THIRD that opinion.

It's hard enough to find an AUTHORIZED dealer mechanic who is "fully" competent with these new Jaguars (...no joke, the systems and modules and links inside these XEs, XFs, etc would BLOW your mind with astonishment)... that you definitely don't want to trust a non-Jag dealership or 3rd party trusty mechanic friend to tell you the car is in fine condition.

I'm not sure if there will ever be a time again, when Jaguars can be snagged up on a great deal, 2nd-hand. What "can be wrong with the car" has changed so much from the days of the chrome bumpers and hood-mounted leapers.

Old 11-03-2017 | 08:13 AM

Great article SinF!

Remember, hurricane Harvey flooded Houston like crazy, and Irma did the same in a few spots in Florida. Buyer beware.

Drone Footage Reveals Staggering Amount of Flooded Cars Destroyed by Hurricane Harvey - The Drive

Last edited by Austin7; 11-03-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2017 | 09:23 PM

And Florida does a poor job with dirty titles; many shady sellers bring damaged cars to Florida to sneak through with a clean title.

Old 12-06-2017 | 10:14 AM
|

Hey guys,

Thought I would give you an update. I had already committed to buy the car prior to the posts about washing titles, etc. I had done a fair bit of research on the dealer and the car prior to making the commitment but to be honest this wasn't even an issue I was aware of. This particular dealer acquires specific cars from around the Northeast and then sells/ships them nationwide. I spoke to a number of people that bought from him and they all spoke very highly of him. I also had a mechanic look at the car and he said it was in great shape. He also said this particular dealer is well regarded in the area. I was also able to confirm with Jaguar that the car was still under the balance of the original 5 year warranty.

The story behind the car was that the original buyer bought it for his wife but she wanted a Merc so he traded it in for the car she actually wanted. I was able to confirm from the title that the original buyer had it for just 2 weeks and put less than 200 miles on it during that time. It was then sold to a Mercedes dealership which then sold it the dealer I bought it from. The dealer was using it during the time he had it and put about another 1,500 miles on it (he loved the car). I think the odds are low that the car had a catastrophic incident and was repaired - all within 2 weeks.

Anyway, the seller shipped it on an enclosed 18 wheeler to Chicago and it really was in pristine condition. I've had it for a little over a month now and just loving it. Everything seems to work great, knock on wood (other than Live which stopped working on Friday - but others on here and other forums have been saying it stopped working for them the same day too).

Finally, I definetely didn't get it for rock bottom. I paid what others on here said should be an appropriate price. The dealers in Chicago just didn't seem to be willing to negotiate hardly at all - even for used Jaguars (loaners, etc.).

Old 12-09-2017 | 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

From a UK person who had a friend with an E-type in the late 60s/early70s, I welcome you to the Jaguar club. Hope you stick with Jaguar in the future; why should the Germans get all your hard-earned dollars !!

Old 12-11-2017 | 07:49 AM

I think it is great that you were able to confirm the history of your new Jag....sounds solid. Please enjoy the heck out of that Jag! It's really nice you have the prepaid service intervals left as well! This is one of the perks of having a young cat.

Last edited by Austin7; 12-11-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2017 | 07:59 AM
|

Originally Posted by Austin7
I think it is great that you were able to confirm the history of your new Jag....sounds solid. Please enjoy the heck out of that Jag! It's really nice you have the prepaid service intervals left as well! This is one of the perks of having a young cat.
Agreed! Thanks!