XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Buying an XE S 3.0 v6 possibly

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an XE S 3.0 v6 possibly

Hi, I'm looking into the possibility of buying a used XE S 3.0v6 and was hoping to find out a bit more on what to look out for.
If anyone knows for a decent guide to buying one or what things to look for, what weak points mechanically they have etc it would be appreciated massively.
I've owned a few jags and always liked the look of the XE. Beautiful car!

Old 06-19-2024, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by 666jag
Hi, I'm looking into the possibility of buying a used XE S 3.0v6 and was hoping to find out a bit more on what to look out for.
If anyone knows for a decent guide to buying one or what things to look for, what weak points mechanically they have etc it would be appreciated massively.
I've owned a few jags and always liked the look of the XE. Beautiful car!
when I went to drive my 2018 XE S AWD at CarMax, it was leaking coolant out the front of the engine and the coolant reservoir was low. They had to fix it before I bought it and did. Coolant pipes on all V6’s are an issue!

The following users liked this post:
Mazen Ajouz (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the reply, was that the hoses from the header tank?

Old 06-19-2024, 09:48 AM
Received 278 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for the reply, was that the hoses from the header tank?
Do some searching on coolant pipes, there's two plastic pipes that are poorly made and were changed to a new part in about 2018 or so. There's a few stories of them exploding out of nowhere resulting in blown donks, but I think these cases are relatively rare. I have an XES with 119,000km and the old pipes and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous every time I took it for a spin! New pipes going in soon (I've been saying that for six months 😂 )

This isn't an XE problem or even a Jag problem... I blew a plastic coolant pipe on my VW Caddy a few months ago and dumped the coolant on my lawn (lucky it wasn't the freeway).

Last edited by dangoesfast; 06-19-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:11 AM

I've had a quick look and see there's an aluminium coolant kit available, is this the hoses in question?
I know in my S type R the coolant hose under the supercharger was prone to go...
Is this the same with the XE S ? As that was a big job to remove the supercharger and change that hose?
I'm not familiar with the V6 so any details or info is great, thanks fellers

Old 06-19-2024, 11:03 AM

I've had a quick look and see there's an aluminium coolant kit available, is this the hoses in question?
I know in my S type R the coolant hose under the supercharger was prone to go...
Is this the same with the XE S ? As that was a big job to remove the supercharger and change that hose?
I'm not familiar with the V6 so any details or info is great, thanks fellers
Same idea, there's two plastic pipes (one under the s/c) that are prone to go. There's a thread called "Aluminium coolant pipe - finally" where the guys are talking about replacing that pipe without pulling the blower, although there's other little jobs you can do at the same time that'd make it worth pulling the whole thing. I'm wrestling with that decision myself, at the moment.

Apart from dicky plastic cooling parts and maybe the supercharger coupling, I don't really know anything that's known to fail on the XES. It's a car though, something's gonna break at some stage 😂

Old 06-19-2024, 11:24 AM

Pulling the blower to get at 2 pipes!! Argh it's the stype R all over again lol
I'll have a look at that thread, thanks bud.

But as you say if the timings right can do a few things at the same time.
I just remembered the quote I got for changing the hose under the s type R blower!!

Old 06-19-2024, 11:37 AM

Pulling the blower to get at 2 pipes!! Argh it's the stype R all over again lol
I'll have a look at that thread, thanks bud.

But as you say if the timings right can do a few things at the same time.
I just remembered the quote I got for changing the hose under the s type R blower!!
Haha I know right 😣 i paid $600ish* for the upgrade kit and was quoted $1900* for installation by my very reasonable indy..

*aussie dollarydoos

Old 06-19-2024, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

There has been a concern about the quality of kits from EURO AMP…. I have had discussions with a company in UK that get their own aluminum pipes. All these pipes are Chinese made. He had his own made from China and installs them in his shop in UK. Never an Issue as he has warranty the work and fix ang Issues. The company is called Wraptor. Google them. I just bought a new v8 supercharger off him and he shipped it and kept great communication all the way during the process from UK. Great experience and friendly guy - communication is key to a great experience I think!!

Old 06-19-2024, 03:49 PM

I just had a look at that wraptor coolant pipe, looks a good bot of kit, so is that the one that requires the blower removal?

Are there also other weak coolant pipes ?

Old 06-19-2024, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lothar52
There has been a concern about the quality of kits from EURO AMP…. I have had discussions with a company in UK that get their own aluminum pipes. All these pipes are Chinese made. He had his own made from China and installs them in his shop in UK. Never an Issue as he has warranty the work and fix ang Issues. The company is called Wraptor. Google them. I just bought a new v8 supercharger off him and he shipped it and kept great communication all the way during the process from UK. Great experience and friendly guy - communication is key to a great experience I think!!
AFAIK Euroamp have replaced any failed items, at least the ones that were posted about here. Their warranty won't pay for labour though, so having the pipes installed by the same company that supplied them to get an all-encompassing warranty isa big bonus!

Old 06-19-2024, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 435 Likes on 319 Posts

i have 2000 miles on my metal pipes same engine in the video, car will run forever after the update

666jag (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 03:50 AM

So the metal pipes definitely a good thing to get to changing, great to know. Thanks fellas.

So I think I'm going to pull the trigger soon on the XE S , I've found one im going to look at tomorrow , it has a few more miles than I ideally wanted but looks a well maintained car in very good condition. Its always been serviced and maintained by Jag themselves.
I'm trying to find out at what age and mileage major services happen in the XE S and what parts and jobs need doing?
I.e transmission fluid change, all spark plugs changing etc etc
If anyone can point me in the right direction or link me to a proper schedule I'd be grateful, having trouble finding a detailed schedule

Many thanks in advance

Old 06-25-2024, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by dennis black
i have 2000 miles on my metal pipes same engine in the video, car will run forever after the update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sm3trlw-qI&t=8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdOWVotJfOY&t=57s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv35yzXCuPw&t=354s
Great videos Dennis , Ty for sharing

Old 06-25-2024, 06:05 PM

So the metal pipes definitely a good thing to get to changing, great to know. Thanks fellas.

So I think I'm going to pull the trigger soon on the XE S , I've found one im going to look at tomorrow , it has a few more miles than I ideally wanted but looks a well maintained car in very good condition. Its always been serviced and maintained by Jag themselves.
I'm trying to find out at what age and mileage major services happen in the XE S and what parts and jobs need doing?
I.e transmission fluid change, all spark plugs changing etc etc
If anyone can point me in the right direction or link me to a proper schedule I'd be grateful, having trouble finding a detailed schedule

Many thanks in advance
My advice is to take your time, and don't jump the gun by buying a vehicle that doesn't quite match what you want. It took me almost two years to find my XE-S as they are very uncommon in Australia... at the time there were only four or five for sale at any one time, most of them in lower spec than I wanted. I waited and waited and waited and boom along came the perfect car, the only things it was missing were Android Auto (which I retrofitted), telematics (which only affect SOTA updates and don't really matter), and traffic sign recognition (which I can live without). Oh and a heated steering wheel but it's never cold enough here to need that.

Have it inspected by a respected Jaguar workshop and have them give you a PPI report. Any major issues, either negotiate with the seller or walk away. I had the dealer truck my car to a very helpful Jaguar dealer who basically did the "Certified Pre-Owned" inspection that they do to decide whether the car can be a CPO car, then it was trucked to an independent workshop for a second PPI that came with a warranty ("if anything goes wrong within 12 months that we didn't identify on the inspection, we pay for the repairs"). It passed both with flying colours, only then did I hop on a plane to go and meet her myself

It's hard I know, but try to remove emotion from the purchase and buy logically. This is why I had mine inspected twice before I saw it in person... much easier to walk away from a car if you haven't already fallen in love with it!

666jag (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 01:54 AM

Thank you for replying 👍