XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Carwow woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 05:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Carwow woes

I was so I thought getting closer to buying an XE. I'd struggled to get hold of a garage because of the new plates weekend and the snow but I've spoken to them today.

It turns out that the factory order tab of carwow is a scam. The dealer told me they had put a disclaimer in the offer "Please note that the saving of 15% only applies to vehicles immediately available in stock." which basically means that them putting an offer in as a factory order is an outright lie and they are looking to give you that level of discount for a car they have in stock. They had nothing in stock even close to what I wanted.

I phoned Carwow to speak to them about it to see if they would help. They know about it and they happily allow it if the dealer has stock of new cars they can sell from. So they're working in collusion with dealers doing this. They also told me that the offers you get on carwow aren't specific offers, they're set up by the dealer to give specific discounts.

So basically the whole thing is a scam designed to get me talking to dealers for offers that don't exist.

I'm now waiting on a couple of dealers calling me back but it's looking very like I'll just walk away from it all in disgust and not buy a new car.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Oh well, it did not cost you anything.

If you are buying a new car, check nationally for the exact one you want and buy it there. Your local Jaguar dealer is not going to treat you any different because your bought you car across the street or across the country.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:34 AM

Well I said no to a decent 2nd hand because of the price I thought I was being offered and I've lost a great deal of time and energy looking.

At this point I'm so disappointed I think I'm going to give up. I really felt for a while that I was going to be able to afford the car of my dreams and it was all based on lies.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Try drive the deal instead, much better than carwow.

https://www.drivethedeal.com/

The dealer I got my car from beat the figure shown by drive the deal too. 20% discount I’ve seen offered by some dealers too.

I managed 27% discount, but that’s not available to the general public.

Last edited by Ian D; 03-05-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:13 PM

I happened to be passing the Glasgow jag dealership earlier this afternoon so I stopped in. The plan had always been to get down to a price on exactly what I wanted and then go there to buy it. However I thought I'd have a look see.

They actually were good to deal with and the price has come down more than what I've been offered elsewhere - excluding the offer that wasn't actually a real offer - and I'll go back on Wednesday to test drive a petrol model and buy it. They've adjusted the finance to virtually interest free with a massive deposit so I can avoid paying interest but still get the £2,220 off.

I think I'm getting a decent price now, and I'm happier buying from these guys - my Dad has bought every car for the last 50 years from them apart from his last.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

The financing between the US and UK are worlds apart. So much easier to finance in the States.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:58 AM

So a place down south came back to me today. I explained that Glasgow which is my local place is coming in a little cheaper and they said they're not going to compete - all they'd be doing is selling me the car and they'd get no more business from me and the price has been cut down so much there's no more profit in it. So I thanked them and I'll buy from Glasgow now. It does tell me though that I am getting a decent price.

Leicester were the place that did the what I felt was dishonest carwow price. Since then they've emailed me to apologise, and told me they'd contact carwow and offered me 11% off list and said that's in line with what I'd find elsewhere. The offers on carwow have indeed been adjusted. I have to take them at their word and that they didn't realise carwow were presenting it as a factory order. I'll never really know but to be fair to them I can't really fault their response, other than their apology would have held much more water if they'd actually offered a discount a bit deeper to represent a genuine apology - the 11% still is a profitable sale for them.

So if anyone is wondering I think getting between 11 and 12% off UK list price on top of any incentives jaguar are offering (which is a further £2,220 for me) is as deep as it'll go unless you do better than I did.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up getting 21% discount on Carwow off my 25t Portfolio XE.
Had my local dealer admit that they couldn’t match it so ended up going to the next closest, which at 23 mikes away was not too bad.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:07 PM

The discount %age I'm giving doesn't include Jaguar's £2,220 finance contribution.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:32 PM

The %age discount for me went down the more extras I added... the issue is that the Jaguar discount is a flat £2,220 and the dealer discount is in addition so the discount percentage is 18 or 19% but when I added extras it went down.

Several places told me a factory order car they can't discount as much as one they already have.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gsus
Several places told me a factory order car they can't discount as much as one they already have.
That's true with any car. Cars on the lot are costing them daily to hold, so they are anxious to move them.