XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Clicking Noise from Driver's Side

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 05:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Clicking Noise from Driver's Side

I have been getting a ticking sound from the driver's side. (2017 XE 35t Prestige) You can barely hear it from the passenger seat. I can't pinpoint it but it definitely is somewhere in front of the driver. It seems to be more noticeable in hot weather (90-100F) but does not do it until the car has been driven 5-10 miles. That makes me think it has something to do with air conditioning, since that has kicked in by then. It is not speed related or engine speed related. It is vibration related as it doesn't happen when stopped. It doesn't take much of a bump, perhaps just a flexing of the chassis but I think a bump is necessary. It doesn't go away with A/C off or radio off. I found one similar complaint by searching but it was engine speed related (a ground strap issue). This is a sound like a speaker click that happens every second or so but in a random, not a regular, pattern.
I have a video where you can hear it but I cannot seem to attach it. I can upload it but nothing shows and when I click manage attachments, it wants to upload it again. (Could it be too large a file? It's 19 seconds.) I brought it in to my Jaguar service rep and it did not make the noise but it did on the way home, which is when I made the video. I took it in again and he heard it on the phone but they made no progress locating it. Wanted to pull off pieces in the steering column area and drive it until they eliminated the sound. I did not have time to leave it so right now it's clicking away and I have to go on a trip in 3 days.
Any ideas?

Old 08-05-2019, 06:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went to get rid of the knock in the driver's door and on the top of that the shop pinpointed the same click/tick as you described which I never heard before. Well, 2 weeks later despite they were so happy to hand back the keys to me saying the issue is solved, the knocking and ticking came back an hour later after I drove off. They also told me it was coming from under the dashboard by the steering wheel. Moreover, I see the traces of damaged plastic by incompetent mechanic right underneath the steering wheel, so they tried to do something in this area.

Also, check the moonroof if a ticking is coming from there. I needed to pop up a roof a bit to get rid the ticking, but for now it's gone by itself. I think it's a temperature related fix, as soon as it will be colder the ticking might come back.

Last edited by EngshMan; 08-05-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:16 PM
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a clicking on my 2015 M4 but it sped up as the car did. Turned out to be a large bolt imbedded the tire. You said yours was not speed dependent so don’t think that’s your problem.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar annoying, vibration related noise from driver side dashboard. The root cause was under bonnet - there is an actuator, which vibrates. I just added tape under metal and noise disappeared. See picture.

Markku

The following users liked this post:
AZBob (08-15-2019)