XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Confused newbie to new Jaguars...differences between XF,XJ and XE

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts
Default Confused newbie to new Jaguars...differences between XF,XJ and XE

Hi guys

I'm an XJS owner but have been interested in Jaguar's new line up (thanks to advertising!) however I am quite confused.

Taking a first glance at an XF,XJ and XE they look very similar.

My studies have been with pre-2000 Jaguars and anything after I know very little about.

Can somebody please provide me a link or similar that outlines the differences between the 3? I did find one on XF vs XJ but nothing on the XE.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Bloody Jaguar advertising keeps popping up a red XE in my facebook feed and now I want once lol!

Old 06-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,294 Likes on 892 Posts

Gooday Paul. Here is the link to the Oz Jag website which has links to each car. But basically the XE is about 3 series size, the XF is about 5 series size, and the XJ is about 7 series size. http://www.jaguar.com.au/index.html
Putting it in more practical terms, carting teenagers in an XJ is the least painful because they have more room, and more kit in the back to stop them from bickering. I'd think one could drive for an hour easily before wondering why they ever had kids ("the remorse quotient").
Carting teenagers in the XF is moderately painful, the irritation factor is quite high, though their knees wont be hitting the back of the driver's seat which is a slight bonus. I had 2 XFs and would assess the remorse quotient at about half an hour.
Carting teenagers in the XE is likely to be quite painful with an extreme irritation factor. There isn't a lot of legroom in the back so there will be squabbles over who gets to sit behind the passenger seat, then the (likely) absence of vents in the rear will lead to more squabbles over who has their window down. I think in the case of the XE the remorse quotient would be minus 5, meaning that you'd be regretting having kids 5 minutes before the journey started and in anticipation of what was to come.

That said, I've now reached the stage where the kids are infrequent passengers (late teens) so I think the XE will be ideal as the missus' car. I'm keeping the XKR.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 06:33 PM

Nice Bruce, thanks for summing that up. That actually make alot of sense! Cheers

I know exactly what you mean in regards to leg room at the back. My XJS has two seats in the back that really are only "token" seats.

My young kids sit in the back and at this stage don't mind, but I tried to sit two adults in there.....only once. Wow its like they had to leave their legs at home lol!

My current car is definitely best enjoyed with a max of two adults!

Thanks again for answering my question

Old 06-23-2015, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

No problem at all. Of course, for young kids take 40% off the remorse quotient (shorter legs and you aren't sick of them yet so you can tolerate more). But add 10% for 3 kids instead of 2, and another 20% if you live in an area with windy roads.

With you on the token back seat, the XKR is the same.

paulyling (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 08:22 PM

Is it true also that all new models have done away with wood grain paneling on the dash etc?

That makes me sad.....

I hope it see's a revival in the near future.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Paulyling, I think I can put some light on this issue as I just went through what you are pondering. I even got to see the XE and am currently an owner of an XJ.

From a styling point, you will see that they are very similar to each other. Suttle things are different. But, for the most part, they are going to be very close in looks.

Now for where things differ. The XE is going to be your mid-size 4 door sedan. Enough room for 5, but the 3 in the back are going to be packed in there pretty good. The XJ is your full size sedan with all the room you can expect from a car. Lots of room to put 3 people across in the back and ride comfortably. The XF is going to be half way between the two. More room than the XE, but not quite the room of the XJ.

The biggest difference is going to be in the interior. the XJ has all the bells and whistles that you could want plus some more. 20 way power seats, full leather interior, real wood tossed here and there. I think you get the picture. Where the XE is going to be on the "cheaper" side. A lot of the dash panels are going to be a plastic piece with some small bits of leather put here and there. Keep in mind that the XE is meant to be a "stepper vehicle" to take someone from say a higher end chevy/Ford/Dodge and get them looking at Jaguar so in the future they will want to get their hands on an XJ. The XF is going to be more in line with the XJ than it will be to the XE, but the XF is going to lack a few of the nicities that that the XJ has.

Where the biggest difference is going to be is in the price. Jaguar is trying to get the XE in the $45K range for a moderately equipped vehicle. Where you get a moderately equipped XF and you are now in the $55-60K range. You start looking at the XJ's and you are pushing the $80K range. Now, this also assumes you are looking at new. I just picked up my 2012 XJ with 33K miles on it for $45K out the door ($42K plus $3K in tax, title, licensing). You could get a comparable XF for around $35K. Unfortunately, the XE is a brand new vehicle and you are not going to find any used ones around.

If you need to know more, let me know.

paulyling (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:34 PM

Thermo thanks a tonne for sharing that info. Most appreciated.

Between yourself and Bruce it makes a heck of a lot more sense now.

I think it would be awesome to own one of the three but my issue is, driving a V12 it would be hard to drop down to the standard straight 4 cylinder (closer to my price range). I checked the prices of the V6 variants and wow, the price really jumps.

Anyway, Cheers.

Last edited by paulyling; 06-23-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm in Oz as well and I'm looking at the 4 pot turbo in the sport trim for about $70K. I'd like the 6 but ultimately I don't need 2 performance cars and I don't want to spend $100K plus.

The alternative is a current model XF with a couple of years on it. I traded my 2012 XF Portfolio 5.0 for $80K when I took the XKR, so that'd be probably $60K now tops. That was a lot of car, quite beautiful to drive, and to look at.

paulyling (06-24-2015)