XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Difference between AWD and RWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 04:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Difference between AWD and RWD

I've got a 2017 XE 20d with AWD. Husband wants one too, but in British racing green. Finally located one a few states away but it is RWD. What is the difference in terms of handling? We live in MO if that helps. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-25-2018, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

So few have RWD model and I bet even fewer have put both through their paces. I wanted RWD, but dealer never stocks them in my locale.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

We have the RWD 25T and have driven the XE S (your 35T) several times in RWD, both on the track and on the street. Unfortunately I've never driven the AWD XE though I've driven both the AWD and the RWD F type (I drive the RWD). I've also driven the E Pace AWD with the 20d. So I suppose I can make some loosely informed guesses.

Personally, I far prefer the RWD to the AWD. The AWD just feels heavier at the front end and a tiny bit understeery to me especially on the track. The RWD nose is exactly where you want it, when you want it to be there, it is up there with the best handling car I've driven, especially good on twisty roads, and the harder that you push it the more grip you get. I'd only get AWD if you need it for snow.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (05-27-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As above RWD feels much nicer to drive 95% of the time.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:47 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I have the 2017 RWD 25T---AND mine is the British Racing Green. I have not been on the track, but been as near to track competition’s unpredictability as you can get---I’m driving on NYC expressways during commute hours.
Up until now, I’ve been in a FRONT wheel drive car for 20+ years, so I’ve tried to take RWD as a careful and serious learning experience.

RWD on a dry or wet summer road is smoother for your passengers than the Jaguar AWD. On local streets, and boulevard curves, you the driver are the only one who will be able to feel the shiftpoints in the RWD, while your passengers won’t usually be able to feel the gears shifting at all).
Travelling from traffic light to traffic light, there is a pleasant low growl you hear from the exhaust from time to time (presumably because the rear wheels have to “push” you into motion).

The curves on local roads are something you the driver may find more interesting than the AWD version---only because you “feel” more aware of the direct interaction with your steering wheel. It is truly odd to drive a car that steers as impulsively and cleanly as this car, and in the RWD you really get addicted to the steering.

Winter time driving is MANAGEABLE with a RWD Jaguar, but you still must be knowledgeable and comfortable with winter driving techniques. The electronics and gadgets in this car help a bit, but still don’t PREVENT you completely from slipping in slippery snow.

When the car was in the shop for maintenance, I was given the 2018 AWD version for two weeks. Firstly, just turning the ignition ON has a very different sound, more electronic-sounding before the engine actually ignites—then a bit louder on the growl before it settles down to its usual engine sound. The RWD starter has a more classic “exhaust pipe” sound to it before the engine ignites, and a less attention-getting growl once the engine fully ignites.

The AWD feels more “granular” during traffic light starts and stops. By that, I mean it isn’t as smooth in little motions, doesn’t growl as much at street corners (perhaps because 4 wheels don’t ask as much from the engine as two wheels do?). My passengers say they could slightly “feel” when the car changes gears, compared with the RWD (to some passengers that’s fun—other passengers prefer not feeling the shifting at all).

Once you exceed 40mph, both RWD and AWD handle the same (the AWD isn’t really doing much that’s different from RWD). It’s a Jaguar, so you really have to work hard to force the car to lose traction or slip in a swerve, etc. Acceleration feels identical, growling sounded neither louder nor quieter. I think any differences you feel, will be due to the driver’s personal techniques and habits, not the transmission itself.

….But,
As someone already hinted here, there is “something” about the AWD steering that doesn’t feel as seductive, doesn’t catch your driving attention as much as the RWD. Once you’ve driven the AWD for three months, I suspect you’d forget you’re holding an interesting steering wheel—it will likely become ordinary to use. After three months in a RWD, you’ll still be playing with the steering wheel and grinning. I can’t entirely explain why, but the RWD steering keeps reminding you of something FUN.

Will the AWD give THAT MUCH of an advantage in the snow and slick roads that it justifies having an AWD permanently? I say no, but I’ve spent my entire snow driving life in NON-AWD cars, so the confidence is higher and the reliance on the phrase “all wheel drive” is lower. If you’re guy is repeatedly going to be cutting through snow terrain, the AWD may be the safety net to have ready.

…But you’ve already encountered the hardest issue here: The 2018 AWD does NOT come in the Brit Green. And once you’ve seen the BRG under four different sky conditions, you’re in love. At present, I think I am the only Green Jaguar in the NY metro area. No joke, the color is extraordinarily rare in these US locales.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (06-04-2024)
Old 06-09-2018, 05:20 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I live in the Midwest and I've spent most of my life in V-8 rear drive cars. Had a few FWD cars,too. FWD isn't magic like the manufacturers would like you to believe.

With 4 winter tires,RWD is certainly manageable, even fun.

I see alot of people over-driving their SUV's. They can get going, but they are still bound by the laws of physics and soon find out that they can't stop.

It depends what you're used to,the climate you live in,and your comfort level in bad weather.

Just my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:32 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by m1keh
As above RWD feels much nicer to drive 95% of the time.
I agree.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RWD is nice as long as you put Four Winter Tires on, All Seasons won't cut it. Otherwise have fun slipping and sliding. I remember taking my Son to school a few years ago watching the rear drive BMW's, Benz's sliding backwards down a fairly steep hill.. I had an Infinity G37X no issues at all..