XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

DIY Oil Change on the XE (3.0)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 07:28 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DIY Oil Change on the XE (3.0)

In case you opt to do your own, some notes that might save you a beat:

Supplies:
0W-20 ---> 7-8 Quarts -- I used Penzoil platinum because, well... it wasn't terribly more expensive than STP and various posts swayed me with the 'why skimp on your oil' point of view. #marketing
Oil Filter: STP Extended Life Oil Filter S10992XL
I think in hindsight, I'd order a manual pump, however here's the pump I used: WAMTHUS Oil Change Pump Extractor, 12V 60W Motor Oil Diesel Fluid Transfer Pump
Amazon Amazon

There are several videos online (mainly XF's) where they remove the undercarriage shield or whatever to change the oil to get to the oil pan plug... highly unnecessary -- It's really simple to plug the pump into the 'straw' right inside the oil cap and it it gets everything out just fine. Here's where the hose plugs:

Protip: Secure the outflow hose with a clamp or risk painting the surrounding area/walls black like I did. OMG. what. a. mess. Truly amazing how much oil went everywhere in the 2 seconds before I got the pump turned off. Secured the clamp and used several expletives while cleaning up the mess.

Here's a picture of the pump I bought attached to the positive battery terminal under the hood and the hoses coming from the oil cap and eventually into the bucket. I didn't expect this little pump to be so powerful... next time I'll have hoses MUCH more secured.

If you've got a medium-large oil filter tool, the filter is fairly easy to remove (that's it left of the yellow pump in the picture above.). Filter inside pops right out & the gasket takes just a few seconds to replace.

I ended up using 7 & 3/4 quarts... I put in 7, then started the car and let it run for a bit. Turned it off, and after 10 min used the 'vehicle information' panel to see the oil level. It said I was a tad low (but OK) and put in the last 3/4 to get the fill level perfect.

Resetting your 'service required message: Hood up, drivers door open, press the start button, but don't start the car. After it's cycled through everything, press both the accelerator & brake at the same time all the way for 10-15 seconds. You may get a 'service resetting' message. I didn't, but it did reset. Plenty of videos online showing this process.

The following 2 users liked this post by D0gv0m1t:
AZBob (12-12-2020), CSL (12-11-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 03:51 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,126 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Here’s the filter socket I use on the F-type, along with a torque wrench. And a MityVac 7201.
Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
CSL (12-13-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fantastic

Thats pretty great, thanks for sharing. I took my 2017 in for an oil change and it took forever because they took that bottom cowling off, etc. That set up seems like something I'd like to try and fairly straightforward.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:43 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8Johnny
Thats pretty great, thanks for sharing. I took my 2017 in for an oil change and it took forever because they took that bottom cowling off, etc. That set up seems like something I'd like to try and fairly straightforward.
Just a head's up. This will only work for v6 models. If you have a four cylinder, you'll be SOL trying to do it this way.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the 35t so I'm good 🤟😆 to be honest the lack of a dip stick is super disturbing to me and I had no idea what that "vent tube" under the oil cap was.... it all makes so much more sense to me after seeing this thread.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:47 AM
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I absolutely agree regarding the lack of a dipstick. I cannot believe it saved any real money on a premium car. I do wonder "how" they eliminated the dip stick. Did they just put a plug in the engine block or change the casting?

Old 12-21-2020, 05:54 PM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, eliminating engine dipsticks is a really stupid idea but taken up big time by Audi and Mercedes. I hadn't realised that Jag had done the same with the V6 engine. The later Ingenium 4 cylinder that is in my XE has a dipstick and this allows me to use a manual pump oil extractor (Pela) with its suction tube poked down the dipstick pipe. I did do one oil change using the drain plug but it took forever to remove the undertray and put it back - 20 bolts and 2 plastic rivets!

Old 12-21-2020, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisjp
Yes, eliminating engine dipsticks is a really stupid idea but taken up big time by Audi and Mercedes. I hadn't realised that Jag had done the same with the V6 engine. The later Ingenium 4 cylinder that is in my XE has a dipstick and this allows me to use a manual pump oil extractor (Pela) with its suction tube poked down the dipstick pipe. I did do one oil change using the drain plug but it took forever to remove the undertray and put it back - 20 bolts and 2 plastic rivets!
JLR did it with the AJ133 V8 first back in 2008, and carried it over on the AJ126 V6 which was derived from the V8 in 2012. Both of those engines have a dedicated oil extraction tube, the top of which sits just under the oil filler cap. With that extraction tube you don't (and can't) poke an extractor tube down it, instead you fit the pump tube tightly around the top of the extraction tube so as to achieve a vacuum seal, and then you pump away.
Funny how JLR went back to the old-fashioned oil dipstick on the Ingenium!
I used to change the oil on my XFS, XFR and F-Type using the sump plug method (yes, despite all three having oil extraction tubes they also have sump plugs), and yes removing and replacing all those bolts and screws from the undertrays to then access the sump plug was a right royal PITA.
But then about 18 months ago I bought an oil extractor vacuum pump and it is sooooooo much easier that way it's not funny!
I don't know if the Ingenium I4 has an oil extraction tube as well as a dipstick tube, but even if it does not I understand that on many cars with a dipstick you can poke a thin extraction tube down the dipstick tube, connect it to a vacuum pump, and extract the old oil that way.