XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Driving the XE this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 688 Likes on 558 Posts
Default Driving the XE this weekend

Hi guys. I normally post over on the XK8/XKR forum, but wanted to share my experiences with the new XE. I was chosen to test this sedan out for a few days by Jaguar NA as a promotional event.

The XE will be released in 2016 as a 2017 model and will be competing with the BMW 3-series, Audi A4 and the others in that class. I can tell you after spending the day with the R-Sport model, the Germans had better be very afraid. This is a great car!

4-doors, 340HP V6 turbo, 8-speed auto with paddle shift and plenty of torque. Handling is crisp and acceleration is very good. Traffic was heavy today, so didn't get a chance to really open it up, but enough to know it is very quick.

Comfortable inside with pebbled leather and alcantara inserts. Stitched leather on the dash and door panels. Very supportive seats.

If you are interested, there are more details on the XK8/R forum ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eekend-154595/ ) and I will continue to post as I put more miles on thru the weekend. Jag has asked me to share the experience in return for the loan, so ask away if you have any questions.

Attached Thumbnails Driving the XE this weekend-img_0840-2.jpg   Driving the XE this weekend-img_0841-2.jpg   Driving the XE this weekend-img_0842-1.jpg  

Last edited by GGG; 12-20-2015 at 04:14 AM. Reason: add link to XK8/XKR thread
The following 2 users liked this post by Jag#4:
jmfan (01-12-2016), SNG Barratt USA (12-21-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Superb, looks gorgeous in white and the R model too, just gets better n better.
I'd guess the fleet market will take to them and give the BM and Audi's a run for their money.

Looking forward to more pics and detail as and when it comes

Old 12-19-2015, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Thanks.

I put my name on the list for the "take home" program when the tour hits Washington, DC, this coming spring along with close to a dozen others. Part of me hopes I don't get chosen because I fully expect it to be superior to comparable Audis and BMWs, and I've owned several of each.

That being the case, spending several days with it would likely make it impossible for me to resist placing an order.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Thanks.

I put my name on the list for the "take home" program when the tour hits Washington, DC, this coming spring along with close to a dozen others. Part of me hopes I don't get chosen because I fully expect it to be superior to comparable Audis and BMWs, and I've owned several of each.

That being the case, spending several days with it would likely make it impossible for me to resist placing an order.
Start saving now. My daughter has a 3-series M-sport BMW and the Jag is better IMHO. More character. I have owned Audis as well. You'll want the Jag.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Thought I would add a few more pictures from day 2 with the XE.

Attached Thumbnails Driving the XE this weekend-img_0850.jpg   Driving the XE this weekend-img_0851.jpg   Driving the XE this weekend-img_0852.jpg   Driving the XE this weekend-img_0855.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

And a few more pics. Notice the size of the trunk.

Attached Thumbnails Driving the XE this weekend-img_0858.jpg   Driving the XE this weekend-img_0859.jpg   Driving the XE this weekend-img_0860.jpg   Driving the XE this weekend-img_0863.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Jag#4:
Jhartz (01-30-2016), JimC64 (01-10-2016)
Old 12-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Will close this out with a few impressions after 2 days of driving.

The car is really quick for its size. Shifting into sport and using the paddles will really let you understand the term sports sedan. Plenty of torque and it just keeps pulling in every gear.

Interior is comfortable, seats supportive and very adjustable. Easy to see out.

Least favorite things:
  • Back seat legroom is limited
  • Engine start/stop at a light is annoying
  • Feature to switch on bright lights automatically if road is clear (it switches back off when it detects another car)

Best feature I didn't know I needed: an extra light comes on to illuminate the appropriate front side at night to help you steer into the turn.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:08 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Will close this out with a few impressions after 2 days of driving.

The car is really quick for its size. Shifting into sport and using the paddles will really let you understand the term sports sedan. Plenty of torque and it just keeps pulling in every gear.

Interior is comfortable, seats supportive and very adjustable. Easy to see out.

Least favorite things:
  • Back seat legroom is limited
  • Engine start/stop at a light is annoying
  • Feature to switch on bright lights automatically if road is clear (it switches back off when it detects another car)

Best feature I didn't know I needed: an extra light comes on to illuminate the appropriate front side at night to help you steer into the turn.
How would you say the rear seat legroom compares to the competition? I'm not expecting this car to be as spacious as a land yacht.

I like the auto high beams, at first I didn't like them on my car but now I love them.

As for the start-stop you can turn it off, I only wish that it would have an option to be permanently turned off instead of having to disable it every time you turn on the car.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
How would you say the rear seat legroom compares to the competition? I'm not expecting this car to be as spacious as a land yacht.
They are adequate. Certainly better than my XK8.

I would say slightly less room than the same size BMW. They could have easily moved them back a couple of inches and not lost much trunk space.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Mike,

I've added a link in your first post to the thread in XK8/XKR forum.

From the photos you've posted so far I like the look of the new XE but couldn't live with that interior colour combination. I suppose it fits the bill for a demonstrator - definitely eye catching!

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 07:08 AM

They are adequate. Certainly better than my XK8.

I would say slightly less room than the same size BMW. They could have easily moved them back a couple of inches and not lost much trunk space.
Haha, I had a Mustang so I know what you mean, it was very hard to go through the gears when you have someone sitting behind you!

Adequate is what I was expecting--if I really wanted a roomy rear seat I'd be looking in the next class up.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Jag#4, I'm curious about the difference in feel/performance, as well as ride of spirited driving in the normal and sport modes. Say you really stomp on it in normal mode merging on the highway instead of changing to sport mode, etc. How many gears are dropped down. When using the paddles, how quick are the shift? Engine note? I've got my XE on preorder. Anything you got to keep the fire burning until delivery

Old 12-21-2015, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by QwikCat
Thanks Jag#4, I'm curious about the difference in feel/performance, as well as ride of spirited driving in the normal and sport modes. Say you really stomp on it in normal mode merging on the highway instead of changing to sport mode, etc. How many gears are dropped down. When using the paddles, how quick are the shift? Engine note? I've got my XE on preorder. Anything you got to keep the fire burning until delivery
In normal it is quick. When you put it in Sport mode, it switches to the paddles and the shifts are instantaneous when you flick them. "pops" into gears with a healthy surge. With 8 speeds on tap, you have to pay attention. It hits that redline really fast.

How many it drops from normal depends on many factors, but it is a noticeable kick down. At least 2 gears if you really stomp it.

The engine note is sweet. Not too loud, but you can hear it growling. I think you will be happy with it.

The following users liked this post:
QwikCat (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 08:11 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the reponse Mike, can't wait for mine.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:15 PM

Those 19" wheels really seem to fill the space well, but I think I'd go for the 20" design. Can't wait to take a look at one next month at the dealership.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Mike sounds like you really enjoyed your time with the new Cat on the block?
Any other points to share?

How did you find the forum prize procedure and follow up by Jaguar regarding details and delivery of the car?

I assume all was well?
Thanks so much for your comments

Old 01-11-2016, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
Mike sounds like you really enjoyed your time with the new Cat on the block?
Any other points to share?

How did you find the forum prize procedure and follow up by Jaguar regarding details and delivery of the car?

I assume all was well?
Thanks so much for your comments
Thoughts to share? It was a very good car; a very modern Jag. Definitely a competitor in its class. The only downside is that very few folks caught on to what it was. It resembles the XF enough that I guess it went incognito.

The process with the marketing company and their local support was awesome. Very simple and stress free. I could not have had a better experience on that front. Absolutely no hassles, even when I changed pickup times on them.

The only thing I would have changed was beyond their control. Because it was so close to the holidays, the traffic was worse than normal due to the shopping frenzy. It made it difficult to really take advantage of the car's sporting character.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thoughts to share? It was a very good car; a very modern Jag. Definitely a competitor in its class. The only downside is that very few folks caught on to what it was. It resembles the XF enough that I guess it went incognito.

The process with the marketing company and their local support was awesome. Very simple and stress free. I could not have had a better experience on that front. Absolutely no hassles, even when I changed pickup times on them.

The only thing I would have changed was beyond their control. Because it was so close to the holidays, the traffic was worse than normal due to the shopping frenzy. It made it difficult to really take advantage of the car's sporting character.
Best of all should be that it doesn´t have a front bumper license plate

Looks like a great car with a stunning design (Ian Callum is doing great things to Jag), hope it also would come in the future with Laser Lights, 2.2D engine and park itself in the garage (that would seal the deal ).

I´m also to Test drive a unit so may come with more accurate conclusions further down the road, but for the interior I think the "Start-Stop Console" looks too much "Pouget" like.

Cheers,
John

Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the report!

I also drove the XE this weekend, though I didn't get to take one home!
I attended the "Art of Performance" event in San Francisco (which was quite impressive by the way). The test drive was rather short and very traffic-filled, but I like the car quite a bit. It looks great, the noise is excellent, the ride and handling are a notch above its rivals if you want sporty. The rear legroom is about what you get in a BMW 3/4 series or an Audi A4, which is to say not enough legroom if the front passengers are tall. The interior looks very good, but I can't say excellent; the design and materials look about 90% as upscale as you'd like them to. It's about on par with Audi, probably a tad less than BMW, and definitely behind Mercedes. That said, the top-notch looks and the great handling, plus the 5/60 warranty and free maintenance probably mean great success for this model Jaguar.

Hi guys. I normally post over on the XK8/XKR forum, but wanted to share my experiences with the new XE. I was chosen to test this sedan out for a few days by Jaguar NA as a promotional event.

The XE will be released in 2016 as a 2017 model and will be competing with the BMW 3-series, Audi A4 and the others in that class. I can tell you after spending the day with the R-Sport model, the Germans had better be very afraid. This is a great car!

4-doors, 340HP V6 turbo, 8-speed auto with paddle shift and plenty of torque. Handling is crisp and acceleration is very good. Traffic was heavy today, so didn't get a chance to really open it up, but enough to know it is very quick.

Comfortable inside with pebbled leather and alcantara inserts. Stitched leather on the dash and door panels. Very supportive seats.

If you are interested, there are more details on the XK8/R forum ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eekend-154595/ ) and I will continue to post as I put more miles on thru the weekend. Jag has asked me to share the experience in return for the loan, so ask away if you have any questions.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm looking forward to driving the XE in Dallas next week at this event.
My current ride is a 335i/6MT so I am their target market.

Quick Reply: Driving the XE this weekend