XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Dynamic vs Sports Modes

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dynamic vs Sports Modes

What is the difference between the sport mode (on the drive selector) and the dynamic mode (selected via the Jaguardrive control)? It would seem that either mode increases throttle, steering and perhaps damper response. Is there more to it?

Old 02-24-2016, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Hi. With the XKR what you notice most is that the dynamic sharpens up the suspension and it opens up the exhaust. The suspension gets a bit jarring. In sport, the throttle is much more aggressive and the car will change up later and change down earlier, so it is great for windy roads. Sport is even better using the paddles, with tremendous throttle response, but using sport and dynamic at the same time with the paddles is a little extreme, making the changes lumpy and a tendency to bunny hop in first.

With the XE, most reviews suggested to run it in dynamic mode which we do all the time. It sharpens up the auto in the 25T which apparently can otherwise hunt for gears a little. But the ride isnt adversely affected, it really couldnt be any better even on substandard roads. I have only put the car into sport a couple of times because the car is still being run in. I did notice quite an enhanced throttle response, though it lost its smoothness, which I suppose you would expect.

The following users liked this post:
QwikCat (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

While we're on the subject, I'm very curious about the $1,000 option of adaptive dynamics? Just by reading the short paragraph on Jaguar's website, it seems like it's just automatically switches between suspension settings on the fly depending on how hard you're pushing the car, without having to manually change the settings, but just guessing. Not really sure if it's worth the money? My wife will leave the car in normal mode, and I'll always switch it to sport. Anyone else have this on other Jaguar models, and can explain?

Last edited by QwikCat; 02-26-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeclk
What is the difference between the sport mode (on the drive selector) and the dynamic mode (selected via the Jaguardrive control)? It would seem that either mode increases throttle, steering and perhaps damper response. Is there more to it?

According to the manuals:
The transmission selector only affects the transmission shift points. In "S" permanent manual mode is initiated is you use the paddles.
Further, if you are in "S" mode and dynamic mode, the transmission does not upshift automatically at all:
When Dynamic mode is selected while in transmission S, up-shifts are fully controlled by the driver. The transmission does not automatically change up to the next gear, even if the engine’s rev limit is reached.
The Driving Mode switch affects:
  • throttle response,
  • steering weight and,
  • and suspension, (only if you have "Adaptive Dynamics").
Changing between Driving modes will alter various vehicle settings, for example, engine revs may alter on selection of a different Driving mode, while at a constant accelerator pedal position, steering system feel may also become heavier or lighter. These changes are not dramatic but will be noticeable.
It sounds identical to the controls on my BMW 335i

Old 02-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that is interesting pcbrew. With my 5 series, sport mode affects the transmission (gear shifts are delayed, down shifts are more aggressive and 8th gear is locked out) and throttle response is enhanced. Based on your research, it appears that this combination is not possible in the XE. With the XE you can have sportier shifts via the sport mode OR enhanced throttle response via the dynamic mode. If you try to have both you are left with manual shifting via the paddles. As a number of auto critics have stated, modern day transmissions are more effective in maximizing performance than manual shifting, so this does not appear to be the best outcome for the spirited driver. Surely this cannot be the case....

Old 02-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

One is NOT "manual shifting" w/ the paddles. It is still the automatic doing the shifting, but it is the driver making the decision of when to shift. The speed of shifts is the same in full auto mode or when using paddles.

It's exactly the same transmission as in the F-Type, and you can use Dynamic mode in full automatic by leaving the shift lever the right (not in Sport mode). Moreover, you get sportier shifts AND (not OR) more aggressive throttle mapping in Dynamic mode. I wouldn't call it "enhanced" throttle response, because all it does it shorten the distance one needs to press the pedal to get more throttle. You still have full throttle travel without it, but you just have to push the pedal further to get it. It's nothing more than a different throttle mapping.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-26-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:16 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeclk
Well that is interesting pcbrew. With my 5 series, sport mode affects the transmission (gear shifts are delayed, down shifts are more aggressive and 8th gear is locked out) and throttle response is enhanced. Based on your research, it appears that this combination is not possible in the XE. With the XE you can have sportier shifts via the sport mode OR enhanced throttle response via the dynamic mode. If you try to have both you are left with manual shifting via the paddles. As a number of auto critics have stated, modern day transmissions are more effective in maximizing performance than manual shifting, so this does not appear to be the best outcome for the spirited driver. Surely this cannot be the case....
No, it is not the case, in several respects. First, you speak as if you must select sport transmission mode or dynamic driving mode, but not both. This is untrue, and selecting both results in almost exactly the effects you mentioned. Paddle shifting is the option, fully automatic shifting is the norm no matter what combination of transmission and driving modes you select. Paddle shifting is very quick, much quicker than any manual box.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Hi. With the XKR what you notice most is that the dynamic sharpens up the suspension and it opens up the exhaust. The suspension gets a bit jarring. In sport, the throttle is much more aggressive and the car will change up later and change down earlier, so it is great for windy roads. Sport is even better using the paddles, with tremendous throttle response, but using sport and dynamic at the same time with the paddles is a little extreme, making the changes lumpy and a tendency to bunny hop in first.

With the XE, most reviews suggested to run it in dynamic mode which we do all the time. It sharpens up the auto in the 25T which apparently can otherwise hunt for gears a little. But the ride isnt adversely affected, it really couldnt be any better even on substandard roads. I have only put the car into sport a couple of times because the car is still being run in. I did notice quite an enhanced throttle response, though it lost its smoothness, which I suppose you would expect.
Bruce is spot on. Both my wife and I leave it it in Dynamic mode ( unless in heavy traffic). I tend to use Sport mode on good Driver roads! JLR have got it spot on.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:03 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I have seen a few 'is the XE a proper Jaguar' discussions in various guises. Most seem to be argued around the amount of wood and leather on offer and the shape of the grille. In truth the leather and wood thing is something from the 80's and 90's, when Jaguar was struggling to find an identity for itself post British Leyland without too much recourse to innovation and elegant design. Wood and Leather do not define a Jaguar.

Jaguar is really about cars like the XK120/140, the D-type, the E-Type and the mark I and II saloons. Pace and grace, design that makes you stop and look, and above all, innovation. Cars that changed the market place.

That's what I bought into when I ordered my XE. Mike Hailwood in a D type at le Mans, a saloon car so good that it was once the getaway of choice of bankrobbers, not just because of it's exceptional flat out speed, but because of it's sports car like handling (they chose the 2.4 over the 3.6).

To me those are the true values and legacy of Jaguar and the current range, particularly the XE, are exactly in tune with what Lyons laid down as the core characteristics of the marque.

p.s. I have no intention of robbing a bank. Although if I did I'd make a better fist of showing the law a clean pair of heels than OJ ever managed.

The following 4 users liked this post by stever_51:
BruceTheQuail (03-10-2016), Fair2 (03-10-2016), Mbourne (03-10-2016), QwikCat (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by stever_51
I have seen a few 'is the XE a proper Jaguar' discussions in various guises. Most seem to be argued around the amount of wood and leather on offer and the shape of the grille. In truth the leather and wood thing is something from the 80's and 90's, when Jaguar was struggling to find an identity for itself post British Leyland without too much recourse to innovation and elegant design. Wood and Leather do not define a Jaguar.

Jaguar is really about cars like the XK120/140, the D-type, the E-Type and the mark I and II saloons. Pace and grace, design that makes you stop and look, and above all, innovation. Cars that changed the market place.

That's what I bought into when I ordered my XE. Mike Hailwood in a D type at le Mans, a saloon car so good that it was once the getaway of choice of bankrobbers, not just because of it's exceptional flat out speed, but because of it's sports car like handling (they chose the 2.4 over the 3.6).

To me those are the true values and legacy of Jaguar and the current range, particularly the XE, are exactly in tune with what Lyons laid down as the core characteristics of the marque.

p.s. I have no intention of robbing a bank. Although if I did I'd make a better fist of showing the law a clean pair of heels than OJ ever managed.
Well stated.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mbourne:
Fair2 (03-11-2016), stever_51 (03-10-2016)