XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Grey Color

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grey Color

Hi,

Is there any difference in the following 2 colors ?

Ammonite Grey vs. Corris Grey

I am considering a 2017 XE in the Ammonite Grey color and I can't find it on the website

Anyone out there have any pictures of their car to post in that particular color?

Thanks

Old 09-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Good question!

The British Jaguar owners over in the UK appear to follow the “colors” and “color-names” of these cars VERY closely. There were at least three “metallic” colors from the 2016/2017 line that turned out superb when they came off the assembly line:

Storm Grey
Ammonite Grey
British Racing Green.

Jaguar picked up on the way these three colors seemed to “change mood” depending in the angle of the sun, weather of the day, etc. Owners were in love with the effect.
So apparently Jaguar RE-marketed the NAMES of these colors for 2017/2018.

The British owners were very suspicious about WHY the name-change (has the amount of metallic effect been altered?, or paint-hardness changed?…), but as best as those owners could tell:

The new “Corris Grey” is exactly the same lean-for-business Ammonite Grey with a new spiffy name.
The new “Carpathian Grey” is the self-same bewitching Storm Grey, with just a new (Game of Thrones?) inspired name change.

… My 2017 choice, British Racing Green, has been dropped from the 2018 line up entirely. …Oh well.

DON’T study an photos of these three colors! That’s both the danger and the cool thing about Ammonite (Corris) and these others. They seriously do CHANGE when you try to capture them in photos.

To decide if you like what the paint is doing, you have to find a car that’s on display, and visit that same car on three separate days and times.
You will be shocked.

And then you’ll have to decide whether you want that spooky drama, or just prefer a simple dark blue, red or black (even though those other colors come in metallic, they don’t do that bewitching change on you).

If not for the Brit Green, my choice would have been the Carpathian Grey, because the Corris Grey, (when it’s in one of its moods) sometimes resembles the grey that some other people chose for their KIAs and BMWs around my neighborhood.

No kidding, you HAVE to walk up to the car in real life a few times, to give yourself any fair look on Corris or Carpathian. The other colors you can safely decide from a book... but not those.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 09-15-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any pictures to post for the Ammonite (Corris) ?

Old 09-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Off topic kinda but yea well written guy is right. You cannot tell through pictures. There are two blacks. One is ultimate black and the other is the regular black.

I've driven a rental with the regular black and own the ultimate black and wow the difference is crazy. The ultimate looks premium and expensive the regular looks very bland. Imagine a civic.

Additionally don't have the dealer detail your car before you pick it up they will put swirl marks everywhere

The following users liked this post:
NewLester de Rocin (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 01:28 PM

Kudos to that advice about the detailing. The Jag paint colors are impressive, but the paint itself is really soft. Your dealer is likely to mark that paint in some way or some location when he’s slapping on the buffing, wax or whatever. Mine put swirls in the lower rear bumper with his wax---took me 5 hand washes to finally convince myself it was just the wax and not the paint he marked up.

Same thing with letting your service center wash the car after they finish a scheduled service---you DON’T want them washing your paint.

A pro website gave an insightful review of all the 2017 colors on the XE. They weren’t connected with Jaguar, and their comments seemed very realistic. I’ll try to find that link and post it for you by next Monday.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:04 PM

Try this link.

It's from a year ago, so it may no longer be up. But their opinions were very pragmatic.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/jaguar-xe-colours-guide

The following users liked this post:
gproc22 (09-18-2017)