XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Infotainment CRAP , upgrade to chinese multimedia

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020 | 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Ok. You talked me out of it. I just hate not having google maps and going through Bluetooth for my music blows. I have a Note10+ so I have to get a USB to Usb-c adaptor to connect my phone directly. Its a bummer but honestly I think I can live with the nav unit as-is as long as I can get a proper sub in the trunk. The meridian 380w system is actually pretty sweet sounding in midrange and highs....just lacks decent bass 🔊 .... its the one thing I've always hated about Jaguar is how they make it so ****ing impossible to use existing cables to improve audio/navigation experience. Basically if you want something good..either get the top tier package when ordering the car or completely bypass the entire infotainment wiring and install something from the ground up.

Old 07-15-2020 | 12:43 PM

Yeah I hear ya. I sold my F Type, but I bought some nanoboxes that fit behind my seat and those worked really well. You should try that. Between the android auto/carplay adapter and those speakers, you should be good

Old 07-16-2020 | 02:14 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah! Just got a JL jx500/1 amp and a JL audio CP210-W0v3 dual 10" sub setup 👌 . It was my VAP tune money 🤫..lol....install is this Saturday. Will post some photos. Anyone know where I find the android auto dongle/ adapter thing for this head unit?

Old 07-16-2020 | 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Yeah! Just got a JL jx500/1 amp and a JL audio CP210-W0v3 dual 10" sub setup 👌 . It was my VAP tune money 🤫..lol....install is this Saturday. Will post some photos. Anyone know where I find the android auto dongle/ adapter thing for this head unit?
Its not a dongle, but a piece of hardware you install that hijacks the factory nav. You can find it here for pretty much any Jag. https://unique-ad.co.uk/

Old 07-16-2020 | 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Oh wow...its a bit pricier than I expected. I will probably hold off. Especially since the price doesn't even include install....but oh man it is so tempting. I watched their demo videos....i never realized how much I really like using Google maps and it would be so great to have it on my car display. Has anyone ever tried to use the Jaguar OEM navigation???? I could drive to my destination before I finish entering info into all the seperate fields..its ****ing ridiculous 😒 ....and the bad part is...this has not changed one single bit since 2004....they had the same interface in the X type and the XJ and in the XF and now on the XE....why???....just .....whyyyyyyy?😪

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 07-16-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2020 | 05:33 PM

Oh wow...its a bit pricier than I expected. I will probably hold off. Especially since the price doesn't even include install....but oh man it is so tempting. I watched their demo videos....i never realized how much I really like using Google maps and it would be so great to have it on my car display. Has anyone ever tried to use the Jaguar OEM navigation???? I could drive to my destination before I finish entering info into all the seperate fields..its ****ing ridiculous 😒 ....and the bad part is...this has not changed one single bit since 2004....they had the same interface in the X type and the XJ and in the XF and now on the XE....why???....just .....whyyyyyyy?😪
It very easy to install it
Plug and play and 100% compatible with jaguar i was afraid at the first time but.. Finally.. It's very easy. Around 10/ 15 minutes

Old 07-22-2020 | 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Duee...if you installed this in 15 minutes then you do this for a living. I just saw a install video for this thing and it is. Jumbled mess of wires. Not to mention all the breakable parts of the infotainment unit surround that need to come off.

Old 07-29-2020 | 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

Fixed the lack of bass in my XE. I have the 380W Meridian system. The ability to control the bass completely changes the dynamics of the OEM stereo. Didnt bother with a sound clip because the juicy sound just doesnt transfer over a cell phone, but trust me..it is beautifull😋. I went with 12" JL subs and glad I found a great deal on the subs and enclosure.

Old 09-04-2020 | 08:16 AM

I'm in the process of installing one myself. I have couple of questions though.
1. How did you remove the the AC panel below the infotainment unit? I know it's held with clips but seems its super tight and I'm having trouble pulling it out as there is no holds for hand or fingers. Do I need to remove the side panelling first?

2. Where did you stick the mic, antenna & GPS receiver for the new unit? could you re-use the GPS built into the car?

Thank, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-22-2020 | 02:31 PM

Fixed the lack of bass in my XE. I have the 380W Meridian system. The ability to control the bass completely changes the dynamics of the OEM stereo. Didnt bother with a sound clip because the juicy sound just doesnt transfer over a cell phone, but trust me..it is beautifull😋. I went with 12" JL subs and glad I found a great deal on the subs and enclosure.
where did you get that enclosure?

I got 2 JL w3 12's installed and an XD1000.1 amp from them are those what you have? can't tell but maybe yours are the w6? was gonna go that route but claimed they would not fit I think.

I have a sealed enclosure cus none of the ported ones worked so that must be perfect so I would love to get that one. sealed sounds good. I have always had ported before so i wonder how much more BASS that will get hehe.

Old 11-23-2020 | 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

I actually have the 12w0v3 subs inside a JL audio ported bass enclosure. Its called a base wedge...and fit the trunk space like it was custom made.

Old 11-17-2021 | 12:59 PM

So, I ordered a Chinese Android Head Unit. It was $533 and shipped $571. It arrived and I thought I would share pics. It's brand is Wimafun. It was bought for my XE even though the unit states it's for an F Pace, they assured me it would fit. For some reason I can't seem to insert pics directly, so please see this link:

Chinese HeadUnit - Imgur
Thanks! I am wondering about installation given there does not appear to be a board that needs replacing.

Old 11-17-2021 | 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by billqs
So, I ordered a Chinese Android Head Unit. It was $533 and shipped $571. It arrived and I thought I would share pics. It's brand is Wimafun. It was bought for my XE even though the unit states it's for an F Pace, they assured me it would fit. For some reason I can't seem to insert pics directly, so please see this link:

Chinese HeadUnit - Imgur
Thanks! I am wondering about installation given there does not appear to be a board that needs replacing.
Very nice indeed. i betcha your happy for it. On the side note, please don't sell your OEM Info system. Just in case, if you sell your XE in the future you might revert it back to the original. Prospective buyers are picky sometimes when they see something that is not OEM. But if your plan is to keep the car so much the better

The following users liked this post:
billqs (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021 | 09:28 PM

Let me have another go at the pics.

Most of this looks straight forward except that one thin black wire. I’m assuming it’s a power ground but I’m not sure where to run it. Actually it's very thin fiber. Still don't know where it goes.
So, the dark blue at the bottom is for the GPS Antenna, the coax out is for the 4G Antenna, White outlet is the input from the wire harness that adds itself to the OEM harness on the head unit. The Gray plug is for the physical buttons that come on the 8 inch screen.
The light blue plug is most likely the input from the Head Unit to the new screen. Thick black cable hooks up to a mic. Don't know what the thin black fiber optic out is for.

Last edited by billqs; 11-18-2021 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Description of black wire
Old 11-18-2021 | 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
Very nice indeed. i betcha your happy for it. On the side note, please don't sell your OEM Info system. Just in case, if you sell your XE in the future you might revert it back to the original. Prospective buyers are picky sometimes when they see something that is not OEM. But if your plan is to keep the car so much the better
I won't be selling the OEM Headunit. It is required for the Android Headunit to work. I will safely store the original touchscreen so I can reverse engineer if necessary.

Old 11-18-2021 | 04:15 PM

BTW, can people see the pics in post #74? My work browser didn't show the pics.

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2021 | 05:25 PM

Yep, lots of pictures!

Bob

The following users liked this post:
billqs (11-18-2021)
Old 11-19-2021 | 06:53 PM

Ok, this Android Unit is the real deal! I've provisionally installed it and turned it on for testing. The menus are snappy no dragging or lagging, it has wireless Carplay and Android Auto built in, works completely well with the NLI Head Unit In Control (not Pro or Plus) known as the "Harman" system in the Chinese Manufacturer parlance.

There are no boards to have to transfer from the original display. It uses Auxillary automatically, hardwired into its connection to the OEM head unit- you don't have to hook it up via a 3.5mm cable. Best yet, the total price including shipping was less than $600! I got it in 9 days from China. Here is the link: Android 10 navi is used for jaguar XE, Display10.25 inch, 2016-2019 car radio GPS player, car intelligent Carplay 8+64G

Last edited by billqs; 11-19-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2021 | 09:18 PM

Ok, I've spent a day with it installed in my car and I've come back down to earth. It works well, but it has a few hiccups. Like other Android Head Units it takes 45 seconds or so to boot up fully. It does Carplay extremely well, but the output level is somewhat low. Since the signal is transmitted directly to the wiring harness it makes it easy for owners, but it also makes it much harder to get something to boost the signal. Luckily, the sound is really good, and no noise even at full volume. It was easy to use the provided EQ to get it where I like it. It switches back and forth between the OEM and the head unit very easily, and all connections work on the steering wheel.

Overall, I'm still very happy with it, but it has a few quirks.

Old 06-03-2023 | 09:25 AM

Hi,
I know this is quite an old thread but, does it connect via Bluetooth to the head unit instead of using the aux input?