XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Jaguar XE 2017 vs Jaguar XF 2017

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 07:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar XE 2017 vs Jaguar XF 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of dilemma here. I have a Jaguar XF 2013 (V6, supercharged) but because of issues with the supercharger, I'm planning to sell it now. I have been looking at two options, one is a 2017 XF Premium (V6, supercharged, 30K miles) and the other is a 2017 XE Prestige (4 cyl, 45K miles). They are similarly priced, with the XF being about a $500 more than the XE. The issue I'm running into is that the XF is being offered by a private dealership and so after the current warranty (1 yr. 3 months) expires, I would have to purchase a third party warranty. They quote a complete coverage warranty for $4600 for 100K miles I believe. The XE on the other hand is a certified pre-owned car and so has an additional year of warranty beyond the current warranty left on it and I can purchase additional CPO warranty for two more years through Jaguar. I'm not sure about the price as I haven't inquired about it yet. I'm guessing it would be around $3000. The XE i'm looking at has addtional options fitted to it like the cold weather package, 19" wheels and some other features. My question is, is it a big difference when going from an XF to a XE? I'm also skeptical about purchasing a third party warranty instead of a CPO. The CPO came in very handy for my 2013 XF as it frequently had issues and they fixed at no additional cost to me. I know it's a decision I have to make but I just wanted to get opinions of people who are more experienced than me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 06-24-2021, 11:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The XE is a great car; I had basically the exact XE you’re describing. If you don’t need the extra rear legroom and slightly larger trunk of the XF, I would go for the XE. It handles beautifully and is more nimble than the XF, but the interior is basically the same and the ride quality is excellent (especially if you set the tire pressures for Light Load). The Prestige gives you more options, and the CPO is a huge factor in its favor. I would also be hesitant about getting a third party warranty.

So unless you need more room (my son is getting pretty big, so when my XE lease ended I went for a used XF Sportbrake), I would definitely go with the XE.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:20 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

My only reservation about the XE is its 4 cylinder engine which, if you're used to 6 cylinders, you may find a little underwhelming. I have a 4 cylinder XE myself and it's plenty powerful enough, but it does hesitate a bit when you floor the throttle while the turbo spools up, and the engine note is not as pleasing (to my ears at least) as that of a 6 cylinder.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:21 AM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

It's up to you which one, both are great looking cars. Except for the small difference in size. I went for the XF because, I want my family to have more leg room & more comfort on long journeys (out of state). If you have a family with 2 small kid you're better off with an XE. If you have a family with 2 teens go for the XF. If you intend to keep the car for the next 10 years while you have 2 small kids, go for the XF.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (11-07-2023)
Old 06-24-2021, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by chrisjp
My only reservation about the XE is its 4 cylinder engine which, if you're used to 6 cylinders, you may find a little underwhelming. I have a 4 cylinder XE myself and it's plenty powerful enough, but it does hesitate a bit when you floor the throttle while the turbo spools up, and the engine note is not as pleasing (to my ears at least) as that of a 6 cylinder.
Oh, I missed that detail. Mine was the supercharged V6. I did drive the 4 cylinder as a loaner when I was getting mine serviced, and it wasn’t slow or unresponsive by any means, but I agree the sound wasn’t as pleasing (to me). You do get more torque lower in the rev range, but it also taps out when it gets to the top end while the V6 keeps pulling. I still think CPO is the way to go; if you can find either one with the V6 as a CPO, that’s where I would lean.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by (Not Mick) Jaaaagger
The XE is a great car; I had basically the exact XE you’re describing. If you don’t need the extra rear legroom and slightly larger trunk of the XF, I would go for the XE. It handles beautifully and is more nimble than the XF, but the interior is basically the same and the ride quality is excellent (especially if you set the tire pressures for Light Load). The Prestige gives you more options, and the CPO is a huge factor in its favor. I would also be hesitant about getting a third party warranty.

So unless you need more room (my son is getting pretty big, so when my XE lease ended I went for a used XF Sportbrake), I would definitely go with the XE.
Thank you for your reply! I don't think I will be needing the extra rear legroom and the larger trunk of the XF. I have barely had anyone sit in the back of the car and I don't use it for long drive to go to different places, so I don't think I would need the larger trunk space. I didn't know it was more nimble than the XF, that's good to know. I really like the drive of my XF but when I test drove the 2017 one, i noticed it wasn't as powerful in the corners for some reason even though that one is a V6 supercharged too. There is a slight hesitation before the power kicks in but I don't notice that on my current 2013 XF. I made some calls today and I was told that Jaguar changed their CPO policy this month and they will no longer provide the option of additional years. It adds one year to the original warranty and that's it. So I'm basically looking at 1yr 3 months for the XF and about 1 yr 6 months for the XE. The XE i was looking at too is a no go as they said they wouldn't ship out of state but I found a similar one close to my area. It's more expensive by about $2500 than the XF but it has additional features fitted onto it. This one is a V6 too. I really don't know what to do about the warranty as I'm skeptical about something going wrong with the car after my experience with my older XF.

Panthro (12-21-2023)
Old 06-24-2021, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by chrisjp
Thank you for your reply! The one I'm looking at now is a 6 cylinder as the one with the 4 was out of state and they said that they wouldn't want to ship it to a different state. That is good to know though that the 4 cylinder is still powerful!

Old 06-24-2021, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
It's up to you which one, both are great looking cars. Except for the small difference in size. I went for the XF because, I want my family to have more leg room & more comfort on long journeys (out of state). If you have a family with 2 small kid you're better off with an XE. If you have a family with 2 teens go for the XF. If you intend to keep the car for the next 10 years while you have 2 small kids, go for the XF.
Thank you for your reply! I'm not married and I don't have kids and I'm not intending to change this. So I'm guessing the XE would be good! The one thing that I like about the XF more than the XE is it's design. The XF is a great looking car, possible the best out there, in my opinion. I still state at my 2013 XF when I'm walking towards it sometimes. I think they made it even better after the 2016 facelift!

Old 06-24-2021, 02:51 PM

Oh, I missed that detail. Mine was the supercharged V6. I did drive the 4 cylinder as a loaner when I was getting mine serviced, and it wasn’t slow or unresponsive by any means, but I agree the sound wasn’t as pleasing (to me). You do get more torque lower in the rev range, but it also taps out when it gets to the top end while the V6 keeps pulling. I still think CPO is the way to go; if you can find either one with the V6 as a CPO, that’s where I would lean.

Would you think the CPO is still the way to go with the higher price for the car and about the same warranty left on either of them?

Old 06-24-2021, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by aimulaidni
Would you think the CPO is still the way to go with the higher price for the car and about the same warranty left on either of them?
I see you’re now looking at a V6 one; that was actually what I had (V6 Prestige), and if I didn’t want the extra space I would have just kept it when the lease ended. I usually trust CPO more, and you can probably get the price down if you squeeze them. Dealers aren’t shifting that many V6s (especially if it’s not an S trim).

Old 06-24-2021, 03:22 PM

I see you’re now looking at a V6 one; that was actually what I had (V6 Prestige), and if I didn’t want the extra space I would have just kept it when the lease ended. I usually trust CPO more, and you can probably get the price down if you squeeze them. Dealers aren’t shifting that many V6s (especially if it’s not an S trim).
Yes, I'm looking at a V6 now as the other dealer said they wouldn't ship out of state. Yeah, I trust the CPO more too, so I'm leaning towards that but only thing keeping me from it is the price right now. I was hoping to get the price down but when I asked the salesperson over the phone, he said the price online would be the final one. The market looks crazy now and the stock is getting really limited now because of it, so that's making me think they wouldn't budge on the price as they know someone will buy it right away.

Old 06-24-2021, 03:36 PM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Thank you for your reply! I'm not married and I don't have kids and I'm not intending to change this. So I'm guessing the XE would be good! The one thing that I like about the XF more than the XE is it's design. The XF is a great looking car, possible the best out there, in my opinion. I still state at my 2013 XF when I'm walking towards it sometimes. I think they made it even better after the 2016 facelift!
I agree, the X260 is an extremely good looking car. Jaguar should have added the 2 door coupe model below

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 06-24-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:07 PM

Yes, I'm looking at a V6 now as the other dealer said they wouldn't ship out of state. Yeah, I trust the CPO more too, so I'm leaning towards that but only thing keeping me from it is the price right now. I was hoping to get the price down but when I asked the salesperson over the phone, he said the price online would be the final one. The market looks crazy now and the stock is getting really limited now because of it, so that's making me think they wouldn't budge on the price as they know someone will buy it right away.
They always say that. Just keep an eye on it. And check the CarFax to see when they put it up for sale. If it’s been a while and it’s still there in two weeks or something, then you can call back and tell them they can sell it immediately if they bring the price down a bit. But if it’s an Autonation dealership they can’t do anything because their corporate model is no-haggle.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The XE is really a short version of the XF ! Rear legroom is reduced, allthough at my daughter's wedding in 2019, I managed to get t hree bridesmaids in the back, with my daughter in the front passenger seat. However, me and my daughter are both quite short. If you need to have the seat right back there is little room at all. The XE is a handy little car, (my last two cars were X350 XJ6 saloons), and it's easy to park and handling is very good. If you're not wanting to "dump rubber" the 4-cylinder turbo-charged engine is more than suffiicent. Mine is the diesel, so a bit growly compared to a petrol but once the engine is warm you don't notice it much, if at all.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
I agree, the X260 is an extremely good looking car. Jaguar should have added the 2 door coupe model below

That does look great! I didn't know they had a concept like this!

Old 06-24-2021, 09:21 PM

They always say that. Just keep an eye on it. And check the CarFax to see when they put it up for sale. If it’s been a while and it’s still there in two weeks or something, then you can call back and tell them they can sell it immediately if they bring the price down a bit. But if it’s an Autonation dealership they can’t do anything because their corporate model is no-haggle.
I asked the sales person about when the car was put on sale and he said that it has been on sale for about two weeks. He said he couldn't come down on the price. I'm debating whether I should go with it or not because of it.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The XE is really a short version of the XF ! Rear legroom is reduced, allthough at my daughter's wedding in 2019, I managed to get t hree bridesmaids in the back, with my daughter in the front passenger seat. However, me and my daughter are both quite short. If you need to have the seat right back there is little room at all. The XE is a handy little car, (my last two cars were X350 XJ6 saloons), and it's easy to park and handling is very good. If you're not wanting to "dump rubber" the 4-cylinder turbo-charged engine is more than suffiicent. Mine is the diesel, so a bit growly compared to a petrol but once the engine is warm you don't notice it much, if at all.
Thank you for replying. It's good to know that it worked well for you at your daughter's wedding! I agree, the handling is good!

Old 06-24-2021, 09:42 PM

I went for a test drive this evening and even though I found the car took the curves well but it felt a little off on the highway. I think it was because it was an AWD. For some reason, I couldn't feel that push that you get from a RWD. The car was great overall but when I sat inside, the XE felt small for some reason. I just felt the XF was more natural for me. I've always felt like i belonged when I sat in the XF. The sales person said he would add another year of CPO warranty for about $1800. I was already pushing my monthly limit but this $1800 is making it difficult.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Personally if I was given your circumstances I would buy another pre-facelift XF. The new ones handled better and the infotainment is better, but the pre facelift is a more special looking car inside and out. The facelift is a bit sterile on the outside (the XE looks better IMO) and the interior is not special at all. The 2021 version improved that enormously, but then you are talking about a new car.

With a 2015/6 XF you wont get warranty, but you'd get a lot of bang for your buck.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:54 PM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey there!

Actually went through a similar dilemma a while back. I was trying to decide between a 15 XF 3.0 or a 17 XE 35t. Like someone said earlier, 25t is not underpowered, but coming from the 3.0 I would recommend sticking with the V6. In terms of size, I always thought the new XF was such a big car. I directly compared an XE with a 2015 XF size-wise, and their dimensions and proportions are so similar.

The XE interior is adequate for carrying 4 at a time, no more. I have driven on a 6 hour road trip in the car with 4 of us, and we are all above 5'10 and no one complained. I find the trunk kind of spacious for the class too. The XE rides beautifully.

Just my 2 cent!

Panthro (12-21-2023)