XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Loosing coolant - muddy colored coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 06:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Loosing coolant - muddy colored coolant

When I bought my used XE a month or so ago, I found that the coolant was low - about half way up the container. I filled it with the correct Jaguar orange coolant mixed 50/50. Now, after about 1500km, I noticed that there had been some more coolant loss so, once again, I topped it up. Then I noticed that the coolant was not the clear bright orange that is the norm on my XF. Both have similar kilometrage, 15000. I inspected every pipe and connection I could see and couldn't locate any leaks. Unhappily, my thought now is that there might be an internal leak. Perhaps a head gasket. I've seen other posts about blown gaskets with horrendous costs on older vehicles. My XE is still under factory warrantee. Any thoughts?

Old 10-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 351 Posts

typically muddy looking coolant indicates a blown head gasket but it could be worse. First check is a compression test of all cylinders.

wj

The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (10-20-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

If it were me I would not drive another inch or mm and have it flatbedded to the dealer.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:34 PM

Wow! I've done over a thousand kilometers as is! Great performance, goes like the old fashioned clappers. 45 kilometers to the dealer tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Sounds like somebody pulled a fast one on you and Sold you a car with a blown head gasket

Old 10-21-2020, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
Sounds like somebody pulled a fast one on you and Sold you a car with a blown head gasket
It's possible, of course. I bought the car, sight unseen, from a well known dealer in France. However, since the car is still under Jaguar warrantee, there should be no problem in getting it fixed, says he with fingers crossed. I'm seeing the dealer later today to replace the right front headlight unit that went **** up a week after I bought the car. I've had several modern Jags in France - two S Types, two XFs and a previous XE. The dealer in Limoges has never argued about fixing things under warrantee. I'm getting to old now to get down and dirty with fixing cars. Thankfully I can now afford to buy and sell cars that are still under warrantee. I'll check in with results of the visit today.

The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by stuhillman
It's possible, of course. I bought the car, sight unseen, from a well known dealer in France. However, since the car is still under Jaguar warrantee, there should be no problem in getting it fixed, says he with fingers crossed. I'm seeing the dealer later today to replace the right front headlight unit that went **** up a week after I bought the car. I've had several modern Jags in France - two S Types, two XFs and a previous XE. The dealer in Limoges has never argued about fixing things under warrantee. I'm getting to old now to get down and dirty with fixing cars. Thankfully I can now afford to buy and sell cars that are still under warrantee. I'll check in with results of the visit today.
Oh hell yeah! If you’ve got a warranty get that sucker fixed! I once got taken for a ride with a used car when the engine blew shortly after purchase and yeah I come to find out that they jumpered the oil pressure switch on the motor so that the light wouldn’t come on. pissed me off

Old 10-22-2020, 04:08 AM

Well, I drove 45 kilometers to the Jag dealer in Limoges with an appointment to replace the faulty headlight and replace both door seals on the passenger side doors as, evidently, they had become partially detached. So far so good. The headlight they ordered was for the wrong side so they couldn't do that - I suppose they don't bother to check when the spare parts come in from "Jaguar Central" that they are the correct ones. No they wait until the customer is there before opening the bloody box. I asked them to check the leak in the coolant and, after returning the keys, the service writer said there isn't a leak the reservoir is full. Partly my fault as I had topped it up rather than drive around with a reduced amount of coolant. She seemed oblivious to the fact that she had just called me a liar. Anyway, after a heated discussion she fetched the mechanic who had worked on the car. At least he was willing to listen and appreciated that I actually had some knowledge of how the car worked - I have been driving Jags, through thick and thin for 50 years - so, next week, I will go back to have the headlight fixed and a compression test! So frustrating having to deal with these incompetent folks. You may not know that, in France, customer service is unheard of and anyone in any sort of position of power, such as the service writer, are totally arrogant and treat the "customer" as obvious idiots who know nothing whatever about the subject. More to come.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:36 AM

Would you believe the “problem” was a faulty pressure cap on the coolant reservoir! Took the experts at the Jaguar dealer two days to figure that out. Do we have confidence in their diagnostic ability? NOT.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by stuhillman
Would you believe the “problem” was a faulty pressure cap on the coolant reservoir! Took the experts at the Jaguar dealer two days to figure that out. Do we have confidence in their diagnostic ability? NOT.
I wouldn't have much confidence now, because they need to explain how a pressure cap defect makes the coolant go muddy. However, if the problem is cured, this is a new one I must remember !!