XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Mina Gallery Intake Kit fo XE, 5 stars

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 08:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah... actually had one of the cones come off on a drive shortly after I posted... A little alarming to think what might get into the engine. I think I've got it solved this time, but I will be lifting the hood up and checking for the next several drives.

I do like the sound. Normal conditions its barely noticeable, but when you get after it... its just fun. And the car does feel faster...

This afternoon I'll be doing my own DIY Oil change and likely open a separate thread. Was surprised to find very little on here (or other jag forums) on the subject for XE's. Fortunately our friends w/ XF's and F-type's have shared enough for me to figure it out. Pump arrived yesterday!

The following users liked this post:
Murla (02-12-2021)
Old 12-11-2020, 03:48 PM
CSL
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

My problem was the hose clamp, hasn't fallen off since. But yes-- it would be smart to check every now and then and make sure air is being filtered lol.

The car does seem a bit more perky but I doubt the butt dyno would feel a difference. Maybe what we're feeling is the colder weather?

Let me know how that oil change goes. I read about the vacuum pumps on the F-Type forum and wanted to get it done soon. Which one did you get?

Old 12-11-2020, 07:00 PM

I don't know... maybe its the new sound track, but it feels faster. Mina Gallery claims 9-11 HP at the wheels. Feels like it to me. I plan to take it out to the local drag in a week or two and see if I can beat last year's record. (1/4 mile at 13.06... since those runs I've put on high-flow cats, the mina parts in this thread & UHP tires.)

The oil change was a bit of an ordeal, but only because I made a few rookie mistakes. It should have been much easier than what I made it to be. I'll open a new thread about it later with all the gory details.

The following users liked this post:
CSL (12-11-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 03:44 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,156 Likes on 1,445 Posts

I’ve had decent success with a MityVac on the F-type.

Old 12-13-2020, 01:35 PM
CSL

Originally Posted by DJS
I’ve had decent success with a MityVac on the F-type.
Hey DJS, did you buy a manual MityVac?

Old 12-13-2020, 01:37 PM
CSL

Never mind just saw your response on the other thread lol.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:00 AM
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Anyone remove the original ducting from on top of the radiator support and running to the old boxes? Seems like it would free up a little space on the front side of the engine and shave a couple of pounds...

Old 12-14-2020, 11:41 AM

Hey @OldGuy1 -- I did actually think about that. I did remove one piece of it (the one attached directly to the airbox circled in blue below), but kept the part that attaches to just under the hood... The weight of the remaining parts really is minimal and when the car is underway it still redirects airflow to where the new filters are. Everything above the red line is what gets replaced by the parts below it (per side.)

The following 2 users liked this post by D0gv0m1t:
DJS (12-15-2020), OldGuy1 (12-14-2020)
Old 01-31-2021, 03:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed 2 conned filters no acceleration

Originally Posted by Austin7
I installed this today, sounds and performs great! Its the air intake y-tube sold at this site:

https://www.minagallery.com/xe-performance-items/

There is a pretty long thread in the F-Type section on the Mina gallery Intake Kit for the F-type, but this is a different mandrel- bent model that's a perfect fit in my XE 3.5t.
Installation was bolt-on, all parts included (I added a 1 1/2 inch hose clamp to the pressure hose nipple because I'm **** that way, probably overkill...)

I did notice the factory original intake goes from a round outlet at the airbox, changes to an oval-shaped conduit until it reaches the "Y", then re-converts to circular to the engine. All with expandable (ridged) connections.

This new pipe has way less constriction, and sounds a little better at the intake, IMHO.

BTW: K&N has a pair of filters for this 3.5T, so I installed those as well a few weeks back before this install.

The overall result is better sound and "maybe" better throttle response. Manufacturer claims 8-13 WHP gain, not sure I feel that, but I'm already tuned to 419 with the VAP tune. It certainly won't hurt, and looks great.

I installed 2 conned filters sounds Awsome but I lost all acceleration now I have a major hesitation from 0-60. Any ideas

Old 01-31-2021, 09:15 AM
Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Micah Bernard
I installed 2 conned filters sounds Awsome but I lost all acceleration now I have a major hesitation from 0-60. Any ideas
Like I mentioned earlier, unless you wall off the cone filters so they only draw cold air (difficult proposition), you will be inviting power loss by drawing hotter air into your engine, instead of cold air routed from the centered cold air intake area formed by the hood and the intake snorkels centered under the hood shroud when closed. This is exacerbated when you are stopped at a light, where the under the hood air gets hotter and hotter while still. This will result in poor performance off the line.

Do you have a shroud between each the cone filters and the hot engine air? If not, I believe this is the reason for power loss after the addition of the cones. You may realize a little more air coming in, but if its hot air its robbing more power than you gain.

Oldguy1, I would keep all ducting so you still draw in cold air. Ever notice how much better your car runs if the temperature falls 20 degrees? Same concept. Colder air yields higher compression resulting in more power, 100 pct of the time. This is why Jaguar engineers came up with this strange, convoluted cold-air intake design.

I went with the K&N pleated filters so I would keep the cold air, and still realize some restriction elimination. Worked well for me.

https://www.knfilters.com/jaguar/xe/3.0l-v6-gas/2017/

Last edited by Austin7; 01-31-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just cone filters

so I should do away with the cones and leave factory air boxes get K&N filters,Y pipe and remove the factory air ducts ?

Originally Posted by Austin7
I installed this today,

sounds and performs great! Its the air intake y-tube sold at this site:

https://www.minagallery.com/xe-performance-items/

There is a pretty long thread in the F-Type section on the Mina gallery Intake Kit for the F-type, but this is a different mandrel- bent model that's a perfect fit in my XE 3.5t.
Installation was bolt-on, all parts included (I added a 1 1/2 inch hose clamp to the pressure hose nipple because I'm **** that way, probably overkill...)

I did notice the factory original intake goes from a round outlet at the airbox, changes to an oval-shaped conduit until it reaches the "Y", then re-converts to circular to the engine. All with expandable (ridged) connections.

This new pipe has way less constriction, and sounds a little better at the intake, IMHO.

BTW: K&N has a pair of filters for this 3.5T, so I installed those as well a few weeks back before this install.

The overall result is better sound and "maybe" better throttle response. Manufacturer claims 8-13 WHP gain, not sure I feel that, but I'm already tuned to 419 with the VAP tune. It certainly won't hurt, and looks great.

Old 01-31-2021, 01:29 PM
CSL

I have the full Mina Gallery kit with heat shields-- though I haven't measured IATs, I can confirm that my 0-60 has not suffered at all, even with continuous runs.

Adding the TCU tune made me have more consistent runs (my best has been post TCU tune). And though I can't attribute any benefits besides aesthetics and sound (I haven't dyno'd), in my case performance has not taken a hit from the mod.

My initial thought was probably a disconnected or dirty MAF.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:24 AM
Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Micah, that's what worked for me (stock cold air intake plus K$N filters in the OEM filter location). CSL also reports good results with cones...but his Cone kit from Mina Gallery (includes the Y pipe) DID come with some shrouding to prevent the cones from pulling hot air directly off the engine.

If you are looking for 24/7 growl, the cones are better. If you'd prefer a purr at idle and a roar at WOT, go with the factory boxes and OEM cold-air routing. The Mina Yallery Y pipe also adds some supercharger whine along with bling. ( IMHO that Mina Y pipe looks a lot better than shield wrapped wrapped plastic). I also feel the heat gained at the Y-pipe is very minimal, so I did not wrap that area as you did. I DID remove the large plastic engine cover, which facilitates faster heat dissipation radiating from the top and will save you some LBS.

Have you tuned your car yet?

Last edited by Austin7; 02-01-2021 at 11:43 AM.