XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Missing model name on tailgate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 06:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Missing model name on tailgate?

This is my first post here (except introduction) and sorry if I asking something that is already answered somewhere (I tried to search this forum section, but without luck).

Well, I actively looking for one XE to buy and currently in doubt between two white samples in R-Sport trim - one is AWD, but not so rich with additional equipment (2017 year), other is not AWD, but much better equipped (2016 year). And right now I'm closer to buy non-AWD variant, because additional equipment that it brings is pretty important to me (led daylights, parking assistance, camera, navigation etc.).

However, one thing that really bothers me regarding non-AWD version - there is no model name, i.e. 20d on tailgate!?
The reason why I'm asking is because I never saw here at marketplace neither one other XE without model designation at the back, so my concern is that car was maybe damaged and repaired. Is my suspicion justified?
If I decide for this car, I will take a professional to take a look, of course, but really would like to get some information in advance, if possible!? Because, I know that some other premium brands (like Audi or Mercedes) also omitting model name in some cases, but I'm not sure does Jag also prefer such practice in some cases?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:46 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The car may have been ordered without a badge. It's an option called "badge delete", and the car's VIN may be able to tell you if that's the case.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 03:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Stojan,

As tellcarl states, "badge delete" is a Jaguar option. For example, on my XK the "Signature" badge was such an option which the original buyer did not have fitted. The VIN does not give this level of detailed information but it will be included in the Full Vehicle Specification available from a Jaguar Dealer.

Badge or no badge, I would take the opportuntity to have a used Jaguar potential purchase inspected unless you have personal experience of the marque and model.

Graham

tellcarl (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 06:32 AM

Thank you very much guys, you helped me a lot! Good to know that this option exists for Jaguar cars (like for some other premium brand)... Now I will schedule test drive and of course I will take VIN and check car's history at official dealer.

Graham, what do you meant by "Full Vehicle Specification"? Is that basically when I took car's VIN, send to Jaguar Dealer and simply asks for car's history, as also some general information about car? Do I need to emphasize something to the dealer to get this "Full Vehicle Specification" or this check is less or more standardize?
Btw, how much it will cost me approximately (UK or US prices are fine, just to have feeling about it)?

Originally Posted by GGG
Badge or no badge, I would take the opportuntity to have a used Jaguar potential purchase inspected unless you have personal experience of the marque and model.
Will do, Graham. I have no experience at all, so I will definitely need a help of experienced technician for Jaguar brand (in Serbia that's probably only official dealer, which is in other city for me, but it is what it is). When I definitely decide what to buy, if I get a chance (and time) I will post here at forum for opinions about choice that I made.

tellcarl (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 07:37 AM

Graham is right on all counts. I think a dealer in Serbia would have access to the original window sticker(or the online equivalent), which would list the badge delete. I also agree with having the car inspected, but this is true of any luxury vehicle. My 2018 XE has been completely reliable and honestly, one of the best cars I've ever owned.

stojan.jovic (04-28-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 05:30 PM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by stojan.jovic
...... Graham, what do you meant by "Full Vehicle Specification"? Is that basically when I took car's VIN, send to Jaguar Dealer and simply asks for car's history, as also some general information about car? Do I need to emphasize something to the dealer to get this "Full Vehicle Specification" or this check is less or more standardize?
Btw, how much it will cost me approximately (UK or US prices are fine, just to have feeling about it)? ......
As an example, this is the Vehicle Specification printout for my 2007 XK. A Jaguar Dealer can lookup any (recent) Jaguar specification like this using the VIN:

As you can see, it goes into a lot of detail. In addition, if the vehicle has been serviced within the dealer network, the service history would also be available.

In the UK most dealers will do this specification lookup free of charge if you own the vehicle. Data Protection regulations have made them more cautious about releasing it for a vehicle you do not own.

Graham

Old 04-27-2021, 02:15 PM

Thank you very much, Graham, this is very useful.
I will probably ask seller to get me this specification from the official dealer during car inspection (though, it would be very useful to get this before I really decide to pay for car inspection and make purchase).

Originally Posted by tellcarl
Graham is right on all counts. I think a dealer in Serbia would have access to the original window sticker(or the online equivalent), which would list the badge delete. I also agree with having the car inspected, but this is true of any luxury vehicle. My 2018 XE has been completely reliable and honestly, one of the best cars I've ever owned.
Sorry for bothering further, but what is "original window sticker" (or its online equivalent)? I found this term in the few threads here on forum, but could not conclude what's about (except that it somehow identifies the specific car, like VIN itself)?

Btw, great to hear that XEs are reliable (I would not expect nothing less from these new Jaguars), however, I'm not sure does that also applies to diesel variants, i.e. 20d with 180 PS (i.e. the one that I'm looking for)?!

Last edited by stojan.jovic; 04-27-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:16 PM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

The window sticker is a paper label, stuck inside the window of all new cars in the US (by law) giving full details of the car, its engine, equipment and options, plus their full retail prices, reported fuel consumption under standard test conditions, VIN and other valuable information. Dealers are required by law to display this sticker on all new cars for sale, and it is now normal also for a reproduction of this sticker to appear online alongside listings of new cars for sale.
This makes it very easy to browse new car stock, both in person and online, and be certain about what exactly you are getting. Unfortunately no other countries (with the possible exception of Canada) require this, so you cannot easily browse stock in the same way, without quizzing the sales person, who anyway may or may not know all the details of the cars in stock at the dealership.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:48 PM

What chrisjp said. And I would expect the diesel engine is at least as reliable as the petrol/gas engine, but I can't speak from experience.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:57 AM

@chrisjp @tellcarl Got it! Thank you very much, guys!

One last question on this subject - is "badge delete" option also applicable for model name (i.e. XE) besides motor designation (e.g. 20d)? And does people pays for this "feature" (i.e. when they require badge delete)?