XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Music on USB stick

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Music on USB stick

I have all my music in MP3 format on a USB stick with album art embedded in every file, however when I play the music in my 2019 Jaguar XE the art that shows up is not the album cover that is embedded in the MP3 file and sometimes has nothing to do with the music - for example it can just be a random person playing a guitar.

How do I force it to show the album art embed in the file it is playing ?

Old 09-08-2023, 04:49 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't think you can force this. The Jag system ignores the album art embedded in the file and sources the art from one of the web data bases (I think Jag uses Gracenote). When it can't find the right art it substitutes a generic picture - like your random person playing a guitar.
This is irritating but, so far, I've not found any way around this.

Old 09-08-2023, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do they go to the trouble of paying somebody like Gracenote to provide a service that irritates most of their customers ? It is simple to write code that displays the album art embedded in MP3 files and does not waste internet bandwidth downloading something I do not want. Is anybody from Jaguar reading this who can get about a dozen lines of simple code written into the software to use embedded album art whenever it is present?

Old 09-08-2023, 06:45 PM
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorne
Why do they go to the trouble of paying somebody like Gracenote to provide a service that irritates most of their customers ?
A large manufacturer of anything has to make decisions that apply across the board, sometimes they're good decisions and sometimes they're not.. but once a company (particularly a manufacturer) decides to do things a certain way, that's how it does it until someone within the company sees value in spending the money to make the change. In this case they've decided to use Gracenote, so that's what we get.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by Lorne
Is anybody from Jaguar reading this who can get about a dozen lines of simple code written
The answer to that is no, as I doubt Jag is likely to just whip up some code for a post on a forum. You could try contacting Jaguar's head office in your country, I've contacted them a couple of times and they've been helpful.. I was asking for service histories rather than telling them what I don't like about their car though, so YMMV

You could always hack your car, write the code yourself, then give it to Jag so they can improve their system 🤷

Last edited by dangoesfast; 09-09-2023 at 01:11 AM.