XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

My first post here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My first post here.

First of all hello. I hope this is the start of a new group. I have been driving Audi's for a while. My beloved 2014 S4 met an unfortunate end last weekend. I have had numerous Audi's and a MB and am looking for something different. I saw a XE add on TV and stopped by a dealer in West Los Angeles to check the cars out. I drove a black XE R Sport and was very impressed. The sales guy told me to push the car which I was happy to do. Very nice drive train. Strong power and smooth delivery. I really liked the ride, sound and feel. Certainly some fun could be had driving the R Sport. I also liked the interior. Well designed and quite attractive. I love the four door sport sedan but also drove a Porsche Macan S. Which was solid but still felt a bit hunky. The Porsche is also more expensive. Tomorrow I am going back to the Jaguar dealer for another ride and may be coming home with the R Sport. I have a couple of reservation about the car. Reliability is something I desire and don't have a lot of time for dealing with getting a car fixed. I want the 20" wheels for the looks. The 19" silver Venoms wheels are a bit to luxury car for me. In any case if I move forward there will be another post. Best to all.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck...sorry 'bout the Audi. I'm also on the fence about the XE...I currently have a '15 C-400 and the XE has peaked my attention. I'm not familiar with Jag reliability and so I've been reading thru this forum to get some feedback. I hope you get a good deal...

Old 06-10-2016, 08:44 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

> I'm not familiar with Jag reliability

Jaguar's had rightful problems with reliability "back in the day" (i.e., through the late 80s). But that all changed when they were acquired by Ford Motors. Ford brought "resources" to the table, which traditional Jaguar did not have, allowing full product development, testing, and product support. Ford funded cars proved to be very reliable. That was continued under TATA, the new owner, with the cars based on Ford sponsorship (i.e., the XJ, original XF, which was basically a re-bodied S-Type, and the XK).

Hopefully that will continue with new TATA developed cars. TATA has significant resources and considers Jaguar to be a "halo" brand so things look good.

In the past Jaguar was a small independent company trying to compete against bigger competitors right during the midst of the energy and emissions crisis of the '70s. Those times were challenging for everybody but particularly for a company short on resources. Jaguar "failed" was acquired by a larger company that didn't really care so things were bleak.

Ford stepped in and saved the day, but the reputation for reliability problems was already well established...
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Current Mine: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

The following users liked this post:
NYC-Style (06-11-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, the two petrol engines have been around for a while and have hopefully had most of their growing pains shaken out already. The 25t engine in particular is a Ford Ecoboost model that's appeared in over a dozen different cars.

The chassis and suspension though are all new so long term reliability remains to be seen.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch, sorry about the S4!! I have a '14 A5 S-line that i am coming from and just today ordered a XE R-Sport from the dealer. I had looked at the possibility of the new S4, but timing won't work out. I also looked very hard at the MB C450 AMG or i guess now the C43 AMG. For the money and performance of the XE, i couldn't pass it up.

Good luck with your decision!!

Old 06-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Modern Jaguars are very, very reliable (check the DJ power initial quality reports: Jaguar is way ahead of Audi, BMW and Mercedes and second only to Porsche in having the fewest warranty claims - and Jaguar does no advertising of this). A real-life example of Jaguar reliability: my wife is in year 12 of daily use of her X-Type sedan, manual shift. The car sits outside 24 hours a day. In 12 years we have had ONE repair, if I can even call it a repair: replacement of two oxygen sensors. The car never missed a beat and it is and always has been a delight to own and drive. The XE is entirely different, but in a sense replaces the X-Type as the "entry level" Jaguar.
As an addendum, we have owned many Jaguars, always several at a time - 4 at present, all with the same excellent reliability record. In fact, they have been unfailingly reliable, while my (now happily gone) BMW was a disaster.

The following users liked this post:
NYC-Style (06-11-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

With reliability I had the XF from when it first came out in 2008 (a few issues in the first year - seatbelt recall and some issues with the sunroof seal - but I think that they rushed them out back then, then 4 years trouble free), another XF 2011 for a year with no issues, and an XKR for a bit over 2 years with no issues save for an active headlamp module that gave an error message and was fixed under warranty.

We have had the XE 25T for 7 months and have had no issues, it has about 5000km on it. It is an awesome car. I have only had the f type for a couple of months but no issues there either.

I have the 19" venoms on my wife's XE. They are nice wheels and easy to clean, the ride is good with them as well. I prefer the 20" propellers myself.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Regarding reliability, I have had three Jags, now the F type R and have a XE Sport on order.. no issues, all good.
Lawrence

Old 06-11-2016, 02:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, do I love this car. Picked up a 2017 XE R Sport. Ultimate black on black interior. Car runs very stron and the handling is impressive. Electronic interface is seamless and this car has tons of great features. I guess I got lucky as I walked into the dealer on Monday not knowing much about the car and drove it home Friday. A couple of not great photos.

The following 2 users liked this post by Joearch:
BruceTheQuail (06-11-2016), Fair2 (06-11-2016)