XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

New 2017 XE 35t R Sport owner , need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2017 XE 35t R Sport owner , need advice

Ended up going for this with 2017 XE 35t R Sport with 102000 km. Most definitely an impulse buy decision. Located in Ontario Canada if it matters.

Did I mess up getting a high mileage Jaguar?

The vehicle has good service history and seemed to be in nice condition. Was bought and serviced at the same dealership all its life. Planning on contacting them tomorrow to get an idea of previous owner(s).

Really don’t know where to start as this is my first Jag/luxury sedan.

Aware of the coolant pipe issues with this model year and supercharger coupler. How easy are these to deal with?

What are some other things I should be looking at to have an enjoyable ownership experience going forward?

Open to hear all suggestions!

Old 06-26-2023, 08:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Daku,

Congratulations on becoming an XE owner! That's a really good looking car with all black trim on red. I also have a 2017 XE 35t R Sport with around 68k miles (110k km). Pretty much with the exception of coolant system issues this car has been very reliable.

If the coolant pipes have not been replaced already I would plan on replacing them soon, preferably on your schedule and not when they randomly fail at some very inconvenient time. If you want to tackle it yourself this post https://classicairheads.com/blog/202...r-replacement/ from gfp@classicairheads.com(thank you GFP!!) helped me out no end when I had to replace my coolant pipe(s). I know it's for the F-Type but nearly all of it applies. I wish I'd have done the rear crossover heater pipe (p/n AJ814053) at the same time I did the one under the supercharger. My supercharger has been off twice now. It does take some time (at least for me) to get the supercharger off carefully and I would recommend either using an engine hoist to lift it off or a friend to help. There were some brackets on the back of the supercharger that I learned after the first time that I could have left on and saved some time since the bolts were really awkward to get to. This may be a good time to consider proactively replacing the s/c coupler, oil service the s/c described in GFP's post (I haven't done this yet). The last time I have the s/c off I also spent some time cleaning off the intake valve stems (since this is a direct injection engine they build up some gunk).

I did notice that the coolant level looks low in the photo so it might be getting to that time already. I would try pressure testing the coolant system soon.

One coolant system mod I made on mine was to eliminate the little plastic connector that comes out of the front of the water pump by drilling and tapping it and putting in a threaded fitting. I was getting a little fluid leaking from this point.

Car has been a lot of fun to own though, coolant challenges aside. I have the VAP pulley mod and tune on mine for about 4 years now and really like the extra power you get from that tune.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

Last edited by fireblader929; 06-26-2023 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Daku (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by fireblader929
Hi Daku,

Congratulations on becoming an XE owner! That's a really good looking car with all black trim on red. I also have a 2017 XE 35t R Sport with around 68k miles (110k km). Pretty much with the exception of coolant system issues this car has been very reliable.

If the coolant pipes have not been replaced already I would plan on replacing them soon, preferably on your schedule and not when they randomly fail at some very inconvenient time. If you want to tackle it yourself this post https://classicairheads.com/blog/202...r-replacement/ from gfp@classicairheads.com(thank you GFP!!) helped me out no end when I had to replace my coolant pipe(s). I know it's for the F-Type but nearly all of it applies. I wish I'd have done the rear crossover heater pipe (p/n AJ814053) at the same time I did the one under the supercharger. My supercharger has been off twice now. It does take some time (at least for me) to get the supercharger off carefully and I would recommend either using an engine hoist to lift it off or a friend to help. There were some brackets on the back of the supercharger that I learned after the first time that I could have left on and saved some time since the bolts were really awkward to get to. This may be a good time to consider proactively replacing the s/c coupler, oil service the s/c described in GFP's post (I haven't done this yet). The last time I have the s/c off I also spent some time cleaning off the intake valve stems (since this is a direct injection engine they build up some gunk).

I did notice that the coolant level looks low in the photo so it might be getting to that time already. I would try pressure testing the coolant system soon.

One coolant system mod I made on mine was to eliminate the little plastic connector that comes out of the front of the water pump by drilling and tapping it and putting in a threaded fitting. I was getting a little fluid leaking from this point.

Car has been a lot of fun to own though, coolant challenges aside. I have the VAP pulley mod and tune on mine for about 4 years now and really like the extra power you get from that tune.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

fireblader929 thanks a lot for your reply! Had fun doing a deep dive in the kinks. Also glad to hear you own the same car and enjoying it!! Got lucky with the red, the original owner spec’ed it out perfectly.

Also yikes to hear that I will have to deal with the coolant pipe issue soon but I’m ready to rip off the bandaid.

I certainly won’t be performing any of the work myself mainly due to lack of experience and time.

Will be looking to get coolant pipe replacement (aware that SC has to come off). And while there like you mentioned, might as well do the coupler and oil service.

Stoked you mentioned the VAP tune as that was my eventual goal in a year or so, but that being said if the SC is coming off, I am thinking of getting it all done in one go and upgrade the pulleys as well.

Besides the part costs, any idea what ballpark labor hours to expect for all the above work?

Old 06-27-2023, 12:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm really not too sure... I think knowing what I know now I think I can probably do this in a day (8hrs)...maybe then an extra couple of hours for the supercharge oil change and couple change. I've never been able to work just on this without interruptions which is why I'm not totally sure. Perhaps someone that took their car to a Jaguar dealer for this work can provide the standard quoted shop hours.

Daku (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 06:08 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats on your new Jag! It is a wonderful, wonderful car. I have 65,000 trouble free miles on mine. I have the stage 1 VAP tune and love it. Again no issues. Question: Is the black roof paint or a wrap?

As others have said, the cooling pipes are the weak bit so I am saving my pennies for the cooling pipe upgrade as well. Hope to do it late this year or early next. Then Stage 2 or 3!!!!!!

Daku (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldGuy1
Congrats on your new Jag! It is a wonderful, wonderful car. I have 65,000 trouble free miles on mine. I have the stage 1 VAP tune and love it. Again no issues. Question: Is the black roof paint or a wrap?

As others have said, the cooling pipes are the weak bit so I am saving my pennies for the cooling pipe upgrade as well. Hope to do it late this year or early next. Then Stage 2 or 3!!!!!!
I'll be picking up the car this weekend so will know then haha. Didn't pay too close of attention when I went to drive it. Glad to hear you are enjoying your tune! Do you have any other upgrades done beside the tune? And what's the quoted gains if you don't mind me asking.

Old 06-27-2023, 09:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

VAP’s stage 1 tune (ECU tune only) takes the V6 to 415-420HP (I don’t remember the exact number) and raises the redline by a few hundred RPM (I have this.) Stage 2 (ECU + crank pulley) is around 450HP, many on the F-type forum have that. Very little benefit to changing the upper SC pulley on the V6.

VAP also has an E85 tune which, with pulley, is around 550HP. But you can only run E85 with that.

Many threads on the F-type forum about VAP tunes, as it’s the same AJ126 V6 engine in the F-type and XE.

Old 06-29-2023, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Just under 64k UK miles is hardly a high miler ! Plenty of life left in that car, I would think. My own 2017 XE 20d AWD Portfolio is now on 51k, and so far all is well, (knock on wood !!). My only advice is to always change the oil and filter at around 10k miles, not the 21k or 2 yearly Jaguar recommendation. Essentially this means a service in between the regular Jaguar services. With this, I get our UK MOT test done at the same time, The MOT is a roadworthiness test madatory when the the car becomes three years old