XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

New purchase: 17' XE R-Sport 35t

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashish Aggarwal
Delivered you mean manually remove the calipers and deliver to the shop?
And I don't understand the rebuilding the calipers. Can you please give me insight to that also?

If I choose to paint them can they apply Jaguar decals?
Sorry for asking so many questions. I am totally new to the cars and I found it so much interesting 😁
Yes, I mean delivering the calipers to the powder coating shop. They will need to be removed from the car. They have to dissemble the caliper to powder coat it. The caliper will then need to be reassembled (by you usually). Have the powder coating shop explain this to you. They would apply the decal. The level of service the powder coating shops offer could vary widely. Do you have a mechanic would take off the calipers? A local Jag indy shop I am customer of is just down the street from the powder coating place. I have never done this; just going on by what the owner of the Jag shop says the process is.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I dont understand what the fellow was talking about with redoing the calipers, but powdercoating can take a while because again the secret is in the prep - you have to give the stuff an acid bath first, if it is done quickly it might not adhere, then there are another few steps and if they arent done properly it can peel as well. A week sounds like a long time though. But because I was intrigued I just googled it and came across a mention in an R8 forum as follows

Help!!!! Be careful when powder coating calipers

Guys, I would like to share my mistake with all of you, so you can avoid the same issues I am having with my brakes, I took the car to a decent shop that I know, with apparently tons of good reputation, I asked them to powder coat the stock black calipers since I think in Red they look better, that was 2 or 3 months ago. I noticed the color has been changing a lot, now they are not red anymore, but even worse is that the brakes aren't anymore strong as they used to be in combination with yellow pagids for the track, and the reason is because the people from that shop aren't professionals at all, they never took apart the pistons from the calipers, nor the seals or anything, they painted and put them in the oven, so today this morning I asked the dealer to check the brakes, they took apart the calipers and guess what? the red paint was all over the seals and because of the heat they were all cooked front and rear, the bad part is that the dealer is telling me that each set of seals is about $700.00....My question to you is, are these seals that expensive? I know our stock calipers are Brembo's, can i try to find the seals directly with them? or does anyone know where to order a seal kit replacement for R8 calipers? where do I find the freaking seals?
Please be careful where you send your calipers for powder coating!
You have disassemble the calipers before powder coating then rebuild them after (new gaskets, etc...)

Old 07-24-2019, 09:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Gooday. On painting them on the car, I mean they can do them without removing the caliper sorry. I've had it done twice. Once was with the caliper paint (spray) which cage a pretty good result, it held on nicely through I did see a flake or two. The second was with the G2 product which is essentially brush on with a foam pad. That wasnt a bad result either. I think the cost was actually about $200 - $250, you are only paying for their time as the paint itself doesnt cost much. With spray you'd need 2 of the small cans to do maybe 3 coats. With the G2 product one kit should be enough. I'm talking Australian dollars but I'd have thought it would be cheaper in the US.

The secret is in the prep. Mosesbotbol makes a good suggestion above with filing them as the metal is a bit rough and that does continue to show after they are painted. Also, filing would help get the grease and oil off the caliper to help the paint bite. I wouldnt put the decals on for a while after they have been painted, but the ebay style decals go on fine.

I dont understand what the fellow was talking about with redoing the calipers, but powdercoating can take a while because again the secret is in the prep - you have to give the stuff an acid bath first, if it is done quickly it might not adhere, then there are another few steps and if they arent done properly it can peel as well. A week sounds like a long time though. But because I was intrigued I just googled it and came across a mention in an R8 forum as follows

Help!!!! Be careful when powder coating calipers

Guys, I would like to share my mistake with all of you, so you can avoid the same issues I am having with my brakes, I took the car to a decent shop that I know, with apparently tons of good reputation, I asked them to powder coat the stock black calipers since I think in Red they look better, that was 2 or 3 months ago. I noticed the color has been changing a lot, now they are not red anymore, but even worse is that the brakes aren't anymore strong as they used to be in combination with yellow pagids for the track, and the reason is because the people from that shop aren't professionals at all, they never took apart the pistons from the calipers, nor the seals or anything, they painted and put them in the oven, so today this morning I asked the dealer to check the brakes, they took apart the calipers and guess what? the red paint was all over the seals and because of the heat they were all cooked front and rear, the bad part is that the dealer is telling me that each set of seals is about $700.00....My question to you is, are these seals that expensive? I know our stock calipers are Brembo's, can i try to find the seals directly with them? or does anyone know where to order a seal kit replacement for R8 calipers? where do I find the freaking seals?
Please be careful where you send your calipers for powder coating!
Thank you so much for the detailed post.
I think I will choose the normal paint instead of powder coating the calipers.
Now there is only one thing I am confused of
My car color is Italian Red and how can I match the calipers color to that color? I think the normal paint spray that you used or G2 color that I have searched for will not match to Italian Red and it will look a bit weird.
What color you have on the car and which one you painted on calipers?
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2019, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Yes, I mean delivering the calipers to the powder coating shop. They will need to be removed from the car. They have to dissemble the caliper to powder coat it. The caliper will then need to be reassembled (by you usually). Have the powder coating shop explain this to you. They would apply the decal. The level of service the powder coating shops offer could vary widely. Do you have a mechanic would take off the calipers? A local Jag indy shop I am customer of is just down the street from the powder coating place. I have never done this; just going on by what the owner of the Jag shop says the process is.
Thanks for explaining about the the powder coating.
I am gonna go with paint as I have seen so many videos all day about that.
Seems like paint also looks nice and stays for years.
Any suggestions which color will look nice on calipers with Italian Red Car?
Any photos you can share will be helpful.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Hi, yes someone on the F Type forum mentioned that their OCD was triggered by the red calipers not matching the IRR paint. To be honest I am a little OCD myself, I have a IRR F type with standard red calipers and the difference has never caught my eye. I am taking delivery of a firenze red XE on Monday with red calipers, I could probably tell you then whether it is an issue but I doubt it would be.

The colour of your calipers depends on the colour of your wheels. If they are silver (propellers or venoms), then red or black would look great, yellow too (though I am always suss of the grime showing up on yellow calipers). If you have black wheels, I'd go red, yellow, or silver in that order. Silver seems to be a waste to me as the calipers are pretty silver-y to start with. I had grey on my XKR and painted over them because they looked drab.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 07-24-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

IRR with red calipers

Old 07-24-2019, 11:42 PM

Hi, yes someone on the F Type forum mentioned that their OCD was triggered by the red calipers not matching the IRR paint. To be honest I am a little OCD myself, I have a IRR F type with standard red calipers and the difference has never caught my eye. I am taking delivery of a firenze red XE on Monday with red calipers, I could probably tell you then whether it is an issue but I doubt it would be.

The colour of your calipers depends on the colour of your wheels. If they are silver (propellers or venoms), then red or black would look great, yellow too (though I am always suss of the grime showing up on yellow calipers). If you have black wheels, I'd go red, yellow, or silver in that order. Silver seems to be a waste to me as the calipers are pretty silver-y to start with. I had grey on my XKR and painted over them because they looked drab.
I have attached the pictures of my car in this post

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post2103691

I think red will look fine right?
And there will not be a big difference in the color also

Old 07-24-2019, 11:47 PM

IRR with red calipers

Your car looks great.
I also had this idea about tinting the roof of my car black.
I was bit confused about that but looking at your car color combination, my car will also look nice.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Your car looks beautiful. IRR is the best colour for Jags IMHO but I am biased. I wanted an XKR in that colour, I got the first XE in that colour, and my F Type, now the new XE is in that colour (now called Firenze). I would definitely go red, with those black wheels. G2 does have a colour matching option G2 Brake Caliper Paint Systems: G2 Custom Color Match Brake Caliper Paint

If that doesnt work, I'd get standard red. I'm not sure where you are based but when I got the G2 product sent to Australia they couldnt send the cleaning product for some reason but they can send the paint.

The wrap on the roof and A and C pillars is a very cheap and effective mod, it flattens out the roof line and makes the car look lower and wider (and meaner). I love it on my car though not everyone on the F Type forum was a fan. Everyone who sees it in person loves it, even my missus who was initially rolling her eyes when I said I wanted to do it.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ashish Aggarwal
Thanks for explaining about the the powder coating.
I am gonna go with paint as I have seen so many videos all day about that.
Seems like paint also looks nice and stays for years.
Any suggestions which color will look nice on calipers with Italian Red Car?
Any photos you can share will be helpful.
Make sure you mask off the brake pads and that metal clip that runs along the caliper. I would paint them black, silver, or metallic grey.