XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Poor man's Project 8 Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 10:46 AM
Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Poor man's Project 8 Possible?

Seeing as how the 3.0L V6 AJ126 is an AJ133 V8 with two inactive cylinders, does it stand to reason an AJ133 would fit in an all out engine swap?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ers-redundant/

I already considered there would have to be some custom cooling developed for the gained heat (Bigger rad, dedicated cores for the supercharger heat exchanger, better oil cooling maybe, etc)

I found an SVR tuned AJ133 for $20K (575HP)

https://www.ebay.com/i/293635795637?...gaAupvEALw_wcB

A low mileage XE is $24K.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/SAJAD4BVXHA962922

In theory with a good mechanic, and another $10K for labor, new V3 coilovers from K&W, and custom fab, can it be done? Comments welcomed...

(add wider tires, flare fenders for wider tires, brake replacements are all other additional "options", just throw more $$$ at it.... but without visual mods it'd be a hell of a sleeper...}

Last edited by Austin7; 10-25-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:25 PM
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Interesting thought. If the review by Jeremy Clarkson of the Project 8 is accurate, the transmission and the firewall were also modified. You would definitely need to update the brakes as well. Perhaps buying a wrecked donor car, with the heavy duty bits would be the best approach. Regardless, it would be big bucks, but anything can be done if you have enough money.

I look from time to time and a used Project 8 in the US can be had for about $140k-ish. If you got rid of the graphics and the wing (more like the touring) it would be a bit of a sleeper, and you would not have to worry about the integration issues.

Either way it is not for the light of wallet!

If i had insane money to play with, I would go the ingenium straight 6 p400 route. It would be silly fast, with the possibility of tuning to even higher power levels and is lighter than our v6s.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 708 Posts

Since we're talking theory, you'd not only need the engine, but also all the electronics to run it and somebody sharp enough to be able to integrate it with the rest of the computer modules. And then assuming that's not as hard as it sounds, will the State of Texas let you license it for the road? Doesn't matter if you install a magic motor that converts NOX into Shiner Bock , its not 25 years old yet and you didn't pay the millions of dollars to certify that car with that engine. You might have to move to Oklahoma. Would be cool tho.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:24 PM

Nothing is worth moving to Oklahoma.

We did go into a record setting FOUR overtimes this year, the loss still stings....

Hook 'Em!
Originally Posted by pdupler
And then assuming that's not as hard as it sounds, will the State of Texas let you license it for the road? Doesn't matter if you install a magic motor that converts NOX into Shiner Bock , its not 25 years old yet and you didn't pay the millions of dollars to certify that car with that engine. You might have to move to Oklahoma. .

Old 10-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Another way to go is to put our cars on a diet. Even with all the aluminum they are heavy. Things like titanium exhaust, lightweight wheels and rotors, carbon fiber or titanium driveshafts, reduced trim and sound deadening bits under the hood, would help the car's handling and 0-60. With the max tune, and exhaust goodies for power and a good diet, we would make a car that would hunt most BMWs lol

Old 10-25-2020, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,311 Likes on 902 Posts

Its not 575hp but you can get 450hp out of the supercharged 6 easily, cheaply, and safely with just a pulley and tune. The difference over 380hp is huge. Then I'd expect there would be a way to fit the VAP quad exhaust (back box and pipes) to the XE. The sound from that is insane, really beefs up the note of the 6, almost makes you forget the sweet note of an 8. Then a set of forged wheels would be the go, you could easily go to 21's with decent rubber and not compromise the ride. That makes a huge difference to handling. The only problem is that the wheel arches on the rear are a bit low so you wouldnt be able to go that wide without cutting into the metal, from memory the 285 OEMs from the back of my F Type were too wide for our XE, really the car would look wicked with 305s.

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
mosesbotbol (10-26-2020), Panthro (11-29-2023)
Old 10-25-2020, 03:03 PM

I have the 450Hp VAP tune as well as the Mina Gallery Y intake pipe & K$N's. I've done the resonator delete (sounds friggin wicked, Idles quiet, you get about same idle volume as stock. loud when it fires up. All the crackles and pops I need, in all gears.)

So I'm aware its really, really good at 450Hp. Keep in mind that f-type dyno chart for the tune and pulley from VAP was conducted with only with stock exhaust and filters and measured 450HP (Adj. to crank #'s). Great advice!

My suspension can't currently adaquately handle the available HP, I've gotta get the V3 K&W's installed as soon as I can afford them, that will be a big improvement over just the VAP and the H&R Sport/Lowing springs I have already tried. Stock rebound rates are too slow for those spring only kits, IMHO...lowering the car is an improvement in any case.

Rear tire width is a bottleneck, for sure.

I'm having new plugs installed (snake oil included) next week, after that I'll run her on the ole Mustang 500 Dyno and we'll see what she gets.

https://pulstar.com/how-it-works/

Last edited by Austin7; 10-25-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,311 Likes on 902 Posts

Sweet, well you've done to yours what I have to the F Type. The only other things I have done is the forged wheels and michelins (huuuuuge improvement, best money I've spent on a mod) and put BMC air filters in (get a bit more induction whine, dont think any difference to power but maybe). Keep us posted!

Old 10-25-2020, 08:05 PM

Michelin 4s Baby! Paired with the tune and pulley, it's really satisfying. I need those coilovers even more desperately now...

Funny, I went to Exotic Power and Performance for my Pulley install and tune, where they had a few Ferrari's and Lambos. I look up on the racks and evidently a couple Ferrari owners also thought the Mich. 4S was the way to go. I agree, huge difference in drive-ability!

My friend planted a cold air intake idea I can't shake away from. Like this very well done mod below...On my XE there is a ram intake of sorts, but the air pushes off the radiator shutters. When the shutters open, less pressure.

Last edited by Austin7; 10-25-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:42 AM
CSL
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin7
I have the 450Hp VAP tune as well as the Mina Gallery Y intake pipe & K$N's. I've done the resonator delete (sounds friggin wicked, Idles quiet, you get about same idle volume as stock. loud when it fires up. All the crackles and pops I need, in all gears.)
Hey Austin

I just got the Mina Gallery intake today-- super simple install except the breather hose that came with the kit was a bit too long (kinks when installed) and a tad bit large on the intake tube side. Is this how yours came in? Re: sound change-- I did notice a bit more of the higher pitch whine, though the additional volume wasn't as much as I expected. Maybe because I still have the stock air boxes.

I'll also be doing the resonator delete pretty soon (in the next couple of weeks) so we'll have a similar setup 😎

Old 10-26-2020, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by CSL
Hey Austin

I just got the Mina Gallery intake today-- super simple install except the breather hose that came with the kit was a bit too long (kinks when installed) and a tad bit large on the intake tube side. Is this how yours came in?
I went to the local auto parts store and got a hose clamp for that breather hose on the intake side. And just shorten the hose with a very sharp knife or scissors (measure after the tube is installed in it's final position).
See Pic Here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-stars-237675/

Also, please consider high flow air filters, K&N has a right and left for the XE, by using your original airboxes which have cold (ish) air flow I believe you'll find your best intake air temps and water protection...and I think you'll love the resonator delete. I trust you run without the engine cover on? Removing that also adds supercharger noise...and I've no heat issues with the hood. Saves weight too.

Last edited by Austin7; 10-26-2020 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Michelin 4s Baby! Paired with the tune and pulley, it's really satisfying. I need those coilovers even more desperately now...

Funny, I went to Exotic Power and Performance for my Pulley install and tune, where they had a few Ferrari's and Lambos. I look up on the racks and evidently a couple Ferrari owners also thought the Mich. 4S was the way to go. I agree, huge difference in drive-ability!
Michelin 4s is the tire d'jour for performance cars. Everyone is really up on them big time.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 772 Likes on 390 Posts

My friend planted a cold air intake idea I can't shake away from. Like this very well done mod below...On my XE there is a ram intake of sorts, but the air pushes off the radiator shutters. When the shutters open, less pressure.

gottcha sweating the 510 + HP didn't I?
That image is a stock XKR-S 2014 model.
If you can shed weight you would be shocked how much better everything works...acceleration, corning, braking, but it is a street car and ruining a comfortable car to that end is just sacrilege...save up and buy the McLaren 720s.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:30 AM

Yeah wymjim, you know I couldn't stand it if you had more HP than me! (You had that turbo ZX-11 bike, I had to get the ZX-14, etc...)

Thanks for the correction on that picture source you sent me. Sad, prolly means I have too much metal in the way to do that on the XE.

This is far different engine swap from the time I put a H22 in that Accord. Cost on the Jag to do this is currently unreasonable IMHO. The honda race engine H22a cost me like $2400.00, But I can dream? If I could just get the right engine for 5K..lol. The AJ126's can be had for $7K used which is closer to reasonable, but the 133's are in short supply, so far I've only found that one out of the LR SVR for $20K. Sheeish....

Last edited by Austin7; 10-27-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:25 PM
CSL

I went to the local auto parts store and got a hose clamp for that breather hose on the intake side. And just shorten the hose with a very sharp knife or scissors (measure after the tube is installed in it's final position).
See Pic Here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-stars-237675/

Also, please consider high flow air filters, K&N has a right and left for the XE, by using your original airboxes which have cold (ish) air flow I believe you'll find your best intake air temps and water protection...and I think you'll love the resonator delete. I trust you run without the engine cover on? Removing that also adds supercharger noise...and I've no heat issues with the hood. Saves weight too.
Thank you! Got a small hose clamp and cut down the breather hose to size-- everything is installed properly now.

I'm running no engine cover since the day I got the car. With this intake on the supercharger whine does seem a bit louder and more present through a wider RPM range. Apparently Mina Gallery is releasing a cone filter setup (like they have for the XF) that will further increase the whine. I might look into that, too.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:15 AM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Are KW only for RWD application?

Old 10-28-2020, 10:03 AM

I think that's a better question for KW Suspensions, as I did not see a AWD option in the KW Website configurator. So, maybe not? There might not be any difference in the struts from the factory between the RWD and AWD version, and if there is clearance, it should fit in that case.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:32 PM
CSL

It seems the poor man's Project 8 is possible! This company documented some of their progress in their IG: https://www.instagram.com/lr_chip/

VAP posted this photo of the Dragy results:
View this post on Instagram

Old 11-22-2020, 02:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I'm aware its really, really good at 450Hp. Keep in mind that f-type dyno chart for the tune and pulley from VAP was conducted with only with stock exhaust and filters and measured 450HP (Adj. to crank #'s). Great advice!

My suspension can't currently adaquately handle the available HP, I've gotta get the V3 K&W's installed as soon as I can afford them, that will be a big improvement over just the VAP and the H&R Sport/Lowing springs I have already tried. Stock rebound rates are too slow for those spring only kits, IMHO...lowering the car is an improvement in any case.

Rear tire width is a bottleneck, for sure.

I'm having new plugs installed (snake oil included) next week, after that I'll run her on the ole Mustang 500 Dyno and we'll see what she gets.

https://pulstar.com/how-it-works/
Curious what you mean but not able to handle? like flooring it around a corner? or suspension bottoms out on a launch? or even AWD burns rubber?

Old 11-22-2020, 04:51 PM

As for handing, I've noticed the H&R's matched up with the stock struts result in more "Bounces" than I like when hitting a swell at good speed.

I actually had them custom build me a RWD version of my XE through the factory delivery option. It's true most of these 6cyl Xe's are found with AWD. (I had an AWD before, handling was advantageous in ice and wet for sure! We don't see much Ice in Texas.), but when you drift around a corner there is nothing like the feel of a RWD, with both fronts still making grip to steer...you know, drifting. It's easier for me to control than an AWD at the same speeds. AWD will have a better 0-60 due to grip.

The rebound rate with the H&R's is a mismatch to the stock struts, which are factory set softish on my Premium model. The way to go IMHO is with a fully adjustable set so you can set the spring rate and the rebound rate independently, based upon your specific weight, drive train, desired ride feel, and desired height.

My guy at Soulspeed sets up cars for the track, so we should be able to get it dialed in just right for my needs with a more firm ride and more responsive suspension with a V3 Variant K&W set.

Last edited by Austin7; 11-22-2020 at 04:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (12-21-2023)