XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Powering devices via an XE

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powering devices via an XE

Hi, I recently brought home a 2018 XE and want to keep it looking its best, so I got a Porter Cable random orbit polisher (to use to buff out scratches and apply wax). I currently live in an apartment with no garage or lot parking. (But don't worry: I rent half of a private garage, where I store the car most of the time.) So I don't have easy access to a building's AC wall outlets. I'd like to use the XE itself to power the polisher.

So far I've tried using a 1000W inverter (and hooked it up to the XE's battery via the under-hood connections). It worked fine powering a blower that I use to help dry the car after washing it, but when I tried the polisher (even at the lowest speed), it was barely able to run. (The polisher looked like it wasn't getting enough current/amps. The car's engine was running, and the inverter's cables/cords were not overheating.) I probably should have figured this would happen, so now I'm looking for other options. One possibility may be getting a portable, rechargeable battery/inverter combination (like this one). By the way, I'm trying to avoid modifying the XE itself (or spending a small fortune).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

David