XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

PSA: Flash Drives / External HDDs work as media devices

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PSA: Flash Drives / External HDDs work as media devices

Found this out yesterday. I hated using the crappy incontrol app to play music. Formatted a 64GB flash drive to FAT32 and plugged it in. It will read all folders and all .mp3 media files. I also tested my 500GB external drive and it even had enough juice to power it. Worth a try if you store music locally.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Thanks.

Did it read the artist, title, song? I tried a couple of albums on usb and it did not recognize that info, but it could be my file structure.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:22 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

For some reason, when I plug an external drive (USB 3.0 SSD) into the usb port and start the car, it kills the navigation. Every time. Without fail.

Oddly, if I plug the drive in after starting the car, it doesn't kill it. So I just don't use it, because that's too much of a pain in the *** to unplug it every time before shutting the car off, and then plug it in again.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Thanks.

Did it read the artist, title, song? I tried a couple of albums on usb and it did not recognize that info, but it could be my file structure.
It seems to detect the songs and artist as long as it's titled " Artist - Song "

Old 05-24-2017, 03:02 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks.

That info is stored in the file's metadata. Download free program mp3tag and check whether this data exists. If not, you can enter it.

Alternatively you can open properties for this file (mp3) and switch to Details tab (on Windows of course). It should also contain metadata.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

does the folder structure have to be "root > artist > album > song"

Old 05-25-2017, 01:05 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

does the folder structure have to be "root > artist > album > song"
For me I created this structure you've mentioned but it is not very convenient. After my ICT is done playing through the folder it either loops through it again or stops. There is no option to go to another folder automatically.

In the future I'll put everything into a Root and then will browse using metadata rather than a folder structure

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ololly
For me I created this structure you've mentioned but it is not very convenient. After my ICT is done playing through the folder it either loops through it again or stops. There is no option to go to another folder automatically.

In the future I'll put everything into a Root and then will browse using metadata rather than a folder structure
I tried what you plan to do and with it all on the root I can't find anything as the UI is so damn slow! Also, using the burn Disc to HDD method blows also as I can't find anything as well as it takes way to long and I need to watch the road.

I thought I bought a masterpiece and I bought some hyped up Entertainment/Infotainment system. I played with some 2017 Audi/BMW cars and they work so much more fluidly, so smooth.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ololly

I pretty much setup mine to replace Sirius so I just have 15 genre folders in the root, (ie Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative, etc) and then just click on the folder and have it shuffle a few hundred songs in each folder. Works surprisingly well though if you want to play something specific there is no quick way to find it.

I also setup a folder in the Root called "New" where I dump my new music into so it's easier to find. After a few days I will move the songs from new into their correct genre folders.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

^ That method should work pretty well, but over time those folders will get large as you add to it and take longer to find a certain song or 2 as the UI is so super slow

Old 06-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

My ipod worked the first time but never gets automatically recognized next time I start the car. It requires me to unplug then reconnect,,,, then it works fine.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar problem with my ipod also with the exception that it mostly connects automatically. I can go weeks with it working seamlessly and then it will have a problem connecting for a couple of days. There doesn't appear to be any pattern to it and I don't think I'm doing anything different on those days. Like you said once you unplug it and plug it back in it works fine again. Maybe another software update is in order.